Comp Park - MX Des Nations - a bust?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
Bruce, you seem to have a handle on this -

Sorry Kiwi, but that handle fell off a long time ago and the contents of the frying pan that it was attached to have well and truly dropped to the floor! :uh:

But, hopefully we can meet for an amber nectar in about 8-9 days, i will PM my cell number. Dont worry, if you get stuck i will get you home or you can stop over with us...its a little drive but not as much as santa clarita? Heck, Julia is coming also and she is much more pleasant to look at and talk to than me! :thumb:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
from racer-x 9-19

September 19, 2002

Motocross Des Nations Full Steam Ahead!

Here's a press release from the folks at Competition Park:

"We are aware of the negative press and circumstances surrounding the MX Des Nations and most recently the letters which appeared on an industry website today. These letters have no legal basis and we seriously question the motive of publishing these letters. We are doing everything legally within our power to assure that the event takes place as scheduled. While there are issues regarding the long term operation of Competition Park these issues should not affect the running of the MX Des Nations. Thank you," Malcolm McCassy, president Competition Park

Consumer Contact: www.competitionpark.com
Tel 909-654-2126

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Just saw that.....

September 20, 2002

Federal Land Closure at MXDN Track

We hate to be the ones to tell you this.... Federal Land Closure signs now mark the padlocked entrance to Competition Park in San Jacinto, California. Track workers preparing for the 2002 Motocross des Nations, which is supposed to take place there in nine days, are apparently being told to leave the premises immediately. The track is now shut down. We are trying to contact all of the parties for more news on this breaking story.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What a fiasco. Unreal.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i dont want to upset and of the real natives, but it seems to me like the indians have cut off their noses to spite thair faces!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
do any of you all think there is time to swing it to Budds Creek? I know Mr. Beasly said he was contacted about the possible idea since it is a pretty good all around course...
That would be pretty cool if they can do that, since USA wasnt in it last year......

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Here's the latest from RacerXill.com...

September 20, 2002

Crucial Meeting at 4:00 p.m. today on MXDN fate

Racer X has learned that a crucial meeting will take place at 4:00 p.m. today between the Sobaba Band Tribal Leaders, the Motocross des Nations promoters, and other interested parties. At that point, if the Indians do not sign off on the race and write a letter to Dorna saying it's a go before 6:00 p.m., the race will be postponed for one month and take place on October 27 in Bellpuig, Spain. Stay tuned for more details as they develop.

According to Mickey (who lives on my wrist) that is in about 15 minutes...

(I Posted this reply to the thread at 5:48 PM CST on 09/20/2002)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The latest from RacerX - 11:20 CST

As the MXdN turns....

It appears that the meeting between the MXdN promoters and the Indian tribal leaders did not go well late Friday afternoon. But according to people close to the whole situation out in California, nearby Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California, is being offered up to Dorna and the people in Europe as an alternative site to host the race next weekend, which would allow American motocross fans and all of the riders and teams already here to still have the race. However, it is not known if Dorna will accept this proposal, which was apparently put together between Marty Moates, Vintage Iron's Rick Doughty and Glen Helen's Bud Feldkamp while race promoters Malcolm McCassey and Jim Fasciutto were still arguing their case with the Sobaba Indians. Stay tuned to Racerxill.com for any more news or a Dorna reaction to this latest development.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i cant see it going ahead at the comp now, but there is always hope.

MXA did have some nice arial photos of the track though.

I wonder how many riders and bikes are sat on boats or planes right now wondering WTF is going on?

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
show is cancelled in the US and moved to Spain Oct 19-20...

see new thread

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I've been biting my to lip on this mess because I wanted to see the race happen and I felt bad for the people who put their butts on the line. But now thats it over and the race is in Spain on Oct 19-20 I can say that this was the biggest joke I have seen in a long time. DORNA is a JOKE. They have, in the span of a few short years ruined the GP's and MXdN's. How is it that the people who put on the "World Championships of Motocross" can't pull off one frigen moto? They give the race to a track that is not there on land that they don't own. I just gotta laugh at their incompetence. So now they will have the race in Spain with out Pichon or team USA. DIE DORNA

DCWarren

Sep 2, 2002
WOW! I just got the news today from a friend and can't believe it. I and my boys have been looking forward to this for months and now, after having gone out and spent $$ for supplies, it's history. I guess more than just being disappointed, I'm embarassed. How is it that the comp park guys could mess this up so pitifully in front of the whole world. I hope all of the folks who have plane tickets can recover the money.

B.T.W. What exactly is the DORNA organization and what is their role in this whole thing?

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
May as well can the event in Spain as well - most of the top riders are showing up anyway

From http://www.motocrossgrandprix.com/summary/Summary.htm
"The latest word from the Motocross of Nations is that Stefan Everts, Ricky Carmichael and Mickael Pichon the three star attractions of the event will not compete in the race on October 20 in Bellpuig, Spain. Carmichael will be on his honeymoon; Pichon and Everts feel the event is no longer an interesting proposition.

“Nobody can make me go to the Nations,” Everts said. “It just does not interest me anymore, I would have gone to America, although now I will not, and racing in Spain in October is also not interesting.”

New Zealand will not compete, and it is also understood that several other teams will officially pull out this week. Josh Coppins who would have been the lead rider in the New Zealand team had mentioned earlier that he was not sure about his position.

“I know the New Zealand federation don’t have a budget now after the problems with Competition Park. I had planned to fly back to New Zealand on October 14.”

England's James Dobb who traveled to America a few days ago will head to the West Indian Islands in a week and will not return to Europe until the end of October.

Australian riders Chad Reed and Craig Anderson will be racing a Supercross in Sydney, Australia on the weekend of the 20th.

The International event which will be run at Glen Helen as a replacement race (in support of the spectator’s, riders and journalist) has some interest from Europe with the CAS Honda Japanese rider Yoshi Atsuta willing to compete, and England's James Noble also possibly riding. As for the other top European based riders, Pichon, Everts, Josh Coppins, Ben Townley and several others will not be heading to USA this week, Joel Smets is also unlikely to be going. Had the Glen Helen race been given the Motocross of Nations all the riders would have competed."

It should be rescheduled to a time and place that everyone can make.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
We were at Langtown when we heard the news. Many businesses represented at Langtown were seriously upset by the news, since they had already rented space at the track, and had their displays ready and employees paid to attend.

Imagine how much money was wasted on this fiasco? The amount McCassey spent was tiny compared to the teams, the riders, the spectators (some with unrefundable package tickets), and the companies who paid for booth space.

Even if tickets are refunded, it was such an incredible waste of cash and resources, exactly how many people are going to try and make the re-scheduled event?

What a fiasco.

The only possible good that could come out if this? If the international MX community rebels against Dorna and kicks them out of the business!

Top Bottom