wavemaster

Apr 23, 2007
so took my bike out warmed it up for a few minutes rode around was running great then. slowed down on a small trail and when i went to accelerate i had nothing. bike just boggs out. starts evertime an idles great. cleaned the carb and got new air filter. what should i do now?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
When you say you cleaned the carburetor, how did you do it?

Many people have the mistaken belief that spraying a little "carb cleaner" down the throat will magically do something. It doesn't.

To get the carburetor clean you need to take it completely apart, including removing all the jets and the float valve. Next you have to soak it in a really nasty solution that you really don't want to spill. This stuff usually comes in a one gallon can, similar to a paint can. Buy the one with the dip basket.

After it has soaked over night you need to rinse it off with water and then use compressed air to blow out all the passages.

I am guessing that something clogged the main jet but left the idle circuit okay.

Rod

wavemaster

Apr 23, 2007
well i took it all apart and cleaned it in varsol. used the clymer manual for instructions.(the second time). the first time i missed some parts.its all back together now and working good the jets had dirt in them.

wavemaster

Apr 23, 2007
on the side of the carb there is the idle adjust screw and also an air adjust screw. the air adjust screw supossed to be 1.5 turns out and its all the way in and has no spring on it. never had a spring since i owned it but does it really matter or sould i not worry about it? i cannot turn the screw out because it has no pressure on it and it will just rattle loose.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
What does the sparkplug say?

if its a light tan and it could have grey spots, the bike is running good. oily or carbon isnt good. you can tell alot about how the engine is running just from looking at the plug.

a carboned up plug can be from,
fuel mixture is to rich
spark plug range to cold
faulty ignition component
clogged air filter
poor compression

an oily plug can be from,
incorrect fuel/air mixture
incorrect jetting
prolonged ideling or a low idle speed
spark plug range is to cold
ignition conponent failure
worn piston rings

EDIT: read that your got it fixed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom