Best Bike For Soon To Be 11 Year Old

Feb 20, 2004
im with the guy who said give him a 500! actually when i started out i was 6 and started on a pw 80 then jumped from there to a TY 175! then since that got stolen i got a TTR125L. so to learn good clutch i would say try a 65 start him off slow.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LOL! There is a world of difference between a TY175 and any current 85 MXer, both in seat height and power delivery.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Patman said:
I just can't fathom the idea of throwing a kid on a bike that is half way up their chest because they will grow in to it.

Neither can I. But I sure can't fathom the idea of buying a bike for a kid that will only suit him for one year if that. Must be nice to buy your kid a new bike every year.

W/out spending one red cent, you can lower the seat height of an 85 2-3 inches. Other than cutting the seat foam, the bike can then be raised as the child grows. There's nothing wrong with that in my book.

Kids will learn to ride quicker than you think.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
mxracer2000,

Apparently other posters felt I was suggesting you purchase a bike way over your son's ablility, which would inturn scare or injure him. That was in no way my intention. As I would never put my son, or anyones child for that matter, in danger in any way shape or form.

You should buy what you think is best for your son. And of course what he feels comfortable and confident on. And, of course, what he will have the most fun on.

Good luck, Steve.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
We've been upsizing bikes about every 2-2.5 years lately. The XR80 came when he was just about 10 and it was a little big but manageable, the CR85 came this year and he's 12 which I suspect will last about 1.5 to 2 years tops at the rate he's growing. Since we're keeping the XR for a play bike and bought the CR used I'm not taking much of a beating on it when it needs sold to cover a 125. Buying a new bike would be pretty tough every few years because they usually depriciate pretty quick.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Well we went to a bike shop and determined that the 85 would be a bit big for him this year. I picked up a used 02 KX65 yesterday that fits him really well. Now if the rest of the snow would melt we could go try it out. Thanks everyone for your input.

Top Bottom