Comp Park - MX Des Nations - a bust?

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
So, after reading the update on the new Competition Park in Racer X this month, it had me wondering what the talkative group at Dirtrider.net thought about the whole thing.

What a surprise to find not a single topic on the subject!

So, the race is a month away, the track still looks like a riverbed with a few inexpert jumps carved - the concessions consist of a corrugated galvanized quonset hut and the bathrooms aren't finished yet.

Has anyone been out there yet to see what it's like now? Will it be ready in time? Will the US end up looking like idiots? Why didn't Dorna choose Southwick, Glen Helen, etc etc??

Whaddaya all think???

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Agreed! I mean really - this country has some of the greatest venues in the world, and they pick some river bottom on an indian reservation that's never seen a knobby before?

Last edited:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
I think it speaks volumes for the self interested, self gratifying Spanish, couldn't give a **** for the sport, Im only interested in who fills my back pocket, never been to MX before wankers & dead****s who make up and control DORNA. The best organisation money can buy!!!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Time out guys, this track is and will be one of the best in country, the track was designed and built per FIM, This track has a verity that a lot of tracks around the country have seem to have lost over the years.

As far as being on a Indian Reservations, it can’t be touch by Local, State or even the Feds, so it will be around for a long time, as will Amago.

As far as the venue, it’s located in a Valley with Lodging, Entertainment, and Restaurants all close by.

I have not seen nor have I read any wright up on the track and really don't need to, I have walked, Rode it and have watch it from day one

Oh, one more thing a lot can and has changed in the time it take a rag to go to press

Last edited:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by 2smoke
I think it speaks volumes for the self interested, self gratifying Spanish, couldn't give a **** for the sport, Im only interested in who fills my back pocket, never been to MX before wankers & dead****s who make up and control DORNA. The best organisation money can buy!!!

WTF are you talking about, Jim is a rider/racer and also owns Starwest which is another track that has farmed out alot of our current pro riders.

What speaks volumes here, is that too many people are clueless and quick to put the bag on ( Me included )

Last edited:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Ever since DORNA arrived on the scene I have witnessed very few goods things with the MXGP's. Falling crowds attendances..one moto etc. If your MXDN works out well bully for you!!! Thank the US promoter but I stand by my comments about that shifty bunch.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
2smoke, I apologize for going off like that, I read up to the ( "self interested, self gratifying Spanish, couldn't give a **** for the sport, I’m only interested in who fills my back pocket" ) and took it as a slap at Jim, There has been so many negative comments about the venue and the track itself, I get a little defensive.

As far as FIM/DORNA and what they have done to the GPs and the treatment of the riders, I'm the one that's clueless.

So with that said here's a little info on the track from those at ground zero, for those that are interested;

We have a 3 day event planned that is unlike any mx event anyone has been to...big name entertainment (every night)..FMX shows, phenomenal foods, All Access (they do SX) is doing all the track extras and stage design and building, we've laid over 7 miles of cable and water main, completely excavated a 75 acre raw piece of dirt to a 2% grade throughout, brought in 560-20 ton loads of pure clay/ dirt to build the facility, put up thousands of feet of chain link fencing, built 2-400,000 gallon water ponds lined with custom designed plastic liners, put up a 10,000 gallon water tank, drilled a 260 foot well into a freshwater aquifer, built 2 real permanent bathrooms with showers and put in our own septic systems, one at the front of the facility...one down by the tracks, we have 3 towers under construction to be done in 2 weeks, we built 6 various mx tracks, a Kart track that is the exact same design as the one in Vegas....and It doesn't have to be ripped up....it has a few more layers to be put up...that's all..........we've put up over 70 telephone poles that contain over 275 -1000 watt halogen lights, as the facility and all tracks are totally lit for night riding ( except for the Des Nations) (FIM wanted us to hold off till after the Des Nations....camera angles...you know). We built a food facility, complete with cooking capability, refrigeration, food storage (not your typical track shack)...etc, we surrounded the whole 75 acre facility with a 25-30 foot berm for privacy and sound attenuation and seating area for thousands of fans, we are bringing in over 12,000 seats of bleachers, building a special Cross Club for the Des Nations that will be a "hard" building...air conditioned and a first class place to sit at linen covered tables, sip wine, and pick from a gourmet buffet (not me...give me a rib, a beer, and a seat in the dirt), next step is all the planting...and painting and foo-foo stuff ( that's the last thing you do because you don't want that stuff in while you have a construction crew in, slam banging around)...that starts next week or so...final plans have been approved by me yesterday.......there is more, but this is getting way too long...........
The event will be jammed with stuff to watch, as well as the racing...and our theme is a tribute to 9/11 of last year.... we felt it appropriate to use this world wide vehicle as a MX venue to show the world that America is alive and well and that Motocross is part of the total mainstream of the American spirit...

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Thanks JPIVEY!

That sounds like an awesome venue. :thumb:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by DualSportr
and they pick some river bottom on an indian reservation that's never seen a knobby before?

DualSportr.

That river bottom has seem many knobbys over the years. The Soboba indians have sponsered the Soboba Grand Prix and the Soboba Invitational Trail Ride for many, many years. I have ridden it myself many times.

I personally think it's great that it will be held on an indian reservation. This way the inviro wacko's wont have a say in the matter. And, the developers wont be trying to buy the land out from under them for more homes. This is what is happening to the current venue.

