fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Hi All,My first post..I just purchased a 97 CR500 Honda today and it runs like a raped ape but it don't want to idle very good..It will idle but just not for very long and it dies..It starts rite back up without much trouble..I don't know the first thing about a 2 stroke bike other than it is a dangerous machine in every gear..It was cold today 55 - 60deg and I did try the air screw a little but it didn't seem to help..Any thoughts on how to get it to idle?? It has the stock pipe on it but it is kinda loose..It has been rebuilt about 3 tanks of gas ago and I don't know much more than that about it..I have yet to give it more than 1/4 throttle since I can't seem to keep the front wheel on the ground in the first 4 gears :yikes: LOL...Thanks,Fred

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
it might be getting too much gas constantly like flooding but not to the point where it will die while running if you keep throttle on. Check jetting or have a mechanic do it. If its flooding it will foul plugs some what fast also. CR500s are fun bikes, if honda only would have put a power valve on them so they run like a real two stroke.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
From what I understand, and it's limited, a 2 stroke shouldn't idle constantly. Best plan is leave it like it is, and twist the sh!t out of it.

What do you need to idle for anyhow? Get on and ride that beast!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I never had a problem with my cr500 idling. Give the choke knob a twist or two to bump up the idle speed.

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Papakeith said:
I never had a problem with my cr500 idling. Give the choke knob a twist or two to bump up the idle speed.
Thanks Guy's,I noticed that when I choke it it idles fine but I don't let it idle long with the choke on since I don't want to foul a plug..It ran great today (VERY STRONG) but I am just tired of having to keep it running by cranking on the throttle all the time..I will try and idle it up a little and see what happens..Thanks again.Fred

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
If it won't idle with the idle screw, and will idle with the choke on you might be a little lean on the pilot circuit. I prefer mine to idle because starting a bike that big repeatedly makes me tired.

Really I,m just plain lazy
Dale

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
dales298 said:
If it won't idle with the idle screw, and will idle with the choke on you might be a little lean on the pilot circuit. I prefer mine to idle because starting a bike that big repeatedly makes me tired.

Really I,m just plain lazy
Dale

It gets old pretty quick having to kick it so often..I'm lazy too

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I took it down to the experts at my local honda shop so I should be getting it back soon..I Hope..

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Well I got it back from the shop today,He went thru the carb and said a jet was plugged..He cleaned the carb changed the tranny oil installed a new clutch cable put in a new UNI air filter and put a new kill switch on it..$141 I thought that was cheap..I gave the guy that worked on it $20 and we were both happy..It was like 40deg today and it idled a lot better..I rode it around the yard and up the road and back and the throttle responce is more consistant and smoother than it was before with the carb plugged up..It still lifts the front tire in the first 4 gears without much throttle but it wasn't coming on all at once like it was..I think I will be happy with it now :cool:

Last edited:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
That is a sweet bike. I have a couple pictures of them...I would pay big for a 1998-99 CR250. Those were probably the nicest model bikes, except for the seat cover.

Last edited:

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
well if its like my 93 and i think it is the choke is the idle screw turn it counter clockways to richen it mine idles fine just needs to warm up a little -like all bikes
my book says 6 turns out from fully closed-or 36 clicks :cool:

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
lxlzerolxl said:
try cleaning air filter?

My air filter on my CR500 was torn and very dirty so he replaced it..
I cleaned and oiled the air filters on my PW50 (4yr old Granddaughters) and my TTR90 (8yr old Grandson's) and my TT350 (Mine) a couple days ago.The TTR125L is new and only has a couple rides on it so I didn't bother with it .They were filthy too..I ordered new UNI air filters for all 5 of them so I can just replace them when they get dirty next time and just throw all the dirty filters in a bucket of soap and water to soak a while..Cleaning them isn't so bad but waiting for them to dry sucks..The mechanic at the dealership told me to just oil the outside of the filter with the spray oil I bought but I had already oiled both the inside and outside of the 3 I did..Oh well guess I will just do the outside next time.This is all a learning experience for me since these are the first dirt bikes I have owned..

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
CR500 Tips:

A Steahley (sp?) flywheel weight makes the bike much more trail friendly.

If the bike has aluminum clutch plates (I know my 01 250 did but I can't remember on the 500), replace them with steel ones and the oil will stay cleaner MUCH longer.

If you short shift and ride low in the powerband the bike will be much less tiring.

Loctite everything with removable (242) Loctite.

500s... if there is noise coming out of the pipe it is in the powerband!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
suggestion-- get some rubber gloves and wring the water out-
also soak the filter and wring out the excess oil-
or use the spray -you still need to wring /squeeze out the excess oil!!

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I guess I didn't apply too much oil to the 3 I did because I did squeese them and no oil ran out to speek of..I did have plenty of oil on my hands though..Thanks,I need all the adult supervision I can get.. :cool:

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
You got a great deal at the dealer for $141!
A good thorough carb cleaning can do wonders. Let us know if the idling problem returns over the next little while. I have been chasing an idling problem on my 93 CR250 for a long time. Jetting feels spot on and plug is a nice color. Tried many things including new crank seals, reeds & gaskets. Right now I am in the middle of a complete top and bottom end rebuild. Once it's all back together I hope the idle problem is fixed. Will see.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Yea, I have tried a richer pilot jet. Here's a run down on what I have done and found:

Started with various sizes of pilot jets. Float height is correct, needle and set are in good shape. I always run a clean air filter.
I checked all the connections, and clamps. No air leaks. Removed and cleaned both the carb and the reed cage. Replaced reeds with a new boysen set. All new reed cage and intake manifold gaskets.
Performed a complete top end overhaul with new gaskets. Compression was about 190. Decided to check out bottom end for air leaks. Replaced both the left and right side crank seals. Found the right side crank spacer to have a very deep groove cut in it from the crank seal. Replaced the spacer along with the seal.

Still no luck, last ride out after the bike warms up it still does not want to idle. When cold, the choke keeps it running fine. After warm up, and I ride for a while then the ilde problem shows up like always.

It's not a big deal, I don't leave the bike idling very long. Cranking up the idle is not the answer. Out on the trail too high idle is not something I prefer. It's more of just the principle. The darn thing should idle. It's stubborn and no matter what I try I still can't seem to find the problem.

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Mine still don't idle for long but I havent road it but just around the field at the house..Seems like one time I stop it will idle fine and the next time I stop it falls off and tries to quit.I isn't consistant.It is still 200% better than it was when I got it..It has been very cold since I got it back from the shop though and I really havent had a chance to mess with it..

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
2 strokes...It's the nature of the beast. The cylinder has a tendancy to load up with both excess unburnt fuel and spent exhaust gases. The engines are not real efficient with complete burning and extraction of spent gases, especially at idle. Under a load while riding, everything hits the sweet spot. The reeds, carb, compression, spark, expansion chamber all work together perfect. (we all know it as the power band). So to me, I can live with it not idling if everything else is running fine.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
keithb7 said:
2 strokes...It's the nature of the beast. The cylinder has a tendancy to load up with both excess unburnt fuel and spent exhaust gases. The engines are not real efficient with complete burning and extraction of spent gases, especially at idle. Under a load while riding, everything hits the sweet spot. The reeds, carb, compression, spark, expansion chamber all work together perfect. (we all know it as the power band). So to me, I can live with it not idling if everything else is running fine.

mine idles like a car you can let it sit idling as long as you want.....not that i do, but it will

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Mine idles well also. If there are no mechanical problems, it's jetting. Plain and simple. Every 2 stroke I have ever had, (and that's 10+), have all idled fine.

Top Bottom