trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
A friend has just drained all the oil from his forks only to find the owner's manual doesn't mention how much they hold. It's a 2000 300 EXC, stock I presume. Also, I've read that using ATF is acceptable, but what type, Mobil 1 or others? What weight does the ATF compare to in standard fork oil? Thanks.

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
Go get some 5 wt fork oil...you can use ATf, they are all close to 5wt.
In the 2k forks...run between 150 to 170 oil height, depending on rider weight and conditions.

e.c.bert

Mar 11, 2002
Marzzoci 45mm conventional / setup

Hi, those forks of yours will take 18 oz. of fluid per leg;( 480cc). You may consider changing your seals now while they're apart. About the ATF as a economical fluid to use; it works great as long as it is Mobil 1 or, my favorite Valvoline synthetic blend in the blue bottle. A great set of forks you have there on your EXC! A set of .44 kg. springs would balance your setup and allow you to more affectively adjust your compression dampening. Also, most people run to much rebound dampening when they should be addressing more compression in the shock. Whereby, a EXC std. spring in the rear is comfortable with minimal preload, an extra click ( only have 4) of compression dampening and run the rebound light on both ends. robtirma@msn.com:silly:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
ecbert....he would have WP's up front not zokes on a 2000 (at least thats what mine has!) Now...my 97 has zokes

Matthew

Mar 24, 2001
The best oil to use is the Race Tech fork oil. That stuff seems to really work good and last a long time. The only problem is that it is very slick and you should probably change your fork seals if you change to that oil to prevent seal leakage. I also run 135mm of air chamber length in the forks. My manual says 130-145mm for a 2000 300exc. I ran 175mm on a 1995 300exc with the 45mm Zokes.

Matt

Top Bottom