mxracer_03

Dec 28, 2004
My dad and I just got a new 6 by 12 enclosed trailer and were looking for ideas for the interior setup of it. If you could give any ideas or help, that would be great, pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Think it out before setting it up because there are a lot of things you can do. Think how many bikes you want to carry, how you want to load them in, what kind of storage you need, if the trailer might be used for outher things, will you sleep in it, etc... Do a little searching on DRN as well, try typing in "Enclosed trailer" and you'll get a lot of hits with a zillion ideas.

I have a 6x12 and load 4 bikes in it diagonally. Right now I have a tremoraty wheel chock setup but am designing one I will weld from aluminum. My design will allow the entire rack to be removed from the wall leaving the inside as open as possible if I use the trailer for something else. All of my tie down points pull out leaving the floor smooth for outher uses (I used "Bed Bolts" and would stongly reccomend them!). I have a side door that will have a aluminum rack from one of the manufactures for holding oil, sprays, paper towels... so far I think the Sr. Work Station from Pit Products is going to end up being my choice but I have changed my mind 3 times in the 6 months I've been messing around. I placed a HD 16" wire shelf in the front of the trailer and supported it with an aluminum clothes rod from the same group and pop out connectors in the rear. It took a little thinking and creative cutting to match the curved front corners but I am very happy with the solution. It allows me a place to hang stuff and place gear bags etc... off the floor plus I can tip it up and remove the clothes rod or pop the whole shelf out easily. I prefer the wire shelf over a solid shelf because it doesn't get dusty plus allows you to hang the tie downs and clothes from it. I then got a rectangular clear plastic Rubbermaid box with lid and drilled holes that allowed me to zip tie it to the shelf. I keep my manuals, etc... in there and they stay clean and dry but are easy to get at. I also got some nylon webbing and various click type fasteners and keepers and made straps that I screwed with a big washer on it into the walls. This allows me to fasten my pop up and chairs against the wall out of the way but are easy to get at. I also picked up a small squirrel cage type blower at Home Depot (same place I got almost everything) and can plug it in to the small Generac generator I got from Oldguy to move some air to get cooled off. I sill have big plans for flooring and have been looking a several options from Rhino/LineX to industrial coatings.I'm really liking the price and performace of a product called Durabak also sold through Cabelas as Tuff Coat. I'm leaning towards a light grey color to keep the inside brighter, easier to see dropped stuff and cooler. I also picked up a 6' folding table (again at Home Depot) that fols in half so it's about 3'x2'x4" when folded, it too will have a place against the wall. Be sure to have a spare, I mounted mine outside to save valuable inside space. Ah the outside!! I'm either going to weld a rack that goes on the tongue area or will but a aluminum box (can't decide) to store "stuff" on/in. Also on the outside I will be welding some leveling jacks to the rear so that my trailer doesn't pop a wheelie when it's not hooked to my truck and I am loading/unloading bikes.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Almost forgot. In my on going effort to keep Home Depot in business LOL! I also will add a Ridgid OF45150 air compressor to the inside. Then I can inflate tires, air matress, run air tools...

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I haven't got my 7x16 set up yet, but it does have one highly recommended feature: a roof mount AC unit.

It's Da Bomb! 90F outside, 72F inside. :cool:

mxracer_03

Dec 28, 2004
You have some real good ideas Patman, I like the idea of having a shelf/rack on the side door, that will be a bonus. The first thing we are going to do is paint the wall's white just to brighten it up as much as we can, were still not sure about what we are going to do with the floor however. I like shelf setup you have at the front of your trailer Smit-Dog. Thanks for the help.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
White walls will brighten it up, but make sure it's a heavy duty gloss enamel that is made for outdoor applications. It will get scuffed up, so consider that when going with white. I painted the walls a light industrial gray, and the ceiling bright white. Sometime this winter I'm going to rig up a string of rope lighting around the entire perimeter, hidden up near where the ceiling corner joists meet the walls.

And FWIW.... The can shelf / rack would be convenient mounted on a door, but I didn't want the weight of it hanging on the hinges.

Another tip... buy some of that black foam pipe insulation, hollow, about 3" in diameter, and 6' or so long. Cut it to length, split it on one side vertically, and caulk it to the metal header above each door. I cut my head so bad walking out of the trailer, there was bloody hair stuck to the metal edge. :ohmy:

More info...

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showpost.php?p=411443&postcount=14

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I painted the floor and 10-12 inches up the walls with the imitation Rhino-liner from Walmart. It seems to be holding up pretty well. Whatever you do, paint it or cover it before you use it and get oil on the floor.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
My dad put black and white 12x12 tiles down in the 6x12 we had. They held up for awhile, but they eventually started peeling. His trailer now (8x16) has something like HLG used for his trailer. Has held up very well.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
patman, do you have any pic's of the wire shelving in the front of your trailer? i want to see how that worked out.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i took a lower cost easy solution to my floor. i painted one coat of just floor paint and let it dry - then i painted with gray floor paint and instead of mixing the grit stuff in the paint - i made a "shaker" out of a peanutbutter jar (drill small holes in top) - i then painted some and then would shake the grit on the floor. it produced a much rougher surface than the mixture would. one drawback of the gritty floor is that you really can't sweep the thing - you have to use a blower to get dirt out (yet another reason to have an air compressor in your trailer)

patman - how about hooking me up with one of your 4x-bike wheel chock systems!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check out MX727's trailer in his gallery. He made some nice ideas work. I'm current'y working on some ideas that I hope to make commercially available, specifically with the offroad riders in mind. Hope to be able to unveil in at the Dallas SX.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
My name is Tony and I have a trailer ... oops, wrong meeting. :coocoo:

I have a 7x14 Pace with interior wheelwells. Similar to Patman's, I have mine set up to hold 4 bikes diagonally.

I built a cabinet across the front of the trailer, putting drawers in the middle and doors on either side. The cabinet has a solid wood top I built and an open shelf above. The cabinet is used to store all my folding cloth chairs, microwave, cans, extra beer and cooking stuff. On the door I built a can rack with a space to hang tie downs.

I used a piece of 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle bolted to the floor with verticle angles to nest the front tire in. It is cheap but effective. I ran a 10 foot section of eline along the wall about 2 feet off the floor to tie the bikes down with.

In the back corner (the dead triangle after the last bike is loaded) is filled with a cabinet that holds my air tank, tool box and battery / charger.

Cots (3) are tied down on one wheel well and tables and one metal folding chair on the other.

I have the trailer wired with 12v DC lights and a 30A 120V hookup as well for RV parks and a future generator.

I just installed a 10,000 BTU wall mounted heater that runs off LP and does not need any electricity. The neat thing is it has an Oxygen sensor and will shut off automatically if need be. It is not real efficient right now because the ceiling if the trailer is the back side of the aluminum skin.

Now I am off looking at a gooseneck so I may be starting over soon. :coocoo:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll try and dig the digital camera out and take a few pics. It's far from done though. And as soon as I get the prototype of my bike rack finished I'll let ya' know and maybe we can work something out ;)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Tony Eeds said:
Now I am off looking at a gooseneck so I may be starting over soon. :coocoo:

That's the best kind of trailer in all. They tow so much better that it's not even funny. I'd trade my 7x16 for a gooseneck in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom