kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
hey guys, one subject that hasnt been looked over much here at DRN is how much maintenance the CRF150R will be. smaller engines= more maintenance. i.e. the 450 has less maintenance than a 250F. will it be the same with the 150R? will it be more or less maintenance than a 250F or 450? i think this topic should be looked over. thanx

mx_racer32

Apr 7, 2005
its not that one has less maint. then another, its the type of riding, and the way its taken care of. if you have a young kid that is putting around the yard or in the trails, and his dad is anal about everything being to spec, it should be problem free for a while. on the other hand, if you have a supermini rider, that is going to be on the rev limiter 24/7, and never changes the oil, rarely changes the air filter, yea, its going to have a ton of problems and be a headache. its a 2 part relationship (type of rider, type of maint) BUT, in theory, the little motor is smaller and makes good power overall, one would think that with proper maintenance it shouldnt be any more work then a 250f. i think there are just too many variables to set in stone "YES" or "NO'.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I agree its going to depend upon how hard its ridden and how well its maintained. If you change the oil regularly, keep the air filter clean and arent on the rev limiter all the time it should last a while.
Its kind of a toss up. Do you buy an 85 that is cheaper to rebuild but requires rebuilds a lot more often or do you go with a 150F that is more expensive to rebuild but is probably going to last a lot longer. In the end, it all kind of evens itself out.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
mattd69 said:
there is almost no maintenance on a fourstroke just change the oil and you are fine and a small bike like this you cant hurt nothing in them they are tough

yes, this is absolutely true for a trail bike, like the KLX125L you have. a CRF150R has been fine-tuned to be a high performance race bike, completely opposite of the CRF150F. on a 4T MX bike, like a 250F or 450, the maintenance is much worse than that of a trail bike or a two stroke, but it also depends on how you ride/maintain the bike. this is why i made this thread, to try and find out if the CRF150R will mimick the 4T trail bikes or the 4T MX bikes. :think: :uh: :whoa:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
check out the dyno charts folks, this is not a trail bike engine. A reasonable guess would be that it would require similar maintenance as a 250F. Many variables here, piston speed and acceleration, cam profile, valve and seat material, valve spring pressure, and many more.

Note: see other thread where Rich is posting in detail about this!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
motometal said:
check out the dyno charts folks, this is not a trail bike engine. A reasonable guess would be that it would require similar maintenance as a 250F. Many variables here, piston speed and acceleration, cam profile, valve and seat material, valve spring pressure, and many more.

Note: see other thread where Rich is posting in detail about this!

that is what i have been saying. i was just wanting to find out if it will be easier or harder than a 250F to maintain. what forum is Rich's thread in?

john3_16

May 17, 2004
The wear rate increases with rpm...I would imagine that this bike with a decent rider aboard will spend alot of time above 9000 rpm as the bike revs past 14,000 rpm...

I wouldn't want to work on the bike that's for sure..

Top Bottom