Anybody know how to change rear shock oil ?

KDX_Mad

Jul 18, 2001
Anybody know how to change rear shock oil on their KDX ? I want to service my shock myself. I need to know what special tools I need to buy to change the oil.

Also. Where can I buy nitrogen and the gauges that I'll need to charge the bladder? And...Do you need a permit to buy nitrogen? Or is it sold over the counter?

Thanks,
KDX Mad

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Consult your manual. It will tell you how much oil and what amounts of nitrogen you can use. No special tools needed at least for my bike and it was pretty easy.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Si

Pacific Pesos you mean.

Paso was a failed Ducati styling attempt to copy the first CBR600 & consequently worth about 3 1/2 Big Macs.

1 NZ Rupees = 0.92 Groat
1 Groat = ¾ Cubit
etc

McDonalds currency. Love it! How sad our world has become that we relate things to the value of Big Macs.

Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
You can change the shock oil yourself, but for recharging, take it to a shop. I work at an automotive dealer and we use nitrogen for checking for A/C leaks, so it's readily available to me, but kinda costly for someone to rent a tank, buy a guage and hose. Bleed off the reservoir before disassembling, then take apart, clean, and reassemble. Make sure to bleed all air from the shock before charging the bladder with nitrogen. Your best bet is to take it to a bike shop where they will do the whole procedure relatively cheap!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Some are just a few cubits short of an ark!

:)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Shocking!!

1. Anybody know?
Yes. Release pressure, depress bladder cap, remove retaining clip, remove bladder, remove oil.

2.Where can I buy nitrogen/gauges?
Have a phone book? Lookup welding equipment/supplies.

3. Over the counter?
No. Usually under the counter cuz the bottles are heavy. ;)

There is of course just a teensy weensy bit more to it than that.:scream:

Kootenaycat

Feb 27, 2002
What did you expect! Of course EVERYBODY can remove and reinstall their rear shock! But not everybody has the tools and equipment or wants to spend the BUCKS on the tools and equipment to COMPLETELY rebuild their bikes! If everyone in the world could do this, then there would be thousands of certified TECHS without jobs in this country!!!!
Take out your rear shock, take it to a REPUTABLE shop , and PAY the SMALL fee to have it rebuilt!!!
Just my $.02 worth as a Journeyman Tech!!!!

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Well you asked
Nitrogen bottle $125 or $19 per month rent
Proper gauge for the bottle $185
Oil to do oil change $40 per gal
Proper gauge to charge shock $125
Two hrs of your time priceless

Having a nitrogen bottle is not such a bad thing, you can change about 15 tires with the gas in one small bottle.
If you are changing your oil in your shock after every 4 races it is a good investment.
I have all the tools and now take my shocks to the shop to get serviced

I think most shops will do an oil change in a shock for about $75 tops

00 380 exc for sale
00 520 exc
03 540 exc on order hahahaha

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I picked up Eric Gorr's suspension service video quite some time ago. Its worth having a look at and goes over what's involved in good detail. You can find a link to Eric's site, Forward Motion Racing, to the left of this page.

MX Tech recommends and used Mobil One fully synthetic ATF fluid in both forks and shocks. It's much cheaper than "motorcycle suspension fluid" and is readily available.

You won't have any problem finding a local shop to recharge your shock. Many shops will do it for free.

David

Top Bottom