ksp

Apr 1, 2003
:think: I have an 04 YZ 250 2-stroke here. Seems like ever since it was new it has had some squealing from the clutch. When you pull the lever in it goes away, It is most noticeable when idling in neutral with the clutch lever out. I replaced the thrust bearing on the actuator and it did not help the problem.
Also the service manual does not seem accurate-it says the transmission oil capacity is 750ml (3/4 quart). When I drain it and refill it the most I can get in it is 300-400cc before the oil pours out the check hole. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

KSP

adrenaline420

Feb 17, 2005
I think your using the wrong check hole. mine fits 750ML b4 it drains out of the check hole. dont kno wnaything bout the squeeling in the clutch, my YZ 250 runs perfect, maybe their isnt enough gear oil.

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
My '05 YZ makes the same, low level noise and has since new, so I am not concerned by it. I beleive it's just the way that the clutch operates. As far as the tranny oil amount, I haven't changed mine yet. I can't picture the engine right now but if memory serves me, the check screw is on the right side and about two? inches up?

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
Yeah,
The oil level inspection hole is about 2in up on the right side. It has an 8mm head and a copper washer and oil pours out when I fill through the filler cap on the clutch cover so I don't think there could be any confusion on the right inspection hole?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I'm not sure about the "squealing" sound, but most bikes do make more noise when the clutch is out in neutral.

I always just fill mine with 0.6-0.7 quarts and forget about that messy check bolt.

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
I agree about the check hole. it is nowhere near 750ml. I change the oil fairly often, so i dont use the check hole. Just do a visual inspection under the bike before and after a ride for any leaks.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
I just did a test with a ratio rite to see exactly how much oil drains out when the level is set at the inspection hole. My results-just about 400cc. I don't know how Adrenaline is getting 750cc in without 350cc pouring back out the hole. I also called Yamaha Intl. in Cypress, Ca. They didn't seem to be interested in discussing it.

KSP

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
ksp,
What does the manual say about it under the maintenance section? I think you can use the check hole to verify that the oil level is at or above that point. 750cc or ml (whichever way you want to interpret it) will fit into the gear box. When I did my '84 CR250, it says 650cc I believe, I put in amount. After filling I looked in with a flashlight and could not see the oil level. It took roughly 25 ounces of a 32 ounce bottle of the Honda gear oil. Search that manual from cover to cover, it should explain somewhere in there of what to be looking for.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
The manual contradicts itself as it says: "To check transmission oil, remove oil check bolt, if oil flows out, level is correct. If oil does not flow out, add transmission oil UNTIL oil flows out". Then, on the next page it says under transmission oil replacement, "drain the transmission oil and refill with .75L (750cc) 10-30 motor oil" it also says on the engine sidecover
"oil 750cm3" which I would assume means 750cc. When I fill the transmission with oil, it starts pouring out the check hole when I reach 400cc capacity.

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
cm3=cc=ml. I would put the check bolt in and fill it up with 750cc of oil. If you change your oil on a regular basis, you should have no problems. If you don't, then use the screw once in a while to make sure the level is ok.

ksp

Apr 1, 2003
:yeehaw: Thanks to everybody for your 2cts.I think I figured this one out. When I put 750cc (measured ) into the transmission the noise goes away, therefore some bearing, bushing or some moving part must not be getting enough lubrication with the oil level set at the inspection hole (400cc). Although Yamaha is making some great products these days as far as I can tell their manual is WRONG.

KSP

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom