Which car for a teenage girl (which one will she look hott in?)

• Black late-model Mustang Convertible

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • White Jeep Wrangler

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Something else...

Votes: 60 56.6%

• Total voters

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Alright I'll try that next time. Thanks for the advice. My moms big thing was she said she didnt want rearwheel drive, she didnt want it to be fast, and she didnt want it to be low to the ground. She says if it was low to the ground that I wouldnt be able to see around things and would just generally have bad visibility which i have learned is true. And her other thing was if i got hit by a truck or something that being so low the truck would just go over top of me and smash it or something. I dont think I would have had much of a problem with rearwheel drive and something fast. My dads boss bought his daughter a durango with rearwheel drive and the V8. She had her license a couple weeks before she totaled it. I think either someone pulled out in front of her or something and she hit the gas instead of the break and the road was wet. Some how she ended up down in the ditch with a totaled durango. But her dad went out and bought her another one just like it so he must not have learned anything from it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Chief
01'Honda and Gearloose,

You Guys Are Killin' Me. Are you buddies in real life too or just here at DRN?

The real irony is that ....

As a dad I would lean towards what GG said, but still remember the fact that the first thing a "girl" looked at was "the ride" when I was in high school. Why can't guys be that way? :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by G. Gearloose
Uhm, the guys are thinking about 'the ride', thats what worries me! :ugg:

Good point. My daughter is 29 and has a son so I don't have to worry (at least for a while anyway ;) )

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I never care what a girl drives. I always drive on dates anyways. Duh, that's the way it's supposed to be. Besides, odds are I won't be driving a girls car, wouldn't want to get in a wreck in somebody else's car. That would be a huge mess.

Oh and Jeff, now that I know how old your girlfriends daughter is.. tell her to call me in like 4 years ;).

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Eeds & Gearloose,

I feel your pain, and in a few years I'll get to be the 'Badguy' too. (I think it could be a lot of fun, for me that is) Goodluck to both of you.

With that said, I once dated a woman who drove a MonteCarlo SS. Not a bad machine for that year. I think we went out twice before she showed up with it. Her car didn't matter much to me. Mine did.

Wasn't that fast, but handled like a dream. ;)

Joe Chief

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
My wife has a mazda miata. I think teenage girls love that car. It drives great and for the money not much can touch it as far as handling. I had a mustang gt which was faster, but not near as much fun to drive. The miata can take the curves like mad. I like driving it, but when I do none of my friends will ride with me because two guys in it just doesn't look right. :0

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Trout I'm w/ya on that one. Back around 90 I bought an 87 Mitsubishi Cordia. Nothing fancy, just a 5sp 88 hp 2 door with no ac. Very sensitive precise steering. It was a small 4 seater. Not fast off the line, but you never had to slow down for turns. That car held some great G's!!!!! They also made that model with a turbo, still not fast off the line though.

My favorite part of owning it was being tailgated on curvy roads. I could just stay the speed limit on the turns while those high horsepower machines had to slow down, leaving them in the dust and frustrated :debil:

Chief

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
I get a kick out of someone trying to hang with it on the highway exit ramps. We have these 'round-a-bouts' in my neighborhood and the miata can take them without slowing a bit, you can take them around 40-45 withouth even trying, every now and then I will take them much faster with a little drifting. Its like driving a go-cart.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Miatas have always been quick track cars. I watched a stock Merlot '95 M Edition Miata roast a whole bunch of normally-aspirated Porsche 911s at a PCA driving event. The track was not that tight, either. I really enjoyed the looks on the Porsche driver's faces when lap times were posted.

I bought a loaded '94 a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot. I was pushing 235 lbs at that point, and I always felt conspicuous in that car. . .kinda like i was shoehorned into it.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
:)

It's a beautiful thing when you discover what's not obvious to most.

Also, a car that handles exceptionally can be safer if it's not pushed too far.

I remember doing one of those 90 degree exits sideways one day. Yea, it was dumb, But the car still held a line. I was thanking the higher ups after that. Especially since I just cancelled the full coverage.

One more note: That car cost me $3,500. It was 3 yrs old and mint w/ 50,000 miles. If it wasn't so small I would have kept it for more than 3 years. Also It couldn't make it downhill in the snow w the h-rated 60 series tires. I bought chains. Man the looks I got when everyone else was plowing out. I felt like a happy idiot. Silver/gray was a great color too since it never showed the dirt. All it needed was an occasional rainstorm :)

Joe Chief

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by MrMXer327
If she is set on a Sport Utility, Jeeps do not crash well... meaning the likely hood of injury is high. A 2002-03 Honda CR-V, a 2003 Volvo XC90, 2001-03 Acura MDX or a 2001-03 BMW X5 would be a better choice over the Jeep.

