Cylinder Base Gasket? Not very happy...

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Well I was just getting ready to go riding today and for some reason my bike wouldn't start. Spark,Gas and what seems like compression (500cc). I just had this engine rebuilt by I'll just say a well known shop. It ran great and I just parked the bike after the last ride. I did notice it seemed to be a little harder to start cold but once warmed up it would light off on the first kick. After the rebuild I started the motor a ran it through some warm up-cool down at idle and then I had a coolant leak that started once engine started to come up to temperature. So what did I find? How about the waterpump seal was installed backwards! Ok were human and we all make mistakes... :) So next after 10 hours or so of riding time I get a major gasket leak! (Cylinder Head Base Gasket). I always re-torque my head bolts as per service manual. No warpage.... No engine damage :) The only thing I noticed is the gasket doesn't seem to be as good as OEM Honda Gasket. The gasket appears to even be slightly thinner than OEM. Any Suggestions or tips on how to avoid this from happening again? Please don't say JB weld it!! :laugh:

Thanks for any help... Happy riding this weekend I'll be wrenchin' :whiner:

elf

Jun 7, 2003
If its a paper gasket you can use some gasket sealer, starting with a new gasket of course. You can get sealer at just about any auto parts store. Just make sure you read the label and get the sealer for paper gaskets.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Gasket.... It's fixed!

Yesterday I went and picked up a new head gasket and base gasket. I used a high tack liquid type gasket sealer purchased at Napa. I put the cylinder back on and tightened it down as per service book. Cross tightened a little at a time and torqued a head and jug fasteners to specs. I ran the bike for about 2 hours and everything seems ok. Runs really good! :)

Elf, Thanks for the Reply....

Top Bottom