Nov 28, 2006
Has anyone ever tried makin a stand without welding? Like out of wood? Not necessarily the foot-lift one that I saw a thread on earlier... but just a simple little bike stand.

I'm not into metalworking but I do everything else :)

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Ya cut 2 peoces of ply wood, then get some 2 by 6s and make a stand.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I found this to be a bit short for my purposes, so I added 2 10 inch pieces of 2x6 to the top... It's perfect for the YZ85 now.

Attachments

• IMG_8233 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8233 (Small).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 552
Nov 28, 2006
How do you usually get the bike up onto the stand? Assuming it's not a foot lift or any other type of lift. Just brute force? Have someone help you lift it?

(Talkin about a large heavy bike... small bikes are easy)

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Tipping the stand a bit helps sometimes. All we have are foot lifts now though. Occasionally use a bucket if no foot lifts are around.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I've used a 5 gallon bucket, a cinder block with a rag on top, and the rectangular metal crates (like milk crates, they're not too hard to find). The bike I have now is easy though, kick the stand down, and your good to go. Lol. Just yet another option.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
pidro_el_pirata said:
How do you usually get the bike up onto the stand? Assuming it's not a foot lift or any other type of lift. Just brute force? Have someone help you lift it?

I'm not real tall, and not particularly strong, but what I do is stand on the left of my bike with my left hand on the grip, and my right hand on the swingarm right behind the engine.

This way you can almost lift the bike straight out on it's side and lay it on the stand.

It's really not hard to get it up that way.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
5 gallon buckets (found discarded at any construction site) do me well. Though I do have a bike lift for jobs that need serious work.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I use a 5 gallon water jug "crate" with a square of plywood on it with rubber on top of it.I got it from the truck driver who delivers them where i work.I paid 5 dollars for it.The same goes for 30.00 in that catalogs.Next time you see on those guys just ask him.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i have a stand made out of wood.. works well..

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I used a cheap (<$5) plastic lawn table from Home Depot for about 4 years until it finally broke when my bike fell over onto it.

I have tried the plastic 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot but it bent and gave way. Will try a paint bucket. Looks like the plastic is more rigid.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The Rubbermaid step stool Chili posted works great. Not only is it a good bike stand (way better than a 5 gallon bucket), but it is great to use as a step when you are loading your bike into the back of a truck.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
My friends use old school desks, those are SUPER NICE because they put the bike up nice and high and you can work on the motor without sitting or bending over and straining your back. Hardest part with those is just getting it up.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
pidro_el_pirata said:

It's all in the hips.

1. Roll the bike alongside the stand with the front tire ahead and slightly in front (bars should not be straight but trurned to the left some)
2. Grasp firmly the pipe or sub frame from across the seat
3. Tip bike onto right hip
4. In one motion, lift up while tipping more, raise your right heal off the ground and HIP that bad boy up. Use more lean and more hip and less lift. If you are angry because you blew the moto then you kind of throw it on up. If your completely spent after the moto, tilt it against your car then hip it up later after your rested.

Good luck.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I used a basket from my Mothers old freezer until last year. It was a 1950's model and was very well made! I started using it in 1976! And its still around :nod: Its just that my new aluminum one is sooo much cooler :)

Nov 28, 2006
So I built this extravagant foot lift. I cant weld so I made it out of steel piping (galvanized steel) because then I could just use loosely threaded joints for the pivot points, which I did.

I tried it out and it lifted the bike great, but it swayed a bit to the side and snapped cause it's not very wide, and understandably top heavy.

Oh well.

Hey so do those plastic milk crates hold up well? I have a 300 lb WR250 and i dont want to risk having it smash through the crate lol

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The milk crates work well, but most are too short a for modern bikes. I have seen some at Target? that were taller, but I'm not sure that they are as strong as the real thing. Chilis rubber maid stand looks to be a good alternative.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I've had the Rubbermaid step that Chilli posted since 96 or 97, works great, and I think it was like $7 back when I got it. It's holding the KX up in the apartment as we speak. :)

Nov 28, 2006
Really? I dunno, I just cant imagine that little thing doing that kind of lifting. I mean my WR is 300 pounds and we're talking about resting all of that on a single square foot of plastic... i just dont believe it.

Top Bottom