DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Considering switching my old AT&T phone out for a fancy new GSM one this week and wondered if anyone has tried this service at Cooperland. If coverage is nil I'll probably hold off until after DW, but I'd rather not since my regular AT&T phone barely worked there last year and they've got a screaming promo going on now.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
there are some that can get a decent signal out there, I can only if I go to the top of the tower.

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
I have one of the new GSM phones man, I can tell you one thing, it sucks. I have been with the same company for several years now and it is getting worse and worse. I spend 90% of my time roaming and the other 10% with no service. There is one spot in the local 100 mile area I can get a full bar of AT&T and it's rare. I think I am going to sprint or verizon soon.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I just had the GSM discussion with a coworker this AM. He's not happy.

I've got Cingular that I have used at the two previous DW's and it works fine. A little sketchy from the bottom of the pits but no worries if I walked up to the end closest to the track and away from the trees.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Interesting. I've found Sprint to be all or nothing in Texas compared to standard AT&T Digital. With AT&T I've always had at least some connection and been able to talk. It worked at Cooperland last year as long as I went up the hill toward the entrance (was pretty much dead in the pits).

My friends with AT&T GSM really like it, except one here in Austin. He loved it and it worked great at the office but not from his house. He switched to Sprint and now it works great from his house but zero signal at our office!

I really don't know why they're working on 3G and 4G when they can barely get 2G to work!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cingular wooked good at CL for me last year. AT&T didn't have any kind of service at my house so I ditched them and now the Cingular service is getting spotty out that way which is a disappointment. "Can ya' hear me know?" seems to be a large portion of my conversations.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'm taking the GSM plunge based on the build-out they've done just recently in Texas. Looked at their GSM map as well as confirming with AT&T rep that Stillwater has GSM coverage. Of course it may only be by OSU but we'll see in a couple weeks...

GSM is where all the new towers are going up and it has the best rate plans, including unlimited free mobile-to-mobile. In addition, Cingular -- who's buying ATTWS -- is also GSM, so the direction is clear with the combination of the two.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've been an AT&T mobile customer for close to 20 years and just recently switched to the GSM plan. It SUCKS!.

86 RM125

Feb 7, 2004
I swithced recently from the normal service to gsm and it sucks it is supposed to have a stronger signal but i can't get a full signal at my house and i live 300yds from a at&t tower.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Why not switch back then? You have 30 days to do so.

I may switch the wife first to get her on a better rate plan, get her a new phone, etc. All her calling is from within Austin anyway and that will give me a chance to see how she likes it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
All cell phone service will be bad @ Cooperland. It is just the terrain. Go to the top of the hill and most all of them work.

Top Bottom