rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
I thought I would start this thread to get some thoughts from other riders who have had there bikes ripped off. Did you recover them also what anti theft measures have you taken.
I just put a piece of thick walled tubing on each side of the bike into the floor of my shop and ran a 1" solid rod through the frame in front of the motor on my 520 through the other piece and put a
cut proof closed latch pad lock on it.
The other side of the rod has a 4" slug welded on it.
These pieces are concreted into the floor 3 feet down.
I also have a large log chain run through the frame and into another eye that is also concreted in.
The windows are boarded over and the doors are locked with
heavy duty locks. I have a motion alarm cable wraped through the frame also.
The front tire is off and in the house hid.
I had a bike stolen in 94 and ever since I am real jumpy at the slightest noise from outside. We live out in the country so you get a sensitive ear because it is usually so quiet.
At least twice a week though I find myself with cordless spotlight held high in my left hand and my 1911 colt 45 in the other.
Its a feeling of violation when you get your scoot ripped.
I was lucky and cought the thieves that stole my RM but it took allot of covert activity to get them to pay up once we found out who it was. Had to instill the fear into them if you know what I mean.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Don't think you have to worry about anyone stealing that bike! Sounds like they might as well hit up Fort Knox and just buy one. J/K. I feel the same way about my boat. Don't really get too jumpy about my bike b/c I only paid 2500 for it.

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
I don't think anyone will steal your bike either.:eek: I just park my bike in the shop and lock the shop up...so far its been good enough.:)

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Our bikes were stolen a year ago. They used a rebar cutter to cut eight chains and locks. Your 1 inch bar will not stop a rebar cutter. yuo need something one and a quarter inch thick so it won't fit in the rebar cutter jaws. If you bike has a battery, get a Lojack installed under the seat or try a motorcycle theft alarm.

None of the bikes stolen from us were recovered yet

Two bikes were stolen from a neighbor 2 blocks away a month later. I warned him 4 days before his were stolen. He did not listen. Saw his reward posters all over the neighborhood.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
We keep our bikes in a locked garage and have insurance.:silly:
When I was 16, I had a snowmobile stolen ( no ins) that I had paid for with paper route and grass cutting money.....that hurt

kooade

Jul 12, 2001
Last year I had a bike stolen from a storage unit. The guy used bolt cutters to cut the lock. I was lucky. We had the guys on camera. It turned out that the guy lived right next door to the storage unit. The owner spotted him two days later and called the cops. When the guys got caught they found sevral other bikes with mine in a different town where they stashed them. I really need to get my bikes Insured since their not payed for yet.

dezertrat

Jan 23, 2002
What do you guys think about those disc brake locks? are they worth anything? I think some of them will give you $1000 if you bike gets jacked.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Maybe I'm a little confused here, but won't your homeowner's insurance cover theft? I don't see what the big deal is. Yes, it would suck to have to deal with the claim and be out of a bike for a few weeks, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Do you guys know something that I don't? Heck, if it gets stolen that just means new bike time!

Disclaimer : I am not implying that anyone should commit insurance fraud! :)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by DAVE C
Maybe I'm a little confused here, but won't your homeowner's insurance cover theft? I don't see what the big deal is. Disclaimer : I am not implying that anyone should commit insurance fraud! :)

Mine will not cover the bikes. I have a seperate policy through my auto insurer.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Interesting. I guess I had better call my insurance broker and find out for sure. I know that it does cover other things that you would think wouldn't be covered. Is there a specific exclusion in your policy that states that motorcycles aren't covered? Maybe it is because they could be more easily left outside than say a stereo or television.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
most, if not all homeowners' policies WILL NOT cover your bike for theft. it's considered to be a vehicle & needs its own policy.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
OK, thanks for clearing that up. So, it is a vehicle when it is stolen but it is not a vehicle if you want to ride it on the road. I see how it works now. :p

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Here in Indiana if you own an off road bike such as an mx racer or even a quad the home owners will not cover it.
If it is used to maintain the property then there is a flimsy coverage that can be applied for.
AS far as theft Insurance, every company I contacted including progressive would only cover the bike if a full coverage policy was purchased such as thet for a street bike. (medical payments, property damage liability etc)
I was qouted a high price of close to $400.00 .
I even asked the rep whether I would be covered if myself and another mx bike had an accident with one another. He couldnt give me an answer and
was unsure. I tried to get them to run the vin number on my bike so they could just cover it with comp and theft and I was told that in Indiana
Progressive didnt provide a policy such as that.
I know several guys who bought full blown policies fro state farm and when there bikes were stolen the insurance company paid out a super low amount way below what those bikes were worth.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Geez!! We have our bran new car with a bran new sound system that i put in. my dirt bike, my Z50. My dads 2001 harley and a lot of other stuff. The dore is never locked the windows are blocked with shades and locked thoe. I tell my dad we should lock up our toys but he says that its all covered. :silly: I could care less if my dirt bike gets lifted. as im getting a new one next year any way;) . then ill make shur it's locked up tight. and theos bulet proof pad locks wont stop a guy. trust me, my gramas motor home was locked with one and the cut through the lock and got in.:o

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Insurance

Your home owners does not cover motor vehicle theft. You need motorcycle coverage, even for xr50 types. If it has wheels and a motor, homeowners insurance does not cover it. If it has a Title or registration, homeowners does not cover it. We learned the hard way.

I envy the people who live in areas where other people respect your stuff, but in the city there is more scum than you can believe. I almost caught two hispanic guys breaking in one of my trucks, Two other hispanic guys just stood there and watched them and watched me chase the scum to their getaway car. The two witnesses refused to help with the police report. They said "oh, thought they were your friends"

Get bike insurance, it's not expensive.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
rollingp

Progressive rates are really high. shop around.

We got two bike covered for under $300
We are covered if we crash into you. Just like full coverage auto insurance. Try an independent insurance broker through the yellow pages. They typically have 6 to 10 companies to pick from, so you do get a better rate. My wife tried four different agents, took her less than an hour to call them, saved us a bunch of $$$:)

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Disc locks

Yep, disk locks are a good idea. I didn't lock my street bike one night (in the locked garage) and came home to a burglary scene. Bike gone... found 3 blocks away, crashed. It had been pristine. I'm glad to see some others are paranoid too, because my friends laugh at me for locking my stuff up even when it's in the garage. I put a piece of caution tape on the lock so I don't forget to take it off. Which won't do any damage, except to your pride!!!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I just got insurance on mine. My KX cost $97/yr. For theft and 100/300/100 liability coverage. When I asked about my GasGas the said what is that. I said it is a race bike from Spain. They won't touch it. I had an estimate last year for it for $137.

If a theif wants it they'll get it no matter what.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by rollingp
Here in Indiana if you own an off road bike such as an mx racer or even a quad the home owners will not cover it.
AS far as theft Insurance, every company I contacted including progressive would only cover the bike if a full coverage policy was purchased such as thet for a street bike. (medical payments, property damage liability etc)
I was qouted a high price of close to $400.00.

First statement is true.
Second?? well......I live in Indiana also. My insurance company had NO problems adding my KX 500 to my auto policy with ONLY comprehensive to cover it if it's stolen. Cost me a grand total of $12.34/six months. Of course, this is only for blue book value and not replacement value.
BTW.....USAA is my insurance company.

Top Bottom