Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
I have a 2000 Sherco 2.0 which appears to have almost never been ridden. The problem is, old fuel was left in the tank. I have had the Dellorto off 3 times to clean it. There was a white pasty residue clogging the Pilot and Main plus build-up in the float bowl. I emptied the tank and rinsed it with fresh gas the first time I cleaned the carb, but I think I may need something a bit more powerful. I was thinking about removing the tank again and maybe using Acetone, and letting it sit overnight, then flushing with hot soapy water. Any thoughts? Is the acetone safe for the fuel tank? I've used it many times for cleaning leftover adhesive from tanks and shrouds before installing new graphics, I've just never used it to clean the inside of a tank before.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Don't leave acetone in the tank, about the only plastic it won't eat is cured fibreglass, i wouldn't put it in at all. Have you had the fuel tap apart it could be corroded while its out you can confirm that the filter on it is OK. If the filter is OK and nothing is loose in the tank you can concentrate on the carby.

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Any ideas on what would be a safe solvent to use? The filter is on the fuel line between the valve and carb, and it will be replaced once I get everything all clean. I have finally tracked down jets for the Dellorto, but before I clean it a 4th time before rejetting, I want the tank absolutely spotless inside. The petcock is easy, but the tank is gonna be a pain! If I can get this done and get the correct pilot jet installed, this bike should be a dream.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High flash point Mineral spirits and some number nine birdshot rattling around in the tank is fairly safe and effective way to clean the tank. Using the tank restoration kit from Kreem is a little more expensive but it works really well for cleaning and sealing the tank. I've used their stuff in the past with great results.

http://www.kreemproducts.net/p-22-kreem-mega-combo.aspx

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Rich,
How long would you let the tank sit with the mineral spirits? I'm gonna run out tomorrow and pick up a bag of #9 and give it a "shot"... :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Good question. I never usually let it sit for very long. The shot bouncing tends to do most of the work.

If it's a metal tank I don't think letting it sit will cause any issues.

Top Bottom