dpdiehl

Apr 4, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with the EVS WEB carbon fiber knee brace? In theory, I like the idea of a "break-away" design to limit the chance of a broken leg. I'm between the WEB and ordering a pair of Asterisk Cells.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
The break away design works in F1 cars but I would not want a brace on my knee that is designed to fail. I have had the Asterisk for a year and a half and LOVE them. I have had knee surgery on both knees and I like them better than my CTi2.

alphado, I hope they work out for you... I guess we won't know how the break away system works till someone breaks it... don't let it be you, let someone else do it.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I'd also like to hear some opinions of the system / brace.

I'm currently unable to ride after breaking my tibia and fibula twice within 3 months last year. I've been advised not to ride until the steel rod is removed from my tibia after 12 months.

I've been meaning to buy some knee braces for some time now and committed to myself to do so before riding again. I'd pretty much settled on the Cells.

However, one thought that is really concerning me is the potential pressure knee braces may place on my susceptable bones.

Are my concerns founded? Do knee braces increase the probability of leg breaks? Is the EVS 'breakaway' system the answer?

alphado

Uhhh...
Jun 6, 2001
I got mine but have only been able to wear them around the house. I live in PA and am going to try to get out for some snow riding this weekend. This is my first set of knee braces so I don't have anything to compare to, but here is what I think so far. The quaility and fit and finish is very good, the floating knee cup is very comfortable as well as the liner. I have been wearing them for a few hours at a time around the house on my bare leg with out any discomfort. They were a little weird to get used to, but I would imagine that any brace would be being that I have never worn a brace before. Regarding the "crumple zone" feature I think that it has to be quite a severe crash to cause tha brace to crumble. I got scared after hearing all of the people with broken femurs while wearing braces. As I said before I am going to try to get out and ride this weekend, I will post a complete review following that.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Just my opinion, but I would welcome a femur break over some soft tissue damage in the knee joint, I have broken my femur and it healed in four or five months, that was fifteen years ago with no chronic pain problems at all. I don't think someone with a knee injury would have the same luck. If you injure the joint I would guess it would be problematic for life. The cells are designed to protect the knee joint and if they do that for me, and I break my leg in a crash then believe me that is a good thing.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm curious to see if EVS issues a disclaimer with their braces... seems to me it would be pretty difficult to design a breaking point that protects the knee while not breaking a bone. Who's bone? Needless to say, there's a big difference in bone from one person to the next. I'm also not sure about the "people breaking femurs" due to braces statement, I'm sure it's happened, but... simple fact is, if your leg takes a big enough hit to break a bone, it's going to break rather you are wearing a brace or not. Tell ya what, apply the force it takes to break a femur to a knee; man I don't even want to think about how bad that would be.

I think as Speedway said, protecting the knee is more important than a bone... sure there are extremes to everything, but in general, having wrecked my knee and had surgery, I would have preferred to break a bone. The knee happened almost 20 years ago, still have problems with it. Once you do a knee, it's never the same.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom