96-01 YZ cracked gas tanks! will 02 fit?

Discussion in 'Big Bikes' started by bclapham, Jul 21, 2002.

1. bclapham

bclapham Lifetime Sponsor

Today i noticed that the gas tank on my 01 yz250 is cracked! the cracks are near the top of the tank where the middle of the three radiator shrould bolts go. it is cracked on both sides, and each crack is about 2 inches. It appears that the crack has come about from me getting forward on the seat in corners, but i am quite upset since i dont believe i have put that much pressure on to break it.

so here goes with my questions:

1. i have heard about cracked tanks on YZ-F's but has anyone had it happen on the 96-01 YZ's?
    2. Does anyone know if i will be able to do a repair?
    3. Has anyone tried the Clarke stock tank? at $165, they are a lot cheaper than OEM....are there any other manufacturers of stock tanks?
    4. will an 02 tank fit the 01?....if i am going to fork out some cash, i may as well make mine look like an 02!

thanks

bruce

ps. if anyone has a tank for sale then please let me know!

2. holeshot

holeshot Crazy Russian

Bruce:

The cracked tank thing seems to be contagious. :)

I tried melting the crack:moon: shut with a soldering gun and then melting a piece of fender over the crack, but it still leaks like a seive. I'm adding PVC glue (the kind you use for PVC pipe) just to see what happens, but I think only realistic solution is a new Clark tank for my YZF.

3. marcusgunby

marcusgunby Lifetime Sponsor

Bruce once you rode my Cr you wont want anything blue again;)

4. bclapham

Hi ron! look like you beat me to the chase since i was going to drop you a line. I am sorry you had to leave early on friday, i was looking forward to riding with you.....i kept chasing down JP but then he would bypass the whoops and the table top and i couldnt catch up. i took a spin on his exc and went faster than on my yz, a real soafer on wheels (i was wondering if it had a DVD player and cup holder!!:))

I am obviously pissed at my tank, its near the top so i will keep riding for a couple of weeks, but i can see big spends in the future! i may have a go at fixing it but i cant see a happy out come, i will probably go for the clarke, but i want to find out if the 02 will fit so i can make my bike look newer.

Marcus: Can you remember Viz comic? Just out of interest, the character Buster Gonads and his amazingly large $%#@*&^les was inspired by my good self! :eek: Make sure you reinforce that tank, and have a wheel barrow ready! :p I think this may be the reason for the breakage!

as regarding red vs blue, you are right, but its a shame honda dont make them as good as you do! i will drop you a line with some suspension questions soon if that is ok!

thanks guys

bruce

5. WR250Z

WR250Z Novice

The '02 tank won't fit. The backbone is different.

6. yzeater

yzeater Subscriber

This probably wouldn't work...but could you try something like JB Weld on the tank? On the container it says it fixes gas tanks and works on plastic. It may not be the prettiest fix, but it could work

7. bclapham

Thanks wr, i didnt think it would either, and in addition the more i thought about it i might have had to change the seat as well.

thanks yz, the reason the tank has cracked is from the stress of my weight getting right over the tank in corners. i would expect that JB would be to brittle for such an application and with the tank being plastic the JB would not "key" to the surface, that being said i will check to see if there are any products that might work, i am thinking of something with a strong solvent base that will melt or weld it together.

8. holeshot

holeshot Crazy Russian

If you go to ThumperTalk.com and do a search in the 426 forum for "crack tank", you'll see quite a few threads regarding the problem, along with any attempted fixes.

I don't know why I attempted to fix mine, because I'd never be comfortable riding with a patched tank anyway.... :)

9. SiCnTwIsTdYz

SiCnTwIsTdYz Pro Class

my 2000 yz125's gas tank is not cracked i had my bike for 2 years

10. MXP1MP

MXP1MP Pro Champ

Just to anwser your question about the '02 tank fitting no it won't cause of the way the backbone is for '02. Its not round its actually alittle more of a flat oval shape and I think they mount in slightly different positions. I'd go with the clarke tank they make good tanks.