MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Following is what I did to my son's 2000 KX65. We bought it used but it was totally stock.

Frame: Many of the 2000's had a frame recall. Mine did and had not been performed by the previous owner. The work involves bracing being added to the steering head/lower frame area. I went ahead and tore the bike down to the frame to have this done so I could get it powder coated later. Had it powder coated flo green.

Suspension: Revalved and lifted by JM Racing. The forks had 5/8" travel added to them. The rear was lifted by replacing the dog bones. The revalving helped the suspension performance while the lift got it closer to a 2003 travel. Worthy of noting, with the shorter dog bones, we had to slide the forks down in the triple clamps as far as possible for best stability.

Engine: In order to baseline, I went ahead and installed a new top end and repacked the silencer. The motor ran ok this way but the stock jetting was way rich and the low rpm power very weak. From here we installed a Berg Racing air intake kit and leaned the main jet to a 200. This made a huge diffrerence in the low end power. Much cleaner power down low and less of a hit when going on the pipe.

Other than this, we installed new tires, renthal bars, brake pads etc... All in all, it's a pretty neat bike now but considering my total investment, I should've probably stepped up to an 03 model. The best mods for us were the suspension revalve and the Berg Racing air intake system.

Hope someone can benefit from this info.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Do you have any numbers or websites for the vendors that you used.  My son also has a 2000 KX65 that I would like to lift as well as perform some other mods.  Thanks.

Last edited:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I did everything through JM Racing. They did the suspension work, recommended the jetting specs (for Houston,TX) and intake components (Berg); and ordered the parts in for me. They do quite a bit of suspension work on a mail order basis; and I think they will mail order parts too. John Mitchell runs the best suspension shop in Houston, TX. He knows the KX65 very well. Here's the website:

www.jmracingsuspension.com

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Also forgot to mention. We went with a 47 tooth sprocket on the rear to help out the weak bottom end. In the long run, if we stay on this bike a while, I'll send the cyclinder to Eic Gorr.

CR500R

Nov 24, 2000
My son is on a 2002 KX65 and we rebuilt it after a long season of racing...

Put a new top end in it, new reeds, frame up lubrication...what a great bike.

Sent the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr more bottom to mid. LOVE IT!

Great hit from bottom with boysen reeds, stock pipe... We went to 14 tooth front...my son says , "it is easier to ride".

Check out http://www.teamgreennews.ca/techside.html for more mods

Send it to Gorr ASAP! :>)

Cr500R

Top Bottom