geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Anybody care to venture there opinions on what high tech, modern 4 stroke thumper will probably have the least or easiest maintenance routine, or straight forward maintenance routine, that will reward an owner with a lot less downtime and hopefully more durability and riding time?

I've been looking into the KTM RFS's, and when I hear that the radiator should be drained and removed for adjusting valves (and valves need to be adjusted frequently) I wonder if another modern 4 stroke bike has a better way. Do any of them have any simple maintenance routines that outranks the others?

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Well, let me put it this way: Does Yamaha's WR250F and WR426F have simpler maintence plans than KTM's racing four strokes? Or does Honda's CRF 450 beat them all with simple maintenance?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Yamahas and Hondas are easier to work on than the KTMs, but they all have race bike maintenance schedules similar to two-strokes.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
If you ride a lot your gonna end up wrenching alot! I'd rather ride than wrench. However i find that i have a lot more enjoyable time if i take care of the bike. You develop a feel for the bike and what it's doing and you will notice things when your riding. A lot less will happen out in the woods and if it does it won't be such a big deal. When i first got my bike if i got a flat i would've been screwed. After having changed tubes and tires on the garage floor it wouldn't much more than a pain in the ass. As far as least maintenance goes you won't beat an xr 400., but most guys think it's too old "tech" My drz hasn't required much other than the usual lube oil and filter routine. Dirt bikes are pretty simple to take care of. It'll get a little more complicated if you open up the motor. The xr 4 and drz are trail bikes, if your looking for an mx bike, all high performance machines require proper care and feeding. Wrenching is like flossing, it aint so bad once you get in the habit, and it pays big dividends.

A short straight answer would be the drz because it's not as high strung as the others.

Last edited:

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
The YZ426F has been pretty reliable for me. when i first got the bike I disassembled all the frame and linkage bearings and greased them all with a quality grease and buttoned everything back up. I wash the bike after every ride and WD40 the hell out of all the kinkage points and the chain immediately after washing and then starting the bike and riding it for 2 or 3 minutes to dry out the brakes and fling the water off the chain. I clean the air filter and change the oil after every ride and the filter every 3 rides. After you get in a routine it doesn't take that much time and going over the bike at night during the week helps me reduce stress and also gives you a chance to look the bike over and spot any problems. I have checked the valves 4 times since i have gotten the 01 and they are still in spec. Keep the oil changed and the filters cleaned and the bike will last you a long time

Last edited:

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by penguin
The YZ426F has been pretty reliable for me. when i first got the bike I disassembled all the frame and linkage bearings and greased them all with a quality grease and buttoned everything back up. I wash the bike after every ride and WD40 the hell out of all the kinkage points and the chain immediately after washing and then starting the bike and riding it for 2 or 3 minutes to dry out the brakes and fling the water off the chain. I clean the air filter and change the oil after every ride and the filter every 3 rides. After you get in a routine it doesn't take that much time and going over the bike at night during the week helps me reduce stress and also gives you a chance to look the bike over and spot any problems. I have checked the valves 4 times since i have gotten the 01 and they are still in spec. Keep the oil changed and the filters cleaned and the bike will last you a long time

I have a year's worth of riding on my '01 YZF. My experience and routine is almost identical to penguin's. I did have to replace the throttle cables this weekend (frayed to high heaven), I have bled the brakes several times, I have lubed all swingarm/linkage and steering bearings twice, and I have cleaned the carb a few times (but probably didn't need to once I figured out how to jet the bike). I also check the spokes and sprocket bolts every ride.

I don't think this maintenance schedule is any different than any modern MX bike. On a two stroke you have top ends to do, a four stroke you have valves to keep an eye on. Yes you may have to do a top end but I've got a year on mine and I'm planning on another before I do a top end.

It could be just me but it does appear that the KTM is a little bit more irritating to do the regular maintenance. I understand there are two oil filters to deal with, but then again the new ones have side access air boxes (no tools needed). So it could be a wash.

Get whatever bike you feel comfortable with getting parts for. You will be happy.

hug747

May 14, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
The Yamahas and Hondas are easier to work on than the KTMs, QUOTE]Rich, could you please explain why the Yamahas and Hondas are easier to work on than the KTMs. Judging from outward appearance the KTMs look easier to work on. Side access air box, no linkage, oil lines non-exsistant, although oil filters look like they could be a hassle, and fasteners are all of the same variety (hex head). Single overhead cam, I think should mean less moving parts. Hydraulic clutch, no adjustment--replacement questionable.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rich, could you please explain why the Yamahas and Hondas are easier to work on than the KTMs.

I was referring to major maintenance like pistons, rings, etc. Sorry, I should have been more clear/specific.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom