CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
I have come across a 450SX that is woods readied for sale in my area. Sprockets have been changed to help with gearing(ratio?) and an E-button and battery have been added. I had a 400EXC and loved it(sold it...doh!) and now I am ready for a new bike. The EXC are much tougher to find and the ones I have found are 1,000 to 1,500 dollars more. The SX is owned by someone I know and it has been taken very good care of. I am just concerned whether or not it will be too much it the woods. I had a YZ426 set up for woods and it made you feel like you were going a hundred miles an hour through tight pines. The difference with the YZ and SX is that the SX has a better turning radius. The YZ had half the radius that this SX does(and about the same that my EXC had). Speaking of that can the brain be moved from the location ahead of the tank to somewhere else to give a little more turning area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Hopefully someone will chime in on this as I am curious also.

I only do woods riding on my recently purchased (last month) 525SX. I have not changed anything yet.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
If you know the owner it would seem reasonable to ask if you could take it out on the trails to find out for yourself how well it does. That way you will be able to do a seat of the pants comparison between the SX and the EXC that you sold. One thing to keep in mind is that you may have much less demand for the SX when it comes time to sell it.

CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
The "demand" for the bike on the resale has been on my mind. I think I have talked myself out of the SX. I have found a couple dealers within reasonable distances that have the EXC. I have also considered the 300MXC but I know nothing about the MXC's besides what the dealers state.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I have been riding 300EXC's since 1999 after coming off of a Honda XR400. There has never been a single day or ride that I regretted the choice. That's probably why I'm on my second one. Interestingly I bought my current '02 300E from a friend. He had an MXC prior to the EXC and liked the MXC much better.

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
new dirt rider magazine gives the 04 exc 300 great reviews.I have the 02 sx 400 and is set up for woods.preforms well except for very tight technical trails,it is geared too high(13/53).the question is if your very aggressive the sx will work good but the exc is the better choice.my 14 year old son who was ridding a 02 suzki rm125 took my sx 400 from me cause he loves the motor,so if he can ride it in the woods well?

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
My 14 year old liked it a big bunch too, Pat. Don't know what's up with these 14 year olds anymore, lol. We're gonna be there tomorrow, btw, got my shock fixed.

Agent Orange

Feb 4, 2004
I ride the 450SX in tight steep woods and love every minute of it! I am running 14-52 combo, bark busters, IMS tank, EE Shark fin and the rest is stock. My previous bike was a CR250 and I never look back. I can ride twice as fast and far on the SX. Top speeds aren't great so the EXC may be more appropriate if you need that. The only two things I would really like to add to the bike are the e-button and a damper. Hey Chip, think your buddy would part with the e-button kit?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Whuutt? Everybody knows Al don't ride in no dang ol' woods...specially tight, steep ones

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Wade, you fell for it just like some of the rest of us did. The Agent Orange (with a space between) up there isn't Al. His AgentOrange has no space between :) Freaked a bunch of us out. I was trying to figure out if he forgot he rode a CRF or if he got rid of it.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
AgentOrange said:
Wade and Eddie, you know me to well!

And I forgot to tell anyone I moved to Redding.

Yeah, I see that now, hey Al...the fellas are going rock chuckin' White Rock style this weekend...I've got room for one more in the big rig. I'll be in Belton around 4ish tomorrow... :eek:

AgentOrange

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 18, 2000
Thanks for the invite Wade, I wish I could... Got to work. White Rock is a great trip and I know you will good time. Is the weather going to cooperate?

Agent Orange

Feb 4, 2004
Agent( )Orange

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about CR Swade. You KC folks can be hard to figure out sometimes. Shoot, didn't know there was an Agent Orange already, new to this forum. How is the riding back in KC? I get back there a couple times a year(inlaws) and have wondered what the riding is like.

Top Bottom