Did I leave a spacer out of the transmission?

Mar 24, 2009
I split my case and put a new crankshaft in and then put it back together. When i put the sprocket back on the motor i noticed the whole set of gears and stuff move about 2 mm from side to side. (if you look at the motor from the front the movement is from left to right) I also found a homeless washer/spacer :bang: Should there be a movement like this or should ite stationary? thanks for any help

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Look at the parts micro fiche after you measure the washer. It will match up and confirm that you get the esteem pleasure of doing it again. Leaving a gear out is worse. 2mm sounds to me to be about a washer thickness missing. But, on what kind of bike? This could be normal for a Chinese bike?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hey, don't be too down on yourself..

I had to pull my nephews KX85 apart to replace some bearings..

I had layed a bead of sealant around the case half, and looked over to the other end of my really big 5 foot long work bench, and noticed the entire transmission laying there.

Thought for a second, looked down and noticed a very empty gearbox in my hands.

I hadn't pulled the cases together yet, but I still had the sealant on there that had to be redone.

It's happened to all of us at one time or another.

Then about a year ago, after doing the top end on my 450, I had just torqued the head down, and was looking for the head pipe, I noticed the front cam chain slider sitting on a shelf.

Had to pull the head back off, order a new head gasket and reinstall. 3 days and $35 bucks later, I had the head back on.

It's stuff like that that teaches you to be very patient and thorough when rebuilding.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Fun with friends.

It's always fun to collect a few gearbox shims and circlips and when your buddy is done with his engine and you're all sitting around enjoying a cold one, place a couple of the shims or circlips on the bench and say, Where's that go???? :yikes: :laugh:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
There's always a couple guys in the shop who just deserve a circlip on the bench after a rebuild.I'd just walk by while they are in the can or something and set it on the bench.Let 'em sweat a bit but as soon as they'd pick up a wrench ya gotta tell 'em.Anything more is just mean.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I once rebuilt the engine on my little mini-pickup. Had the engine all done, lifted it off the engine stand with the cherry picker and while it was hanging I slapped the clutch on.

All through the rest of the installation I could never find my 12mm socket.

When I started the engine I found the missing socket. Apparently it had stayed on the head of the last clutch bolt that I had torqued down. When the engine started it flew off, rattled around in the bell housing a bit before punching a hole and escaping.

Other than a hole in the bell housing everything was OK! I even found all the pieces of the socket and took it back to Sears to get a new one for free!

Lesson learned: When you are putting something together and a part/tool comes up missing, stop what you are doing and find it!

Rod

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I once rebuilt the engine on my little mini-pickup. Had the engine all done, lifted it off the engine stand with the cherry picker and while it was hanging I slapped the clutch on.

All through the rest of the installation I could never find my 12mm socket.

When I started the engine I found the missing socket. Apparently it had stayed on the head of the last clutch bolt that I had torqued down. When the engine started it flew off, rattled around in the bell housing a bit before punching a hole and escaping.

Other than a hole in the bell housing everything was OK! I even found all the pieces of the socket and took it back to Sears to get a new one for free!

Lesson learned: When you are putting something together and a part/tool comes up missing, stop what you are doing and find it!

Rod

crafstman rules :boss:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Man, that is EVIL!!

Only if you let him take the engine back apart. ;) :laugh:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I like the confident ones,"no, no way I forgot that"? Stupid jap trannies, they work as well as a swiss watch. As long as they are in spec, and in order. Otherwise, they come apart like a caramel corn ball in the heat.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom