bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Going into this bike purchase, I am pretty much positive that I am going to have to lower whatever I get. So I want opinions from the group at large here on what to get as the base bike. My primary criteria are:

1. light weight
2. power delivery suitable for woods or modifiable with flywheel weight to be suitable for woods
3. easy for 5' 4" relatively inexperienced female coming from CRF 100 to handle. She currently loves the low seat height of the CRF100 because when the going gets tough and she is on the seat, she can get to the ground easily. However, when things are going well and she is standing, the very small bike is tough for her to grip with her knees (which are well above the seat) and the bars are too low.

I think these criteria dictate no CRF 150s or 230s or similar bikes due to weight. She has ridden these, and she thinks they are too heavy. She wants something she can pick up herself.

Unfortunately, these criteria may also eliminate lowering my KDX 200, as she thinks it is too heavy.

She likes the KX 100 in the store, but she has never ridden a 2T. Will a flywheel weight really take a lot of the hit out? Will this bike with FWW and jetting changes allow her to putt around when she wants to without fouling plugs?

Can a CRF250X be lowered significantly?

Here's the sticky answers:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

5' 4"
120 lbs female

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

physically fit but not aggressive rider

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

woods and trails, with occasional forays onto outdoor MX tracks (old school only - no outdoor SX stuff).

4) Do you have any riding experience?

competent STREET rider who has been riding off road occasionally about 6 months.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Probably not, but she will be riding at places where they hold HS and enduro races, and often following those trails for fun.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

She is not all that mechanically inclined, but I will grudgingly do the routine maintenance on a 2T. I have never worked on a dirt 4T.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

She prefers the sound of a 4T, and whatever it is needs a reasonably gentle power delivery. I would probably even consider putting a FWW on my KDX200 if that is what she ends up with.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

We have pretty much all dealers nearby.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

I'll spend what I have to, as having her enjoy riding is pretty important to me.

10) Do you live in California?

No.

11) Your age?

She is 25.

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

We just did the Shane Watts school, and her (and my) skill level went way up.

Please remember from above that weight is a big factor.

I am considering a KX 100 plus FWW.

If there is an easy to lower 125 2T with good low end (I know, hah) power out there, I would consider that.

If Honda made a CRF150X I would buy one today.

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2007
The Service Honda Junior X would be perfect. Its just the price. You could also look into the CRF150R with a flywheel weight and lowering link if needed.
Here it is
Junior.jpg

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I think you have a good idea with the KX100. Add a flywheel weight, like you said, and thats a smooth two stroke. They already have a smooth powerband compared to an 85 or a 125. Plus, I think the power will be just right with her coming off of a CRF100. A little more snap and quickness but nothing she won't be able to handle. Its a light bike and with jetting spot on, you can lug just about any two stroke around.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A good suspension shop like MX-Tech can take 5" out of the stock CRF suspension and still have it turn and jump with no problems. They've lowered a few bikes for me and all of them worked excellent.

They took 5 inches out of this CRF450 for me and it will still land soft from 50-60 foot doubles, and because it is lower, it turns better than any CRF450 you'll ever ride. ;)

It's worth talking to them. :cool:

Attachments

• CRF_DTX_2.jpg
    CRF_DTX_2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 617

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Him bmc, there's no easy answer here, unfortuantely.

I'm 5'4", 125lbs and I've got a 2002 Kawasaki KX100. I’ve modified this bike with Tag T2 Top & Bottom Triple Clamps and Moose high bend bars, Fastway F3 footpegs, and Guts tall racing seat to open riding compartment up. I’ve also added an IMS tank and an FMF gold series fatty pipe (not in picture below). Great woods bike for me; very light, agile, and has an incredible amount of power for its size and weight. This is not my first bike, but if your girl has some experience she would probably do fine with this bike. It can be mild or wild, depending on what you ask it to do. Mastery of the clutch is a must though and coming off a mellow little 100 4 stroke, it might be a bit intimidating for her. But if she sticks with it (and you give her help and encouragement) she should figure it out. I don’t use a FFW, but plenty of people swear by them for this bike.

The KX is the first smaller bike I’ve had and I’ve had several full size bikes (1981 RM125, 1994 XR250, and then a 2002 DRZ250). I just got a 2007 Husky TE250 but haven’t spent any time on it because it’s winter, but touching at best was/is always a one foot or the other proposition for me. So you can get a smaller bike and try and open it up, or get a full size bike and lower it for her. I find the weight of full sized 4 strokes to be very oppressive on more technical trails and requires you to work harder to accomplish what the bigger guys are doing on the same bike. It’s frustrating that there’s not more out there in the ¾ size that is not a playbike (like the CRF230). Good luck to you!

009.jpg

Seat height of the Husky in the picture below is 38" (ouch!!) and I'm standing on the side of a berm in order to stradle it. Hopefully we can get it down around 36" but again, that's a one foot or the other proposition. You loose travel by lowering them too much.
008.jpg

Top Bottom