whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yep!

Mark Barnet in around 1974, K&R raceway Valporaiso,In., again around 1977 Redbud, he was fast both times I seen him per moto. Couple of more years and we'll see how my oldest son does,he goes to A class for 07, he's raced with Pastrana,Woods, Nick Wey,Chad Johnson and Brad Ripple lives down the street, sometimes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
High Lord Gomer said:
LOL! There's a lot of fast guys I'e got to see twice per moto, too!

That's nothin... I've seen fast guys 3 or 4 times per moto.

Err... well, not so much seen as felt, as I got passed.

mxteach

Oct 18, 2006
Travis Pastrana is the biggest name i rode with. It was at Budds Creek when he told me about his new trick "The Cliffhanger". It had rained hard the night before and was drizzling during the day. I could barely stay upright and he was pulling cliffhangers off all the jumps.....INSANE.

Other than that I have ridden with Jason Conlon (top 10 Supermoto this year), Kevin Crine, Barry Carsten, Tom Welsh (top 100 National rider), and probably a few more.

Watched kids like Zach Osborne, Nick Evaneu, and Nicco Izzi come up and fly. (forgive me is spell names wrong)

My brother grew up racing Amber Hughes who went on to be one of the top female racers....for what its worth.

mudturtle

Mar 28, 2008
jorski

karterron said:

That was definately one of the names I couldn't remember.  He was the original fast guy.  Any idea what he is doing now?
hes racing tccra and some vintage races , still hauls butt , raced with him years ago , or ill say tried to ,

bobbyhill925

Aug 28, 2005
Ride with kyle cunningham all the time and damon huffman. Rode on the same track as tim ferry, james stewart, nico izzi, josh grant and a few others one day

mudturtle

Mar 28, 2008
old texas guys

used to race with denis hawthorne when he was a skinny kid about 13 used to beat him then one day i couldnt do it any more , and nobody else could eather ??? also tried to race with wyman priddy :yikes:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I've raced with Guy Cooper, and Trey Canard. I've been on the track while Robbie Reynard was there. It's amazing how fast those guys are. You see them on tv and the look fast, but when you ride with them you realize how amazing the difference is between you and them. I could hold with them through smaller jumps/rhythm sections, but the big stuff and especially in TURNS I had no chance. It's amazing to see how much speed they carry through corners...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Let's see...

Kurt Caselli, Juha Salminen, Jeff Fredette and about 587 other riders from around the world at the 07 ISDE. Not that I was on the same level of competition as Caselli, Salminen and the rest of the top guys.

Locally I've raced quite a bit against Cory Graffunder (4th at 06 Red Bull Last Man Standing) and a bunch of other fast canucks, including Guy Perrett.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
As a young guy and growing up in Los Angeles, we raced Friday night MX at Indian Dunes. I was racing a 125 at the time, and use to watch Jeff Ward rip it up on his XR75. Moved to the Midwest and rode Hare Scrambles (a few nationals) with Summers, Plessinger, Roessler, Andrews, Norton and many more. Rode an ISDT Reunion ride in Mass a few years ago and many legends were there. All those guys passed me like I was standing still........well maybe I actually passed some at the ISDT (the ancient, crippled and blind ones)

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I can't say I've raced with anyone famous, you'd be hard pressed to call what I do on a track racing. Attempted survival would be a better description. But I have ridden on the same track, at different times, with Mike Brown, Zach Osborne, and Kevin Walker.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Humm, my memory is not so good.

I didn't pay attention to other people too much when I was racing MX outside of D-22, like at the Santa Fe Speedway, Red Bud, and the Daytona Supercross (all am. class races,) but I remember reading quite a few of the names later on, (Kenny Keylon, David Bailey, others, ?, etc.)

I started paying attention a bit more when I started off-road. My Good friend and multi-time ISDT(E) medalist Ray Cosgrove introduced me to many of them. Jeff Fredette, John Martin, Scott Summers, Jeff Smith, Bill Gusse, & others, I'm not recalling now. I got passed by lots of famous current fast-guys at last year's Perry Mountain 24-hour Challenge. (Do a search for it and you can read the entry list; some Nat'l Champs.)

When I was roadracing, there were a bunch. Dave Aldana, Kevin Schwantz, John Kocinski, Doug Polan, Scott Russell, Jamie James, Thomas Stevens, Mike Smith, Randy Renfrow, Dave Sadowski, Kurt Hall, Mike Harth, Deano Swims, and many, many, more that are escaping my feeble, decrepit mind now. Quite a few world champions in the making, when I was racing against them.

I'll surely need to edit this post as my memory drudges up more packets of information. I'm surely forgetting some.

I was on the bridge (repaired,) today that Mike Lafferty smashed when he tried to jump it a few weeks ago and broke his hand. I don't think that counts for anything.

And of course my good friends James Embro and Elmer Symons (R.I.P.) have done the Dakar Rally a couple of times.

Working a short while at Rob Muzzy's shop, in Hesperia, Ca. and getting to work post-race Suzuki Cup tech. insp. with Kevin Cameron were some of my most memorable experiences, though.

Wow, I never thought about all of this before! :) :ride:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Junior Jackson used to start the races at Byron from the backwards position off the gate, he still won!
I was nearly done MXing when Junior's dad was building some incredible custom micro-mini stuff for him to race. That guy was not afraid to machine a chunk of metal! At 5 or 6, (I don't know, maybe 7 or 8,) it was obvious Junior was going to 'go places.'

Of course, I also didn't know the legacy of Bill Tuman, Sr., back in the days that Billy was racing an XR75 Honda, either!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
LOL! Darrell used to ride his CR500 sitting on it backwards during practice before the races (many years ago). He had a fast son, too.
Last summer, after winning his class, he got off of his bike and mounted backwards for a trip down the start straight. I'm pretty sure that it a CRF450F he's rolling on now. I also watched him nearly destroy his Cub scooter in a pitbike race a while back. I've never seen his son ride, I don't think.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
SpDyKen said:
Humm, my memory is not so good.

When I was roadracing, there were a bunch. Dave Aldana, Kevin Schwantz, John Kocinski, Doug Polan, Scott Russell, Jamie James, Thomas Stevens, Mike Smith, Randy Renfrow, Dave Sadowski, Kurt Hall, Mike Harth, Deano Swims, and many, many, more that are escaping my feeble, decrepit mind now. Quite a few world champions in the making, when I was racing against them.

Wow, I never thought about all of this before! :) :ride:

HOLY CR@P. You raced with those dudes? That's awesome. I've watched many races at Laguna seca with these guys going at it. :cool:

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
I didn't race against him but met and rode with Doug Henry one time at Stevenson Dam in Oxford ct.Thats where he's from. Actually I did meet him and ride there the same day as him, but we were'nt even close to riding together. All i see is a sand storm behind me, than ate some sand as he went by :whoa: Pretty cool though. I'd have to say it was in the late 80's or early 90's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom