Comp Park - MX Des Nations - a bust?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
motomike137 said:
bring back the Trans-AMA series and let these guys duke it out properly.
Unfortunately that'll never happen because they're all about the Benjamins now and not competition. :|

Last edited:

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
trans-AMA, someone explain please.... The MXDN will hopefully be good, havent seen anything of the track or layouts, just heard good things about how it is going along, and people need to watch out for the KIWI's, Townley was riding a 520sx last weekend at an international meet in europe, and finished with a couple of top 3's, What will the track be like in the wet?? Also Smets has said that he will not race if it is like a supercross track.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by kiwi_925
What will the track be like in the wet?? Also Smets has said that he will not race if it is like a supercross track.

it will not be wet!

its definately not an SX type track. ive riden it loads and its the most fun track i have ever riden, wide fast and open with no doubles or strange combos etc. its as close to a euro style track it could be but without the natural terrain if you know what i mean.

apparently, part of the pull with the FIM was that since it was on a flat, barren area, then this would give great spectator and TV coverage.....no dissapearing into the woods etc. hopefully they will not mess up the TV coverage!

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Hey Kiwi925, tell you boys to bring their desert set ups. The Trans-AMA series was held in here in the U.S. back in the seventies in the fall after the GP's and Nationals ended. All the best GP riders would travel over and compete in September and October against are National riders. The series went to the cream of the crop of the National tracks and for a few years (late seventies) was just incredible. Imagine seeing DeCoster.Wolsink, Noyce, Malherbe, Everts, Mikkola, Distefano, Hannah, Howerton, Lackey, Pomeroy, and many more all duking it out at Unadilla, Red Bud and so on in the fall when the tracks and riding conditions were awesome! I hope that paints a little picture of what it was like. It all started to come undone when the GP guys couldn't come over and wax us any more (78,79 or so). The series ran for 4 or 5 years before an American won it (Bob in 78 I believe) and even that year DeCoster still won at Unadilla after scuffling with Hannah. The whole point her is that the character of the tracks play an integral part in the history and the aura surrounding the sport. We already have Supercross when it comes to creating tracks on flatland. True outdoor tracks (especially Euro style ones) need terrain character. And as far as spectating or TV goes, I'm not going because of the layout ( not to mention the format). I went to Unadilla in 87 and saw an epic performance at an incredible track on a very difficult day. After seeing that, going out and and sitting in the desert to watch RC spank the crap out of everybody in some sand wash doesn't hold much appeal no matter how many clowns crawl out of the car during intermission!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Desert setup, sandwash, clowns, I don't understand this negative BS, someone explain to me where you get these preconceived vision you all have, because they are way the hell out there.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001

Attachments

• layout.gif
    layout.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
<<when you look at some of the venues with some of the most awesome natural layouts where this race has been run in the past and then you look at a big flat piece of land it's hard to get enthused>>

Amen! That's my point. From a spectators standpoint - which is the only way I can look at it, since I'm definitely NOT on the track duking it out with RC, I can't imagine it being much fun.

I've been to the area - seen the track location prior to the sale (family friends live there) - spoken to some of our pro racers who have raced the track - seen photos from last week.

Yes, it is a thousand percent better than it was 2 months ago. Is it a beautiful representation of an outdoor US track? Heck no!!!!

bclapham, I may be from Oregon - but it's only next door. Contrary to brit belief, a 1,000 mile road trip is nothing to us westerners. We did it for the first Anaheim SX, two runs down to Glen Helen, we're heading down to Thousand Oaks next month for Langtown. Yes, I'm not next door, but I'm also not completely out of the loop. Please don't deride my observations simply because I'm not a California rider.

I'm happy this is a track you like. I know there are others out there who like it too - thing is, will the pro's think it's challenging enough?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am not trying to deride any observations, its a moot point since the track layout is the responsibility of FIM and not the promoters, a level playing field for all so there can be no excuses of "local knowledge"

as for comments about brit belief, your way off the mark, i am 6000 miles from home and its no big deal, ive even done a 1800 mile road trip in less than 4 days around CA taking in most of the sights on route. no sweat, we do have cars in europe you know!

if you want to experience the track, you are welcome to my hospitality and come ride it and i probably speak for the rest of us so cal DRNers.

Last time i looked USA is a free country, so if Glen Helen or Unadilla or any of the other tracks here want to put up and shut up and host the event, then why dont they quit whinning and put in a bid!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
1.USA
2 = Kiwi's - only if Shanye King had a couple of days like he did at Rnd 3 of the nz nats. :aj:
2 = Belguim
4. France
5. Great Britain

S.A. might be a surprise with Albee coming back, they are my dark horse for the event.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Hey look, I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I'm just voicing my opinion/feelings about this topic. Yup the USA is a free country and I'm sure that a everyone will use their own free will in deciding whether or not to attend this event. I don't think that any of the other tracks/promoters are whining about this. I just feel like this event has now come to be more on the importance/attractiveness scale something along the lines of the U.S. Open. If we are not careful the rich heritage of our sport will we dilluted down to the point of nonexistance by the folks who see this mainly as an oppurtunity to line their pockets with$$$$. If you have ever ridden and or spectated at some of the traditional venues and watched the sport as long as I have you can't help but get a little defensive.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Mike, when you say " line their Pockets" to whom are you referring too, if you are referring to FIM/Dorna, that is going to happen no matter where the race is held, if you are referring to Jim and Malcom, these guys have spent a 3/4s of a milloin dollars putting this together, they will not get rich off this event, but will end up with a track that is worthy of a national event and who knows maybe host this event again.

As far as clowns jumping, the only jumping clowns will be the FMX guys, which will give you time to hit the restrooms and food stands,so see they thought of everything ;)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Anyone got a link to some pics? Picture is worth a thousand words.

Either way I'll watch, the world's best riders could duke it out in a gravel parking lot and I could be entertained.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
If this track had been given a national event this year would people be still going on about weither it was good enough to have the des nations?? personally because it hasnt held an important event - that i know of eg national or otherwise- people will question it. As for someone saying you'll be able to see the whole track, who cares, id much rather get off my a$$ and walk around the track watching different parts of it.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I'd rather see a MXDN on an indoor go-cart track in the states than not see one at all. :silly:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Kiwi,

If it had been given a national, then it would've existed. That's why people are worried. Four months ago, there wasn't anything there, nada, no track, no buildings, nothing. This place has literally risen from the desert in the last few months.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
JPIVEY, no I do not mean Jim and Malcolm. And to tell you the truth the thing that upsets me the most is the format for the race and all the talk about doing this and that "for TV". Thats all a bunch of BS. I'm just a an old romanticist when it comes to MX. I've grown up participating and watching the sport since the mid seventies. Heck I'm even somewhat irritated by the large crowds at the Nationals. I used to feel like I had the run of the place in the "good old days". The growth of our sport and the potential change in venue types to handle the crowds are probably unavoidable. When it's all said and done I am glad that we finally got the race here again. It's kinda like the situation with what is now called MOTOGP. The top guy has been an American for most of the last two decades and we only had a race here twice (Laguna, right?). So hopefully the whole world will get to see just how stinking fast RC is. I hope that Pichon is prepared for an awakening. I know he has mentioned that he thinks he has what it takes to race with Ricky, we'll see!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY

As far as clowns jumping, the only jumping clowns will be the FMX guys, which will give you time to hit the restrooms and food stands,so see they thought of everything ;)

:) :) Good one JP! :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by motomike137
It's kinda like the situation with what is now called MOTOGP. The top guy has been an American for most of the last two decades and we only had a race here twice (Laguna, right?).

can you explain? when you say MOTOGP i assume you mean the world 500cc motorcycle GP road race. so who was the "american top guy over the last two decades"?

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by motomike137
JPIVEY,
I'm just a an old romanticist when it comes to MX. I've grown up participating and watching the sport since the mid seventies. Heck I'm even somewhat irritated by the large crowds at the Nationals.

I hear ya, Heck I first thought of SX as a gross prostitution of Motocross, sorta the way I feel about FMX but, I got use to it,however I still prefer Outdoor and GPs.

I even remember top riders get around 7,000 dollars a year and that was major money.

Those days are gone but not forgotten ( just a little cloudy ) The era of big bucks, TV and side show are here to stay, Lets just hope they don't come up with a riders union so we have to deal with walkouts

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
bclapham, let's see here, I think there was Kenny senior, Eddy Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, Kenny junior and oh yeah some guy named Spencer. I think these guys won a few races and titles.

Top Bottom