Your joking about buying those cars for a teen right? Im 16 years old and I have a 92 Acura Integra, beat to high hell, but it takes me places and It was cheap. I had to buy the car myself, just like all kids should. Those cars you mentioned cost upwards of $45,000. I don't think kids need to be driving cars worth more than $4000 until they get some experience driving. My parents have a 1996 Infiniti I30 and a Mercedes ML430, and I am not allowed to drive them, they are expensive cars and I am a new driver. Giving a teen an X5 or MDX is unbelieveable.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by MikeyG:
"I don't think kids need to be driving cars worth more than $4000 until they get some experience driving."

Geez , i been driving fer 25 years now , and MY car isnt worth $4,000!!
But then again i'm married ( :scream: :scream: ) so wifey get all the good stuff.............. :worship:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by OnAnySunday

Geez , i been driving fer 25 years now , and MY car isnt worth $4,000!!

4 GRAND, Heck I wish I could afford 4 thousand dollars, for a car?!!!

I was paid 50 bucks to take my car outta some old guys' yard. That's how I got it, I had to drag it home by hand 4 miles by myself with a broken arm and not only that, It has 3 wheels, not four. That's right, I had to sell the one wheel for food during the depression. But I still drive it and I LIKE IT !!!

I don't even use gas, I can't afford gas. Gas, What'dya nuts? What's gas?
I Use WATER an' I gotta steal it from a pond down da road. Late at night I filler up. It knocks a little but she runs jus the same. Whatdya' think I'm kiddin?

Man You Guys are just plain spoiled rotten. Back in MY DAY all us kids we had one picture of a car, that's it and we had to share it. ALL us guys, we'd fight with sticks and rocks to get that picture for friday night and we were happy to have THAT. And the car in the picture didn't even have an engine but it was still pretty darn good enough for us let me tell ya.

:|

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
:worship: Chief

You left out having to go to and from school barefooted in the snow, uphill both ways!!! :laugh:

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I drive a manual 97 Mustang GT. I just got my license a month ago, although I had my permit for a year before that and put plenty of miles on it. I really wouldn't recommend it to any beginner driver. You have to be extremely careful in choosing your actions while driving it. I say it can go on a person to person basis. If any of my friends moms asked me if they should get them one I would give them a big NO. Most of them have no regard for themselves or others and try to push the limits and screw around too much to have the responsibility of having a car like that.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I started with a POS '78 Mustang (the puny and awkward model run, not your father's Mustang). It was an anemic 4 banger, and I racked up enough speeding tickets with it to get my license suspended by age 19.

I can only imagine that I would have had it suspended much sooner if I would have started with a muscle car.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
My first car was the PERFECT teenage car. I hated it, therefore it can be counted as a success to my parents. It was a 1969 Mercedes diesel. It had a 4 speed, 8-track tape deck, topped out at 82 mph and took 15 minutes downhill to get there, got 30 miles to the gallon, and since they weigh about 5500 pounds there is no POSSIBLE way to die in one. Put snow tires on it and they will go through snow and ice better than any 4x4 OR front wheel drive car in the world. They smell funny and sound funny so you never want to take your friends anywhere.

However I did manage to find out that they rally pretty good . . .

I had a 1975 CJ 5 and I can’t say that a Jeep is a good kid car for reasons already mentioned. But they do look hot, I miss taking the top and doors off mine and cruising around. I had a 1969 Mustang that I bought and built myself and managed not to die in, amazingly enough, and so I can say that a Mustang probably isn’t a great idea either. Though a V6 or an older 4cylinder one isn’t so bad. But that depends on the kid—some of my fondest memories were of driving that Mustang and I’d hate for someone else to miss out on the thrill of driving a fast car. Teenagers have had hot rods for decades and many of them survived to adulthood. My mom’s first car was a 70 Torino GT with a 4-barrel Cleveland, and she STILL permitted me to buy that Mustang. Since I was the one who paid for it all myself, I think that is what kept me relatively sane.

Basically it boils down to proper driving instruction and trying to instill a good sense of responsibility into her thick teenage skull. Some kids have it, some don’t, and some learn it the hard way.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
im 17 and have a 95 ext cab s10, its a good teenage car but i doubt your daughter wants a truck (unless she rides)

i'd get her a civic, they hardly break, they're safe and their pretty cool.

Top Bottom