bikertim1966

Nov 15, 2007
All right, I have narrowed my choices of bike down between these 2 machines -- feel the CRF450 is too much bike for me.

Really leaning towards the CRF250X, but not quite sure. Have an opportunity to buy an 05 CRF250X with lots of nice mods, rebuilt motor, (is on ebay in phoenix az) but can purchase a brand new 06 for about $1500 more. The used bike has seen some offroad racing, but appears to be well maintained. Are there really big issues to worry about purchasing a bike such as this? Have heard "there is no such thing as a good deal on a used 4 stroke" makes me kind of curious. Even though the top and bottom end has been rebuilt, are there issues with cases and the like? Would this bike be ok for playing on MX tracks as well? In time will I want more power? Do I need any special tools to work on?

On the other hand, I know 250 honda 2 strokes last forever if you take care of them, and I know they are a blast to ride. Was very happy with the Honda 2 strokes I have had in the past. But I like the idea of not mixing gas and the better fuel economy of a 4 stroke.

I tend to keep my toys for quite some time, and with the way the market is now I really want to make sure I ge the right bike the first time, as selling a bike seems to becoming more difficult.

Oh yeah -- I am 200 lbs, 5'8", a little aggressive at times, all dealers nearby, plan on trail riding and moto track playing, no racing, and like Hondas. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Tim

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
I would go with the newer one. the 04/05 crf250's had valve issues. Always go for the newest bike you can afford.

Last edited:

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
as flyinbrian said, go for the new one! I bought new to be sure I wasn't inheriting someone elses problems. Ill be taking mine out this weekend tim, but il be taking it easy just to break it in. Ill let you know how it goes!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wow, for once I think everyone agrees on something! For 1500 more dollars you get a whole lot more peace of mind. There's some shoddy work goin on out there, unless I know exactly who did the work I am always skeptical. Something as small as an improperly seated wristpin clip can end up costing a ton in a modern 4t. I say go with new.

P0PWAR

Oct 13, 2007
It seems like a cr250x would fit your needs a little better than a 2stroke. They're not for everyone. It will be a bit more reliable and easier to ride. And yeah go for a newer one 04 or newer.

bikertim1966

Nov 15, 2007
Dang -- what do you know -- found a smokin deal on an 06 CRF450X --low hours -- individual bought May 2007 new-- all stock -- new tires hardly any scratches or wear on anything. Did a quick ride today - it is FAST but very controllable. So much for the 250! Tim

Top Bottom