1986kdx200

Jan 1, 2013
When I got my bike the rear drum was so wore that new shoes won't even help, a new one ( if you're lucky enough to find one) is a couple hundred bucks. I can't be the only guy this happened to...what's the fix, a spacer at the pivot point? One of you ol' kdx guy's has a trick up your sleave, thanks for looking

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Hi,
if the drum is not very wore you can put a spacer on the shoes, on the pivot, like a bit of steel sheet with 1mm thick.
Its not the best fix, you really want to have the hub resleeved. Im not sure what is the best steel to resleeve but any auto repair shop may be able to help you...

DGA

Mar 1, 2010
1986kdx200 said:
what hub did you use? i was thinking of trying that myself, i work at a fab shop
I used a KX250 rear hub and disc, not sure what year, nineties model I think. You have to change the disc side spokes but the left side ones are the same. Needs a new bearing spacer machining for the disc side, but the KX one might work, but I didn't have that. Caliper mount works fine on the KDX swingarm block. Need to weld a mount on the back of the frame for the master cylinder mount and there isn't a ton of room there, and also weld a tab on the KDX brake pedal for the pushrod. I mounted the master cylinder reseviour under the rear shock resevoiur clamp.

Attachments

• KDX small rear.jpg
    KDX small rear.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 292

DGA

Mar 1, 2010
Thanks. The old drum rear worked, but was never consistent, if you forded a creek and it got wet it didn't work hardly, and was never very strong. I like the disc mostly for steep downhills in tight woods when you can't use too much front brake, you can count on it to always be there and work.

I have considered buying a new Gasgas 300 lately, and retiring the KDX ( I could never sell it), but everytime I go ride it I just can't say enough good things about the bike. It does just what I want and handles like it's a part of you, and over the 27 years I have owned it it's never let me down once.

2ktrott

Apr 17, 2013
DGA, Any chance I could ask a favor of you? I have a 86 KDX200 that I picked up in pieces and was missing the stator cover. Ordered one and it does not cover stator. Not sure if it is wrong cover or stator not pressing on crank enough. Any chance you could snape a close up of from the front of your stator cover so I can try an figure out my probelm? If you have a tape handy, could you als measure the depth of your cover? I would greatly apprecaite it as I am ready to start it and just need to figure out how to cover stator. Thanks

DGA

Mar 1, 2010
Ok there is a mostly flat area in the center of the cover. This is 3.5" in diameter. The flat area is 1.375" deep. I just measured my spare cover so didn't measure the rotor diameter. Is there a chance someone added a heavy rotor, or you are not using a gasket and it is that close originally?

Top Bottom