FNINJA

Jan 12, 2002
I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some info about my bike, a 00 KX125 I bought used. I have to admit that this was my first dirtbike and my first 2-stroke bike I've ever had. There were things that of course popped up after I bought it that need fixing and I didn't know to look for. The first thing I need to get is a service manual, any ideas on what brand to get, is the factory one the best choice? where's the place to get it? The two local dealers I went to in CT didn't have a exhaust gasket, let alone a service manual. Does anyone know the best setup as far as carb settings and sparkplug, the bike has a Pro Circuit works pipe with a PC 304 silencer. The person before me had a BR8EVX plug in it, which is a hotter plug. It was black and oily when I took it out, I bought a BR9 which is stock for it. Should I put a 8 back in instead? I'm not looking for the fastest KX at all, I just want it to be set up right, and not end up damaging the motor. Any info on fork seal how to? One seal is leaking. OK, one last thing, this whole dismantling thing started because it leaked oil, so after cleaning it I discoverd what was a hole? on the bottom of the motor right at the seams of the case. The hole is right below on the cases where the lower front engine mount bolt goes thru, but only on one of the halfs. I poked some safty wire into it and it seemed to go in about a inch and a half? I could put it all together and just fill it with oil( whats the best oil to put in? 10W30?) and look to see if it's leaking from there, but I figured I'd ask here first. Please be gentle on the replies I know I sound clueless, but everyone here was where I'm at at some point too. Jason

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
This work is best left to your dealer, as you are a novice it sounds. The fork seals need to be replaced, and you need to disassemble the forks and clean everything as well. Try posting in the suspension forum for a better response. The 9 range plug is a better choice for that bike. The carb needs to be adjusted to your specific climate. If its running rich, lean it out with the needle clip and smaller jets. For the broken case, you'll need to buy another half, or have the current one welded. I'd just buy a new case half. If you fill it up now, it will leak oil and let debris and water in when you ride, plus your bike will lose its oil and lead to more problems. Any good oil will work. I personally don't use bike specific oils, but any good brand of 10w30 (or 10w40 for colder weather) will do as long as it doesn't have an EC on the back of the bottle. Those oils have friction modifiers that will ruin your clutch so steer clear! Type F automatic transmission fluid also works well in 2 strokes. Make sure to change any oil after every couple rides so its always fresh. I would also recommend you check the airfilter. To clean it, get a 5 gallon bucket and pour a few gallons of kerosene in it. Then work the dirt and oil out of the filter. After that, get a pail of hot soapy water (dish soap only) and clean the filter in that. Then let it dry and apply an airfilter-specific oil to it and let it dry for a 15 minutes or so. Don't over oil it either, but make sure every area is thoroughly covered. Lube your chain and clean it if necessary. I would look into having the dealer so some of the work. BTW, how much did you pay for the bike?

Top Bottom