Also, like JPIVEY said, the owner is quite experienced and responsible.

Jeeze, give the guy a break! :|

Ol'89r

Last edited:

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
A buddy and I are throwing our bikes in and taking off from KCMO to wtch the race and ride in Ca. Where do we get tickets and when should we arrive?

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
94ruck....you can go here for more info: Comp Park

For info on all the MX tracks in So Cal, checkout: Proride.com

Just my .02 on the MXDN......it is my understanding that the track has to put up $650,000.00 just to have the honor of having the race at your facility :worship:
No other facility was willing to put up that kinda cash. Also, the track is built in-accordance-with Dorna specifications. That means no doubles, and that the track has to meet many other requirements such as length and width etc, etc...
Everyone has their own idea what a MX track should look like, whether it's rough and hilly like Unadilla or Glen Helen, or more like a SX, like Troy. Regardless of what type of track everyone wants to see, Dorna has specified what they will approve, and this is exactly what they want. So before you jump on the "MXDN track sucks" bandwagon, remember two things: the track is not complete yet, and Dorna is controlling the layout. I've yet to go to the Comp. Park facility (I will in the near future), but I'm sure the track and the event itself will prove a lot of people wrong.

Go Team USA :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I rode th new comp on day one and have been back every other weekend since. It started out as a sand track which was fun and is now a really nice loam track which is fun! I agree that it looks a bit shabby in places but all that is required are those last finishing touches (i havent riden in 3 weeks so i expect it will be nearly sorted by now).

i cannot beleive that finally the US gets the MXDN and you guys want to kill it before it begins, what we have is history, a big event started on a blank piece of paper and all credit should be given to Malcom and Jim at the comp. They have developed every track with feedback from their punters.....how many other track owners do this?

I even mentioned to Jim that i hope they can use this a stepping stone to get a MXGP back in the US!

I hope Dobby and his team get us Brits up there on the podium!

see you at the comp in september, i will be the one with the unionjack shorts on shouting very loud!....if not i will see you before at the comp ripping up the MXDN track on my YZ!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Dually, the RacerX article clearly mentions that there were still two months to go when the story was written and pictures were taken. I actually thought it looked pretty good considering how little time they've really had.

From JPIVEY's post, I'm kind of a bit jealous. Sounds like when all is said and done, Comp Park will be one of the premier tracks in the country.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Bruce !!!!!!!! , Welcome back, Union Jack shorts ???? :) :cool: When can you go ride ?, We only get 3 more weeks before he closes it down till the race :aj:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Sorry timr, no def leppard T-shirt......although i am a northerner from the UK and come from just up the road from the "LEP", i cant stand some of the :uh: that they came out with!

Jim, at least someone missed me!

comp park rules, apart from heath, happiness and world peace the only things i wish for are a successful MXDN with paul cooper, james noble and james dobb on the podium. :flame: :yeehaw: :thumb:

Last edited:

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
<<i cannot beleive that finally the US gets the MXDN and you guys want to kill it before it begins>>

Not kill it - just really wanting the US and our track to show what we have and what we can provide.

I'm not just going by the Racer X article - there's many within the industry who are worried about the seeming lack of big name support. I've also spoken to a few guys who have ridden there, and like the track but said it was a bit disorganized. This was 2 & 1 week(s) ago.

I REALLY want this to come off without a hitch - I also know from years of wrangling state, fed etc. on OHV rights, this track on indian land is absolutely awesome. Mccassey really worked magic to get the venue moved to a place which will literally be bullet proof to the 'close it down' crowd.

I'm thrilled about the track opening - I guess I just wish we'd seen things accomplished a little faster, so it doesn't look so raw still with only a few weeks left till its big 'premier'.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
What they will provide is a Track built to their (FIM) spec, sounded by an atmosphere that will be second to none, These guys are going all out to make this an event that will talked about and just maybe set standard for future GPs.

As to big name supporters, there is rumor of Ford Motor Co. , Pepsi and even Baskin Robins

Dualsportr, Me being an optimist to a fault, I think they will make us shine

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dualsport, instead of listening to people why dont you get the real info yourself and come ride the track.......it seems you live a long way away, and are also a long way off with your second hand "track reports"

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Jpivey Sorry for being so defensive. But woth magnificent facilities like Bodds Creek wanting it I just thought it was typical; of DORNA to sign it to an unbiult track. Sorry if it seemed I was having a go at the promoter. Im the last person who wants to see this fail with the increase in interest in mX in the US these days this a golden opportunity. I hope the race goes off big and if this guy is as good as you say it should....Im looking forward to it!!!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Almost seemd like some are afraid some industry outsider's might be able to pull off a good event without all the usual suspects putting their stamp of approval on this track. My bet is it will work out without the "insiders" help. I like the idea of the Indian reservation as they play by their rules and not the enviro-idiots with control so much of the west coast. We all should be happy yet another world class facility is entering the community.

Last edited:

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Sorry, but when you look at some of the venues with some of the most awesome natural layouts where this race has been run in the past and then you look at a big flat piece of land it's hard to get enthused. As far as all the other entertainment goes, who cares? Is this event about the best Motocross racers in the world facing off in a worthy arena or is it about profits? Instead of this one short moto circus side show we need a real motocross race at a real motocross track. Or even better yet we need to bring back the Trans-AMA series and let these guys duke it out properly.

Top Bottom