kbud

Aug 28, 2002
My dad raced with Fred Andrews back in the day in a hare scrambles in salem, ohio. Mr. Andrews is from salem. This was before he was a nationally known rider. I guess he rode circles around everybody at the race, my dad said he passes him 3 or 4 times.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
are you aware that andrews was a pretty successful motocross racer before he made a name for himself racing off-road?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Dude is it true that Big Lou Holt really throws away his bikes after each practice? I heard that he can wear a bike out in 3 laps, and it's not just because he's "big" lou.

Oh and someone also told me that biggie holt was dating britney spears now and that notourious l.o.u smacked J.T and told him to step off and that's how he got her :eek:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Kevin Windham and I raced once in Fernwood, Mississippi. I was on a KX500, Kevin was on a KX80. The little %*#^! beat me to the first corner. If I coulda got the holeshot; it would have been interesting.

Well, maybe if I had got the holeshot and Kevin had two flats. . . . better make that two flats and run out of gas . . . . and caught on fire . . . . yeah; that would have been a good race . . .

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
The year: 1989.
The time: Night before the First Annual Albuquerque Mile.
The place: A popular nightclub in Albuquerque.

Here’s the situation, me and several of the regulars from The Georgetown Cycle Shop are doing our usual Saturday night swill-a-thon. Of course we are properly attired for a night on the town in our grease stained dirt bike oriented t-shirts and ball caps.

Suddenly a group of slightly inebriated bar patrons, in NASCAR and World of Outlaw t-shirts, begins staring and pointing to us dirt bikers. As they approach the tension in the room escalates, drinks are downed, fists are clenched, and pants are peed. The biggest and ugliest one of them places a fat stubby finger on Tommy’s chest and says “yer Scott Parker ain’t ya?” Tommy slowly removes the Marlboro from his pie hole, points lower lip toward the ceiling, exhales a mighty blast of smoky brew-breath, and replies calmly “yes I am.” “Who’s askin?”

Tom signed autographs for that bunch of dumb-asses, they bought a round of drinks, and we all closed the place down. I’ll bet those guys were really impressed that ol’ Scott “Tommy” Parker was able to win the Albuquerque Mile after drinkin and smokin’ till 2:00AM the night before a race.

Tom really did look like Scott Parker. I wonder if those fellers still have his autograph. :laugh:

Last edited:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I grew up in Oklahoma and raced on a weekly basis against Guy Cooper.  That was before he slept in his van as a Privateer at the Nationals and yes he was very fast then also. However, there were actually a couple of other local guys that were just as fast.  Our Pro races were something to watch.  Some of the names most of you have probably never heard of are Dennis Daft, Dennis Hawthorne, Roy Schellenberger, and a couple others that I cannot remember their names for the life of me. 

When Guy and these guys raced it was a tossup as to who would win and fun to watch.  Of all of them Dennis Daft was probably the most naturally talented rider I ever saw and could beat Guy on a regular basis.  Dennis Hawthorn went on to Arenacross when it first started and did very well, one title as I recall.  He also did some Nationals but I don't think with much success.  Roy also ran some Nationals before his life changing injuries.  He was very good also but came on a little later than the others.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I met Dennis Hawthorne once. Helluva nice guy. Probably still have his the small poster he autographed for me in a box somewhere. It was when he was doing work for Team Green off road I believe, it was at an enduro.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Dennis Hawthorne won multiple AX championships - he dominated that series for awhile, probably 4 or 5 years. I think he did have some top 10 national finishes and did make some SX mains, as well. Saw him race AX several times and I think he won every time.

I don't race much, but I did go to junior high with Jeff Ward. He rode an XR75 then. I remember a Japanese film crew came to film him at school one day.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Dennis is now a Kawasaki rep in Wisconsin and still races vet classes around here. He is still very fast. I knew he had ran the AX series when it first started and before it really went National, but I was not aware he won that many titles. Like Coop, he is a great voice for the sport and was always willing to help a fellow racer.

It was alot of fun growing up in the late 70's and early 80's and running the Texas and Oklahoma tracks. Some of the talent in the Pro classes was second to nobody in the country. SoCal was in it's heyday then and probably the only other area with the talent OK/TX had at the time.

Of course, I may be just a little bit biased. 

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Come to think of it; I actually PASSED John Martin once. It was a national enduro in Enon, Louisiana circa 1983.

John was riding a Can-Am, I was on an XR350. We had dumped out on a gravel road when I heard a god-awful racket behind me. I glanced back to see a little guy hauling butt to pass me up. Not willing to give up that easily; I screwed it on and away we went, but him being John Martin and all; he got right on around me. I followed right behind him for a bit (still keeping it interesting you see) around several bends in the road; slinging gravels and having a grand old time. We wuz moving!!!!

The trail turned left off the road and lo and behold; John blew wide in the corner a little bit. A-HAA!!! I got you now!!!!! And shore 'nuff I passed him right on by. Hee hee hee!!! :yeehaw: He never had a prayer!!

Funny; the trail got a little technical after that and John motored right back by and I never saw him again the rest of the day.

Damn; was that really twenty years ago? :whiner:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by karterron
Some of the names most of you have probably never heard of are Dennis Daft, Dennis Hawthorne, Roy Schellenberger, and a couple others that I cannot remember their names for the life of me.

trey jorski.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I used to race pro dirt track for several years, so I got to ride and race with a bunch of famous people in that sport...some before they made it big, some during their heydays. And no, I didn't beat any of these guys listed, but once in a while if the moon and stars were aligned just right, I could keep them on the same straightaway!
Scott Parker
Chris Carr
Jay Springsteen
Kevin Atherton
Steve Morehead
Steve Eklund
Ricky Graham
Bubba Shobert
Hank Scott
Ted Boody
Terry Poovey
Scott Pearson and others

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Did I ever tell you guys that I rode with Scott Parker? Heck, I had lunch with him.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm up and coming, you'll be glad to say you rode me in a few years.;)

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Hey Ron, Bob and I actually rode with Dennis Daft a couple of years at Lake Murray in Oklahoma. A very good friend of ours, Danny Ware, still lives in Lawton and we try to take a trip down there every year to ride with him. He is friends with Daft, so we got to ride with him a couple of years back. Daft is still VERY FAST!

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I started road racing in 1989 at a small track in Texas called 'Oakhill Raceway" and Colin Edwards raced his TZ250. His parents were always there because he was only 15.
Oh yeah, I once raced a tag-team hare scramble with Rhode Island's famous PapaKieth...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Even though it wasn't officially a race, it was all I could do to keep up with Jeff Smith, 2-time World 500cc motocross champion (1964-65) / multi-time ISDE Gold medaler, on a 2-day ride of a bunch of single track in Michigan's U.P.

The guy is 68 years old, and was riding a 10 year old XR-400. He was kind enough to wait for me at times.

:worship:

jeff_smith.jpg

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Ive raced with Pual Whibley last year, he is racing the World Enduro Champs this year and not doing to badly either. In a 25 min moto he lapped me once and was 3 corners from the finish so i was kinda happy with that, he's one of the best motocross riders in New Zealand as well as, rides everything, enduros, motox and cross country, and wins in all.
My old man used to road race back in the day and raced some pretty good road racers, one being Pat Hennan(sp), but a production bike never had a chance againist a full facotry GP bike, but if your first in the photo the photo cant lie a?? :-)

Top Bottom