Status
Not open for further replies.

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
hey im thinking about buying a 82 suzuki rm 125 liquid cooled 6spd dirtbike, was apprently just rebuilt just before he bought it this summer, and he only selling cuz he aitn got time to ride and room and also has only had it out to ride 3 or 4 times, he says he doesnt know to to jump it nor does he know how to ride aggresivly LOL..... but im wondering how these bikes are ?? like i use to own a 78 Suzuki DS100 5spd air cooled bike will it be waaaay faster then my old bike ??? uh what kinda stuff should i be looking for when i go to look at it ??? is there anything that will stand out on the motor after a rebuild??? he says it starts up within the first kick and all, rear brakes are good, and everythign else runs good for a 82 he says, only downfalls are the paint on the plastics are faded, and the cables on the front for the frotn brakes and throttle need to be zip tied down on something...... also he is wanting 500 and says he is firm on it, but member im in CANADA!!!! :p let me know what you guys think, thanks Rob

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
it was just rebuilt not long ago she is barely just broken in basically the guy that has it now has only been out on it 3-4 times, and it was rebuilt like just before he got it by some ppl over in port perry i think..... oh ya also its a mono shock in ther rear, do those bikes have power bands in every gear ??? and would it be too much if me and my g/f doubled up on it for a ride once in awhile?? or would it be better to let her try it ?? she never drove a bike before and HAS no idea how to , just dont want her to get hurt nor do i want her to wreck it LOL

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
does anyone think the bike will be too high for me??? im 5ft 8 or 9 somewere in there LOL and about 135lbs ya i no im a little guy LOL or should it be a good size like hieght wise and stuff, cuz my 78 ds100 was a perfect size fo rme coulda been maybe a few inchs higher but i liked it... what you guys think???

Jun 5, 2006
Your pretty good size, definitely not too small. You asked if it had a powerband in everygear. All bikes have powerbands. It is just a way to describe how the bike gives out power. In a modern two stroke engine, they will have little low end power, and then a powerful and somewhat explosive (especially on the 125's, although much less so on the older ones) midrange to top end. I'm sure u and your girlfriend could double up on it.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
I recently bought an 81 rm 125 for 100 bucks but it wasnt running and is in pretty rough shape but i intend on fixing it up. Hopefull it will only cost a couple hundred bucks more to get everything. But from what i've read about the 81's and 82's is that they're top end motors, which means theres alot of power up top, some in the mid, and nothing down low so get good with your clutch.

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
ya cool sounds alright, i was just kinda worried that the bike might be a little to high for me LOL, and also my buddy was saying that if me and her doubled up on it, that it would be too heavy for the bike since it a mono shock, and apprently a guy that drove a similar bike he says that this bike will have lots of snot all the way through the gears tho, he said they aint got much top end more bottom and mid then anything.....i will try and grab a pic for some of yous ok... just gotta figure out how to host it with out putting on my photobucket and using all my space on there LOL, i did know my old bike i could feel the power band in 1,2, and a bit in 3rd not so much through 4 or 5th, but i was curious about this rm125 if it will be a mid kick or as you say a explosive kick :debil: LOL since the bike's motor was rebuilt just before he bought and he only rode it 3-4 times this year so she prolly just barely broken, if not she is prolly broken in and running good...

AusTex

Jul 1, 2006
If the motor has been rebuilt to original compression, then you WILL have a very fast bike with a powerband in every gear. The '82 125's and especially the 250's had some of the best "production-works" motors then and since. But, they were all top end power best suited for experts. They were later de-tuned to suit the masses. I was a Yamaha guy back then, pity.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
kx125412 said:
I recently bought an 81 rm 125 for 100 bucks but it wasnt running and is in pretty rough shape but i intend on fixing it up. Hopefull it will only cost a couple hundred bucks more to get everything.

On a 1981-2 bike, that is a pretty wishful thing to hope for. Parts are going to be very hard to find for it and many have been discontinued by the factory.

As for the original poster's bike, I would want to see some sort of proof that it was rebuilt and I'd also check it over VERY closely to make sure it runs well and is solid.

The reason I say this is that if you read the classifieds, EVERY bike is "just rebuilt" before it is sold and I'd say that 98% of those ads are blatant lies.

The last thing you want to buy is a 1982 money pit.

A friend bought a 1982 RM125 a few years back, in fact. He paid $400 for it and ended up putting at least another $400 into it. I think he rode it all of five minutes in the time he owned it. As soon as he fixed one item, something else broke on it. Last I knew he'd sold it, for $400.

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
well , i bought her up last niight, and she has LOTS of compression havent tested it yet, but you can feel it on the kick when u try to kick it over.... and HOLY CRAP!!!!!! she hauls ass!!!! it as quick as a newer 250 ;) raced one LOL :nener:

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
here is a coulpe pics i hope they work LOL
PDR_0259.jpg

PDR_0260.jpg

AusTex

Jul 1, 2006
I see you're building some jumps in the background ;)

Those Suzukis were so advanced from what was out prior. They really started the modern motocross bike era. Back in '82 I do believe Mark Barnett won every pro 125 moto on that bike.

Have fun with your new bike!

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
naw they are re doing the road or something beside my house LOL.. but i need to get a few things fixed on it before i can really ride it now :( need to get the clutch cable adjusted properly since a new cable went on and was not adjusted properly, also need the chain tightened up, gonna get the oil changed in her, get a few of the loose cable's zip tied outta the way, and hopefully get the rear spring/shock lowered about 1 inch or so, then i can be flat footed, instead of the balls of my feet LOL, also needs a coulpe bolts to hold the gas tank on, and i think that is it :think: , ya i know sounds like a lot but it really isnt much at all, it basically all little things

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
thing is no rear peg's and also having her try to hold one with out falling off would be hard, cuz i had a 78 ds100 and she was on with me and everytime i shifted gears the front came off the ground, and this bike is a POWER HOUSE compared to my old one lol might be a bad combination lol im still getting use to the power yet

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Well when you shift just ease the throttle instead of cracking it and just take it a bit easy. As for the foot pegs for the back just get her to hold onto you and tell her to keep her legs up so her pants dont get caught in the chain. You wont be going for long, long rides anyways.

2stroke125

Jul 2, 2006
hmmm... might give it a shot once i get use to driving the bike by myself since it been about 2 years since i have drove my old bike LOL

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
2stroke125 said:
thing is no rear peg's and also having her try to hold one with out falling off would be hard, cuz i had a 78 ds100 and she was on with me and everytime i shifted gears the front came off the ground, and this bike is a POWER HOUSE compared to my old one lol might be a bad combination lol im still getting use to the power yet

There is a reason the bike doesn't have rear pegs:

IT ISN'T DESIGNED TO CARRY A PASSENGER.

Riding two-up on an MX bike isn't very smart. Just think what would happen to her foot if she gets off-balance and it winds up in the rear wheel or gets caught in the chain.

Yes, we've all done it in a pinch. But making a habit out of it isn't very smart. A passengers safety is your responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom