L

LukeRips

GETMETOCA said:
I was in the Bearfoot Family Enduro with Rodney Smith and his kids. Never saw him because he was on like minute 2 or 3 and I was on minute 70-something. Turns out the BIG SUPREMO RV camped right next to mine was his!

It must not have been Rodney Smith from Antioch, CA with 5 GNCC races under his belt because he doesn't have kids. I know him and his wife Lori pretty well.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i've raced against reynard, cliff palmer (former ax champ), and jeff fredette (at dw 01).

with reynard, we had a combined gate. i was in 25+ and he was in 125 expert. i made it my goal to holeshot him since he was on a 125 and i was on a 250. he sandbagged the start to practice passing. :(

with palmer, we were on a split gate. me in 25+ and him in 250 pro. the pros went first. my goal was to not get lapped. i failed, but he was the only pro that caught me.

i was just happy to lead fredette for a couple laps. he was probably just cruising.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I remember that, it was a lot of fun! Fredette was blazing fast in the corners (couldn't touch him there), but wasn't doing the jumps. I could have passed him over the jumps, but didn't feel it would be safe, not worth the risk. He was battling with a guy coming into the corner before the camel hump jump (at Casey). I knew they would take the inside (much shorter path), but there was a berm way out further than they line they were on. To have any chance of passing them, I would have to go full bore pinned in 4th not touching the brakes until the last second, and either blow over the berm or rail it. As I slid with rear tire locked into the berm, I downshifted into 3rd, and within a second or so the powerful CR engine was ready to pull 4th again. Fredette and the other rider (Jay was that you?) were still elbow to elbow exiting the corner, and I was able to make it around both of them and finally take the big jump that I had been practicing. One or both of them probably could have easily blocked me, had they known what I was up to.

Years ago, I rode with Johnny Martin (I think he runs Milleville now) and as a kid, that was a big deal. After the experience, I went home and dug out all of my old Dirt Rider magazines to read about his races.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I met John Martin at a Trail Rider's of Houston club meeting way back in the day. John was the defending National Hare Scrambles Champion (1985 I think) and he was the guest speaker on Hare Scrambles strategy. He seemed like a super nice guy.

handywork

Sep 5, 2005
Not raced,but rode.2 seperate times,1st Steve Gall,came to a quarry outside Sydney to ride,sign autographs,should have seen the enterage behind the big fella.Couldn`t race him as I had a YZ80 and he was riding YZ250.2nd,Riders from "On any Sunday",same spot,they were racing around one of the smaller quarries and flat stickin it up the steep walls to get air.Was told by some fellas to "Wait there son",could have been security,production who knows.Being me I paid no heed and ripped my little DG YZ80 out along the top track but I was no match compared to them.Even tried getting some air up the same wall,only to be blocked at the top after by about 10 guys and was told "#&*@ off son,we are trying to make a movie".I rode away,but I wasn`t sad,best 15 minutes of my life

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Anyone ever heard of or remember Kevin Brown? I met about a month or so ago while we were both pumping gas at a station off of I-85 in Georgia. He said he quit racing a few years ago after a bad car accident and that up until that point he was competing in the Nationals and SX. I've only been following MX/SX the last few years, so I had never heard of him before. He said that he had talked to Travis P the day before (this was just after TP had won the Xgames this year). He said he's now installing Fibre Optics.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
motometal said:
Fredette and the other rider (Jay was that you?) were still elbow to elbow exiting the corner, and I was able to make it around both of them and finally take the big jump that I had been practicing.

yeah, there's a pic of that pass posted somewhere here but i couldn't find it.

DDaft

Jul 3, 2006
Dennis Daft

karterron and Annebrooks,
Dennis Daft is my dad and its crazy that i stumbled on this thread, im 16 and him and my mom are divorced and im living in colorado and hes living down in north dallas now. but thats crazy that you guys knew him, would he know who u guys are, or remember? cause im goin down to spend the summer with him in a couple weeks and ill mention something to him.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
My nephew used to race with Travis Pastrana in PA sometimes, back when they were both just squirts.

Jim Pomeroy was racing a vintage national I did a couple of years ago, and we were not on the track at the same time (different class) but getting to watch him run an old Bultaco around Budds Creek was such a treat I didnt care. He was just soaring. Unbelievable.

3TV

Jul 2, 2006
I raced against Dan Smith once. He has won the Barstow to Vegas overall several times, and has won a number of National Hare & Hound Desert Racing Championships. I think he is racing trophy trucks in SCORE races now though.

Back when I raced against him it was at a National Hare & Hound desert race, and I remember that I was lined up right next to him on the starting line. And I stayed right with him too, ... right up to fourth gear at least, LOL. That was the point where I started to back off a bit (very rough sage brush), and he kept it pinned wide open, and kept shifting up. I never saw him again; he won the overall, I didn't :fft:

X Fab

Aug 29, 2006
When I was road racing in '89 I was passed by Daytona 200 champ Scott Russell. It was during morning practice at Blackhawk farms, he ran a little wide on the exit while passing me and nudged me a bit then wheelied away looking back and giving me an apologetic wave. It was pretty cool. Quite the humbling experiance though, one second I think I'm fast the next I know I'm not! :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I haven't ridden with any famous riders, but one of the owners of the track that I ride at is a famous former basket ball player. Rik Smits, former center of the Indiana Pacers. It's fun just to watch him ride. Plus he's a super nice guy.

X Fab

Aug 29, 2006
I was passed by his cousin Vaughn Gone! :)

Hey IndyYZ85 where did you ride with Smits? I heard he still lives here close to Indianapolis.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
X Fab said:
I was passed by his cousin Vaughn Gone! :)

Hey IndyYZ85 where did you ride with Smits? I heard he still lives here close to Indianapolis.

He lives in Zionsville. I ride with him at the track he owns on the westside of Indy.

Rik's a pretty cool guy to hang out with once he gets to know you. And he's a pretty damn good rider!

X Fab

Aug 29, 2006
That's right, he's part owner of the "Indianapolis National Speedway" on the westside of Indy. Do you ride the flattrack or the mini motocross track? My son has done a couple of practice nights there on both.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I raced, and beat, Jason DiSalvo once.

Of course he was 15 or so and riding a 125 at the time. He also proceeded to get faster, while I just got older.

I should have kept the result sheet from that one. ;)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
X Fab said:
That's right, he's part owner of the "Indianapolis National Speedway" on the westside of Indy. Do you ride the flattrack or the mini motocross track? My son has done a couple of practice nights there on both.

Until this past Sunday (http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=140524) I rode on the MX track. But I help run the place when I'm not riding. On Saturday nights I either work the pitgate or help on the starting line. During practices I do just about whatever needs to be done.

On the MX track, I help build and maintain the track. It's all volunteer work, but I do get some nice perks for lending a hand.

Racesmith

Nov 15, 2006
X Fab said:
When I was road racing in '89 I was passed by Daytona 200 champ Scott Russell. It was during morning practice at Blackhawk farms, he ran a little wide on the exit while passing me and nudged me a bit then wheelied away looking back and giving me an apologetic wave. It was pretty cool. Quite the humbling experiance though, one second I think I'm fast the next I know I'm not! :)

I used to date his sister Suzy back in college... ;)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Watch Tim Tremblay in a couple of years ;)

Top Bottom