kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
ok, this morning i went out and dicided i needed to fix my front brakes(if i got on the brakes really slow, they wouldn't work at all or very little)if i got on them fast they would almost lock up.) so i drained the fluid and took the hose off, got bored and decided i'd do it later. put it back together and now it dosent work at all.

semptums:3 tiny pieses of rubber floating in fluid, when i tried bleeding it, there was a white tint to the small amout of fluid that came out, then no fluid would come out at all,

captblue1

Sep 8, 2004
i would keep running brake fluid through til it starts coming out clear then try again. a stupid question but did you bleed the brake lines after you filled it?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
kuchera89 said:
tiny pieses of rubber floating in fluid, when i tried bleeding it, there was a white tint to the small amout of fluid that came out, then no fluid would come out at all,

A few things to point out.

- if you have rubber floating in your line, your brake line is compromised and should be replaced.

- The reason you can not further bleed the brakes is because you have air trapped in the line. This could be caused from a bad brake line.

- The white fluid is fluid that has mixed with water. Old fluid can look white. If left for too long, it gets black..that's bad.

sx_dude

Nov 3, 2004
brakes

if there was rubber in ya brake fluid a seal has worn & started to crumble up check your dust seal and fluid seal on ya caliper were ya piston is or if thats ok your pipe line might be falling to bits in side

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
kuchera89 said:
with or without the cap on the mastercylinder?

Either, preferably cap off, with a clean rag laying over it

.....but either way, take the cap off in the morning and check the level.

Like has been said above, if you are seeing debris in your fluid something else is going on that you should prolly rectify.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If I had problems with my brakes like you are (have had before :bang: ) I'd start by pulling the brake line off at the master cylinder and see if fluid comes out there. I'd also take the master cylinder apart & check the piston / plunger, it has a rubber cup on it that may have deteriorated and could be where the debris is coming from. (I rebuilt mine for 30-40 bucks and it's a high-priced parts KTM) :yikes:

Next I'd check the line itself while off the bike. Make sure there's nothing in there blocking it. Also check it for bad spots like kinks, dents, pinches etc. Try blowing air though it with an air compressor.

Make sure the pins that hold the pads aren't grooved and preventing the pads & caliper from moving (I had this problem too).

Not sure about the caliper, never had the one on my motorcycle apart, but if you put it all back together and still no fluid comes out, I guess that'd be the only thing left that it could be.

ps, I also had the brake lever wear enough that I couldn't get enough "lever" on my brake. I kept making the problem more dificult than it was.

kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
i tried leaving it open and it didnt work but at least now when i open the bleed valve and pull the lever fluid comes out(no air).
it wont build up pressure. im going to replace the master cylinder cup and dust seal. do you think i should replace the piston caliper seal as well?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'd take it one step at a time to find out where the problem is.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom