lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I have had lots of issues with my left wrist (Kienbocks disease) and I recently bought a 2003 KDX220. The clutch pull is very difficult on that bike. Is this normal? A friend has a 2006 CRF250X and it is super easy compared to mine. I guess all I can do is either try lubing the cable (doesn't feel like a sticky cable to me) or buy a Moose or MSR reduced effort lever. I was just wondering if all KDX220 bikes have a difficult pull. Thanks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You would have picked a Honda to compare. If the clutch is installed wrong, modified, bad cable, cable routed wrong, or a different perch could solve the problem. Maybe a hydraulic clutch?

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Yesterday i was doing a little maintaince on friends KX 125. It is older bike and riden by some kid that didn't care about how bike looks and works. Throtle was sticking, clutch was hard to pull and you could feel dirt in cable. Well i took the cables off and first i sprayed them with WD40 and constantly moved the cable. There was so much dirt in clutch cable i couldn't believe. Than i let it dry and lubed properly. Same thing with throtle cable. Also the spring in carburator was bad so i replaced it and now it's like new. Clutch is nice and smooth now and it's just because of dirt, maybe you also have dirty cables so try cleaning up.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Thanks. I will try cleaning the cable this weekend. If that doesn't help I may try the Moose or MSR reduced effort lever. I actually use this on my R6 street racing motorcycle and it works well, but the perch breaks very easily.

Is there a hydraulic clutch I could buy for this bike? I would definitely be interested in that. My Ducati has that and I love it.

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I've got an '01 and the clutch is as easy as they get. It's a pretty simple system. Try to figure out what's binding. Disconnect the cable on both ends to see if it slides easily. Check the lever to see if it moves easily without having to pull the cable... just disconnect one thing at a time to see where the extra resistance is.
Joe

jesus17

May 6, 2008
lemmy said:
Thanks. I will try cleaning the cable this weekend. If that doesn't help I may try the Moose or MSR reduced effort lever. I actually use this on my R6 street racing motorcycle and it works well, but the perch breaks very easily.

Is there a hydraulic clutch I could buy for this bike? I would definitely be interested in that. My Ducati has that and I love it.

I have hydraulic clutch also on my Ducati and i love it, it is very smooth and easy to operate.

Top Bottom