Cylinder head stud being pulled out when tightened

RMX250DB

Nov 26, 1999
Hey guys,

I recently did an entire rebuild (crank, top-end) on my friends 1994 suzuki RM80 and when i tighten one of the head bolts, it tightens but also pulls the stud up from the cylinder so it dosent get a good seal for the head gasket. When it is started coolant gets pushed up through the stud and out the stud hole. How can i fix this stud??

Thanks in advance

Tom

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Easy fix,
First off apply copious ammounts of high temp locktite to the threads and then put two nuts on the stud,(they will cinch tight to eachother)then run the stud down and let dry. Getting the nuts off is the toughest part because you don't want to uncinch the stud, so use two wrenches while removing the nuts!
Good Luck!
Phillip

mxer1973

May 25, 2002
If it is pulling the std out when tightened, it means either the stud or the hole is stripped(more likely the hole is stripped). Check the stud, if its bad, replace and go. If its the hole, get a helicoil kit, install it and go. I have read other posts and people have suggested welding, I dont think that is the best idea because of heat and distortion. The helicoil will actually work better that factory(just make sure you use antisieze on the bolts, as most held studs are stainless and so are the helicoils.Good luck

Top Bottom