RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
Seems like almost everyone that owns either is very happy with them but I can't find very much information about the Gaerne's safety. The most I have found is "Wish bone exoskeleton". I'm convinced the Oxtar design is a very protective design but reports suggest they squeak alot which might drive me nuts. I'll accept the noise for the protection but if the silent Gaernes protect just as well......

How does the Gaerne hinge attach? It looks as if it just attaches to the leather in pictures. If that is the case it doesn't seem very strong. I don't think the SG10 has hyper-extension stops like the Oxtar either does it?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How does the Gaerne hinge attach? It looks as if it just attaches to the leather in pictures. If that is the case it doesn't seem very strong. I don't think the SG10 has hyper-extension stops like the Oxtar either does it?

Two problems answering your questions, 1) The new SG10 hasn't been out very long, how many people have them? 2) Same thing with the Oxtar (number of folks wearing them).

I'd like to get my hands on a set of the SG10's to check them out, they make a great boot.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'll try to get a better look at LazyBoy's SG-10's when he get's back from the track today. There is another thread floating around here on the SG-10's which includes a link to a review on Transworldmx.com. They rated the SG-10's as a 10 and the best boot/protection on the market currently.

RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
In second picture of the Transworld Article it shows the hinge system open. From that pic it appears the Gaerne does not have any hyperextension protection.

Transworld also has a small Article on the Oxtars but it isn't a review like they did with the SG10.

DARN IT!! I didn't want a squeaky boot :bang: but looks like I'm getting one ..... squeaks are better than broken ankles anyday.

RM_Dude

Jul 16, 2001
Okiewan said:
So.. all the boots without special pivoting ankles = broken ankles? :ohmy:

Maybe I could wear flip-flops and not break anything but I'll pass on testing them :) Boots need more ankle protection than just leather IMO. I am currently using Tech8s with Allsport Dynamics ankle braces which I think are pretty good for not rolling your ankle. Since I'm ready for new boots I figure why not lower the time needed to suit up and buy some boots with the ankle protection built in and get rid of the braces not to mention SIDI or Oxtar would add hyperextension protection. I wouldn't wear Aplinestar Tech 8s at all without the Allsport braces but rumors say the currently under development Tech 10 will have a hinge so I may be looking at those for my next boot purchase.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
RM, I have to say, I've got pretty "jacked up" ankles, with ligaments torn so many times they dislocated running down stairs.

I wore Tech 8s for 4 years without any ankle problems (and no braces). I do wear ankle braces in my trials boots because I simply cannot ride without them and walk comfortably afterwards.

Although the soles on the Alps is crap, the boot and support was exceptional as far as I was concerned. I'm now wearing Sidis and really like them too, but wouldn't discount the Tech 8s ankle protection.

Top Bottom