john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
does the 2002 cr250 with the cable operated powervalve need adjustment?because i read in a letterin a mag where a guy was thanking them for telling him to adjust his powervalve cables on his 02 cr 250 and he said they were out of adjustment and was thanking the mag for the article so i looked in the service manuel for aductment procedures and it said the cables are "automaticly adjusted via the servo motor and spring" so do these need to be adjusted or not??????????????????????????

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Pull the cover and check it. If you can push the cable and it touches the case it needs to be tightened. I have an article on how to do it I will email or put up for you when I get home today. I checked mine and it needed a couple of turns, made a slight difference too. ;)

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
powervalve

i am VERY interested on reading this article if you could post it that would be great ,i really would like to read it thanks

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
How to Adjust Your EPV

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR BIKE IS AFFECTED?
The CR's power valve servo has no way to take up slack in the cables. The power valves electronic module pulls the same amount of cable weather the cables are properly tightened or lazily slack. If the cables are slack, the servo motor will spend some of its precious rotation removing slack-
which means that at the end of its travel, the flapper valve will not have moved all the way up in the exhaust port. Oops! if the power valve cable is loose, a savvy rider will notice loss in top-end power. As with any cable-driven system, the cables must be checked & tightened at regular intervals. If you haven't checked your cables, you should-even it the bike is new. Unfortunately a number of CR250's come from the factory with loose power valve cables.
Luckily adjusting the CR250's servo cables is not much more complicated than adjusting a clutch cable. Here are the five steps to getting your flapper valve to open all the way:

1) Pull off the RC valve cover and turn the actuator counter- clockwise until it stops.
2) Push the left-side cable to the left. If you can push it to the point where it touches or almost touches the cylinder, it is too loose.
3) If the cable is loose, you will have to push the rubber cover on the cables out of the way to get a 10mm open-end wrench on the lock nut.
4) Using an 8mm opened-end wrench adjust the left side cable until it has a tiny bit of play in it. Do not make it taut.
5) Tighten the nut, pull the rubber cover down and put the RC valve cover back on. Now, enjoy the benefits of a fully open exhaust port.

O.K. John here it is, hope this helps. ;)
OOPS!! :uh: I almost forgot to give credit. The above article is from March 2002 MX Action mag. pages 114 & 116. Wouldn't want to be known as a plagiarist! :eek: :)

Last edited:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks Beef706. Sure was a lot of typing. Almost got arm pump and had to take a break. ;) :aj:

Almost forgot Beef706 I just put a 50T on the rear wheel. I will let you know this weekend how it pulls. :cool:

Last edited:

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
it did seem a little loose i noticed before i adjusted the cable that the valve did not close againsed the pin all the way (maybe 1/8-1/16 gap) when running at idle and after adjusting it was the same as before a small gap between the stopper and the valve , the cable did have less play though
i reved the bike and it looked like it opened all the way but when it closed it had a small gad between the stopper and the valve

is this normal??

Top Bottom