pace

Nov 21, 2003
john3_16 said:
I wouldn't consider an electric servo motor opening a powervalve as technically advanced..It's still the same design using a different means to do the same thing...The only difference is you have an electric motor opening a powervalve instead of a totally mechanical process. More of a useless gimmick than a breakthrough in design technology...

Bruce is right. It was considered more technologically advanced because an electronically operated valve can make use of sophisticated computer control. It's hard to achieve that with a mechanical valve, so they essentially operate in a binary/ternary fashion.

In practice this probably helped contribute to the overly-linear power delivery of the CR motor, so technology can certainly be poorly applied..

john3_16

May 17, 2004
pace said:
Bruce is right. It was considered more technologically advanced because an electronically operated valve can make use of sophisticated computer control. It's hard to achieve that with a mechanical valve, so they essentially operate in a binary/ternary fashion.

In practice this probably helped contribute to the overly-linear power delivery of the CR motor, so technology can certainly be poorly applied..

I didn't say it wasn't considered so...I said that I wouldn't consider it as such......Some people consider the extra displacement allowed to 4 strokes as a technological advancement too...I don't....

Advancement is the same as progress...Was there progress made ? Was the CR250 made better as a result ? IMHO it resulted in technological retracement...It was just old technology being applied to a 2 stroke powervalve...If it performed better then it would be an advancement but it ended up being more of a redundant technological gimmick that resulted in a retracement in performance...Kind of like like the nutty professor walking into the kitchen in the morning and pressing a button on the wall that sets off a chain reaction of events and instead of having a nicely cooked breakfast he gets burnt toast and raw egg on the cabinent because it missed the frying pan...Now nutty professor has a mess to clean up in addition to having to cook his own breakfast.....It's technology per se, but not an advancement.

What was implied was that 2 stroke was dead and there's no more to be gained from advances in 2 stroke technology because the CR250 was"the most technologically advanced"...I disagree.

Maybe the manufacturers will get a break from the AMA and we get the "technological advance" of extra displacement relieving the R&D departments from having to develop something that really is new and improved.

Last edited:

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
The AMA have just made a rule that ALL schoolboy racers must ride a 2stroke (125) havent they?? If so I presume this is a big market and therefore a lot of bikes will be sold. So the factories will still be competing and advancing their 2stroke machines maybe?

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
i thought boyesen had some special powervalve design patented that will give two strokes wider powerband like a four stroke. i think i saw an article in MXA about it last spring.

Aug 26, 2005
bedell99 said:
I see a trend happening though with the four strokes and it is maintence issues and price for rebuilds. Two strokes solve a lot of these problems and right now there is another shift happening with people buying 2 stroke 250's again and for good reason. They are reliable, fun as hell and powerful enough for the ordinary guy. I also think if the manufactures made a 144cc bike I would go out and buy one over a 250f. We need to keep 2 stroke development because I know if we don't there will come a day when we are buying a crf450 for $8000 and crying aevery time it blows up. That is not good.

Erik

Erik

I agree totally. The ultra high maintenance thing for 4-strokes will have to improve, or people will begin to tire of it. I also think people would QUICKLY begin to develop nostalgia for 2-strokes if they were suddenly not available.

BTW 20 years ago, many people would have insisted that internal combustion engines were on the way out and electric or alternative fuel cars would dominate the roads by now, and that the oil industry was a dying field------yeah RIGHT. :nener:

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
2-stroke diehard said:
BTW 20 years ago, many people would have insisted that internal combustion engines were on the way out and electric or alternative fuel cars would dominate the roads by now, and that the oil industry was a dying field------yeah RIGHT. :nener:

computer programming was going to be the profession to be in......................NOT unless you live in India and like 8$ an hour :bang:

Top Bottom