GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Okay, I didn't get a new arm, but I needed to try out my recently healed humerus and headed over to Carnegie to see how it would hold up. Its been two months and a week since I broke it in Reno and I was getting kinda antsy to ride again.

I knew things were going to be okay when I was able to get the bike onto the motojack rack. I had to lift up the back end using my newly healed arm and it seemed to be able to lift the bike with no pain. A little weak, but I could maneuver the heavy end just fine. I remember my back protesting a bit, but that was it.

I get to Carnegie and find my friend Shannon and his Dad Archie. There's a MX race on Sunday so the track is covered with RC types getting in their practice. I decided to stay off the track. I also needed to put some air in both tires because sitting in the garage for 2 month made them go flat.

So down the road I putt....nothing pulling, no pain. I decide to get off the fire road and into the rocky whoops trail section. I'm holding onto the bars just fine, things seem to be going well. I travel all the way down to the far end and take the Los Osos Trail back into the hills for a while. Other than trying to stay out of the way of Quad types, there were few obstacles on these friendly trails.

I circle back around and try out going up one of the practice hills. The arm still feels fine, no issues there. I take one of the Blue Intermediate trails and find myself looking down a hill that will require me to get up on the pegs and use a lot of shoulder strenth the keep from going over the bars. Hmmmmm. :ohmy:

I would liken the slope on this downhill to Indian Hill at Clear Creek. Nothing terribly steep but steep enough to require focus. My arm felt like it was going to give out and then my terribly bad habit of wanting to crunch the front brake kicked in. I told myself to let go and just ride it down. I will never figure out why I think "brake" means "Safe" when I should just "GO". Anyway, no mishaps, I made it down okay but decided my arm was not going to be there for me when I needed it on downhills. Not yet anyway.

I spent the day putting in 19 miles of just fun stuff, getting most of my workout from the rocky creek bed whoops and staying off the hills. I need to do some more stength excercises on my arm and I should be back to normal here pretty quick. :thumb:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great news, Natalie! So...now you can make it out for the Paragon ride next weekend...right?! :thumb: Dave's just about ready to bottle his first batch of Cayuga white....
:laugh:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
glad to hear you are back riding. it gives me some hope too...

its been six-weeks since i broke my humerous too. according to dr. would be back working out if the titanium rod did not split out at bottom during surgery - as in could break at that point with a small hit. he suggested i stay off the bike until bone heals completely (something like 3 months). i have yet to even lift my arm from the shoulder - pt is going to be h&*^ on this one.

just wondering - was yours an impact injury? i had no impact marks on body or equipment - dr suspects that bike whipped around quickly enough (as was in opposite direction of travel) and twisted my arm with enough force to break the bone (a few times) esp since i never let go of the bars - he was suprised that shoulder/elbow/wrist had no apparent damage.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Great news Nat!! I'm so glad to hear things are healing up so nicely!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
That's great news Nat. We'll see you at Paragon next weekend :ohmy:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Good dealio Natty!! :yeehaw:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Right on Natt! Glad to hear you're riding again

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I knew you wouldn't sit out for long. :thumb: I'm glad to hear you're recovering so well.

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Natalie! Congratulations! That is really good news! If you want to go tool around on the bike... nice and easy ride. Let Pierre and I know! We would love to meet you somewhere! Coming thru SJ soon?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great news, Natilie. Glad your bike on your bike, now the healing will really begin.:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom