My review of new Oxtars and Gaernes

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
My new pair of Oxtar TCX Pros showed up today, and I thought I’d do a little review, as when I was boot shopping, I couldn’t find much info on them. My friend just got a new pair of Gaerne SG 10s. Prior to getting these boots, we were both wearing Thor T-30s, both size 12. Neither of us has had the chance to ride in the new boots yet, so I’ll follow up on this review in a few weeks.

Let me say first, both of these boots (again, not yet used), I would rate a 10 out of 10 right out of the box. I have read that the Oxtar runs small, and that seems true, as my Oxtar 13 feels just like his Gaerne 12. I have tiny calves and he has huge calves, and both boots seem to adjust to both of us well, so that seems to be a non-issue. I have a narrow foot, and the Oxtar seems to fit me a bit better. He has a wide foot, and the SG-10 seems to fit him a bit better. Again, we could each make due with either boot, but nonetheless, they do fit a little different in this regard.

Use in deep water? We’ll not know until we sink them, but here’s what I can tell now. The overall height of the Oxtar is barely taller than the SG-10, but the gaiter is almost 2" taller in the Oxtar. It would be my guess it will resist flooding a little better. On the downside, the external “exo-skeleton” looks like it will trap and hold mud. This is a non-issue with the SG-10. It will make it harder to clean, and being a tight wad, I do plan to take good care of a $300 boot.

I like the sole of the Oxtar a little better than the SG-10. It has a nicely cleated sole, and looks like it will keep me upright more so than the SG-10. (we trail ride only) I will say the buckles are better on the SG-10. Overall both boots buckle the same, but the SG-10 has smoother operating buckles. Both boots seem like the buckles and straps will stay where you put them.

I have heard that the Oxtars squeak. Mine do not. Both brand of boots seem to offer very good ankle protection. They both use dual compound soles. I think the Oxtars are the tiniest bit more comfy. I’m picking at hairs here. Both feel great. The booties just feel good and cooshie. I was worried that the bootie would be a pain to deal with. It is not. Might even be good to walk around the truck in. One bootie is slimmer than the other. I plan to contact Oxtar over the matter, so I guess I’ll get to review their customer service later on.

I would highly recommend either at this point- a decision based on foot width and styling preference. As for style, it’s a toss up. Both are very cool looking. I did quite a bit of research prior to shelling out my money. I never was interested in A-stars. Lots of folks don’t like them on the web, (yes I know a lot do). Seems like they are a marketing power house. I nearly bought some Sidi Vortex Evos, but end the end am a sucker for the hinged and “exo” styles. Plus, I could find very little poor feedback on the SG-10 or the Oxtar.

If you want some SG-10's, they have proven to have perhaps the best track record (based on on-line owner feedback). If you want something different, but are hesitant to go with the lesser known Oxtar, don’t be. I couldn’t be happier with my TCX Pros. Top notch.

Again, I’ll update this thread in a few weeks.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
mnnthbx.

I have a size 12EEE, and have a hard time finding boots for a wide foot. The Oneal Hardware's size 13 were a good fit in a mid-range boot. I found the A-Star T-8's to be too narrow. I want more protection and will give the SG-10 a try for next year. By the way, what is your buddies foot width?

Thanks, Steve.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Well, I got a short day on the boots today. I rode a MX track for ½ a day. I should stay in the woods and off the tracks, but that’s another issue. The Oxtars are so comfy. I had read of break in being tuff on these boots, but that’s not been the case. They are as soft out of the box as my T-30s were after two years.

They do squeak now, but I could care less. Perhaps that will draw attention to how cool they look. At the end of the day, I could tell the soles had seen pegs, but little more. The buds SG-10s showed nothing at all. After I sink these beauties in the woods, I’ll know a bit more about their waterproofness.

Top Bottom