ak21

Aug 3, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10 140lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? average
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????woods, fields with friends, jumps
4) Do you have any riding experience?slim to none
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?not sure
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? no preference
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, he has pretty much anything
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?around $1500 for a used
10) Do you live in California?no
11) Your age?15
I'm just looking for a bike that would be good to learn on and still be fun to ride after a year or 2
help?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A 4 stroke trail bike such as a TTR230, XR200 or XR250, etc. . . would be ideal - EXCEPT you're wanting to ride on MX and SX tracks.

A 2 stroke MX 125 (CR, RM, YX, KX) would be a better choice for track riding because of lower weight, better suspension, etc. . .). Easy to find a good used one for $1500 or less.

A 4 Stroke MX 250f (YZ250f, KX-f, CRF-R, RM-z) would probably be the best choice overall, but you'll have thin pickins on quality used ones at $1500.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with Robwbright...except for the 250F 4 stroke suggestion. A 15 year old with a $1500 budget doesnt want the maintenance bill that a 250F brings.

It really depends on how much trail riding vs MX tracks you plan on riding. No 1 bike is extremely efficient at both..that is why they make MX bikes and trail bikes. A 125 2 stroke motocross bike is a horrible trail bike for a beginner...on the other hand it will be an excellent choice for the track.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XR250 or KDX200.

ak21

Aug 3, 2010
Im really leaning towards the yz125 because I think it would be a good size and be a good bike to learn on but still have enough power for when im more experienced, and there are also quite a few cheap ones in my area
thanks for the input guys

skiz

May 22, 2010
jb_dallas said:
A 15 year old with a $1500 budget doesnt want the maintenance bill that a 250F brings.
Could you expand on that 4stroke maintenance thought. . If I buy 4stroke what higher maintenance do I get ?
jb_dallas said:
It really depends on how much trail riding vs MX tracks you plan on riding. No 1 bike is extremely efficient at both..that is why they make MX bikes and trail bikes. A 125 2 stroke motocross bike is a horrible trail bike for a beginner...on the other hand it will be an excellent choice for the track.
So for a young beginner you would recommend a 4stroke for a trail rider and a 2stroke for a track racer ?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Skiz

Search this site about modern 4 stroke maintenance...it a topic that has been discussed time and time again in detail. Basically, a 250F requires frequent maintenance, such as valve adjustments and occasional top end rebuilds which require a certain amount of mechanical inclination. A $1500 250F is a ticking timebomb if you dont know exactly what you are doing...no offense...I dont think you do.

skiz

May 22, 2010
jb_dallas said:
Skiz

Search this site about modern 4 stroke maintenance...it a topic that has been discussed time and time again in detail. Basically, a 250F requires frequent maintenance, such as valve adjustments and occasional top end rebuilds which require a certain amount of mechanical inclination. A $1500 250F is a ticking timebomb if you dont know exactly what you are doing...no offense...I dont think you do.
"if you dont know exactly what you are doing...no offense...I dont think you do."
I take no offense at the truth. . The question is, how to adjust to the truth. . Since I don't know what I'm doing (maintenance/mechanical wise), do I:
1] forget buying a 4 stroke
2] follow a schedule that's laid out for me

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Skiz

Not all 4 strokes are created equal. There are low maintenance 4 strokes like my XR and there are very high maintenance 4 strokes like any 250F. There are not any Japanese made 2 stroke trail bikes currently manufactured. KTM makes several, but they are expensive. Yamaha made a 2 stroke WR (wide range transmission for the trail) until about 1998 and they were good trail bikes, but 12 years is getting fairly old. As Patman mentioned, the KDX is an excellent choice..but Kawasaki stopped making those in the early 2000s. Just buy an XR and be done...low maintenance and reliable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom