KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
My KDX220 clutch lever is hard to pull. Takes 4 fingers to pull. Is there any way to make it easier besides buying a hydraulic clutch?
It is not in the cable or cable binding. After taking off the cable and just turning the spring loaded L bracket it appears that the problem is behind the clutch cover. Because when I turn it by use of a tool it is still hard to turn. I looked in the manual and it appears that I may need to take off a shim. The manual does not seem clear in fixing this heavy clutch pull.
Has anyone tried this?
Thanks

Last edited:

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
I had the same with my KDX250. The cheapest way is to buy a longer clutch lever which will give more leverage, I used one from a KLX650 which is about an inch longer, its still not as light as some bikes but it certainly made a difference, I can use a couple of fingers now instead of all four. Sounds obvious but check your cable is free and well oiled. If your not the original owner the previous person may have put some stronger springs in the clutch?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
trevor morgan said:
Sounds obvious but check your cable is free and well oiled. If your not the original owner the previous person may have put some stronger springs in the clutch?

Definitly make sure everything is in good working order before changing parts. My clutch pull seemed pretty normal, no harder than I rememeber. Last week I took the lever apart and greased the pivots, and then lubed the clutch cable. Wow, it's so easy now. I have stiffer clutch springs and can still pull it in with one finger. Takes two later in the day when I'm getting tired though. :nod:

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
Well---I got bored and took off the clutch cover. Removed the only spacer according to the manual to get the 80-90 angle. Result was not significant and caused the bike to go in gear even though I had the clutch lever pulled-in. Im going to put the spacer in like it was.
I guess the clutch springs are just heavy duty guage.
Any ideas????

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Have you disconnected both ends of the cable and checked for smooth, easy movement? The lever on the case is always going to be fairly difficult to move. I use channel locks or a cresent wrench to move mine around when removing the clutch cable. That doesn't mean pull at the lever has to be hard. And I really doubt there are clutch springs out there stiff enough to make a 4 finger pull neccissary. Like I said, mine are EBC heavy duty replacements (supposably 10% stiffer than stock) and I can easily pull the lever with 1 finger.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Its a commercial of the super bowl and I'm pretty hammered so I didn't read anyone elses comments but I fixed my hard clutch pull (which doesn't sound near as bad as yours) by spending around $20 on evilbay for a clutch lever. Its the type with 3 different settings giving it 3 different ratios to pull. I was SO amazed at how much of a difference that it made. Give her a try.

Here is a link of what I bought. Maybe you can find something similar on rockymountain.
http://cgi.****.com/****motors/ws/*...d=1,1&item=4601001520&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

May 26, 2005
I did the same thing on mine. Installed the MSR Raptor clutch lever assembly on the lightest setting and it is like butter now. easily a 25-30% improvement over the stock lever.

Top Bottom