matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
I am wondering how far down the road before Gas-Gas Will be as big as KTM. I mean they put out a really nice bike. I think alot of people just dont realize how trick there bikes are stock. I have been thinking of a new bike for a few months now and I am really thinking of purchaseing a Gas-Gas. Well I hope I did not offend any one seeya on the trails

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I doubt they ever will be.. Gas Gas bikes are hand-built, and don't have the capabilities of producing as many bikes as KTM, for example, without dropping the hand-built care and attention which is one of their greatest selling features.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
If you are thinking of a Gas Gas for trail riding, I recommend the EC300. These bikes are awesome! I plan on getting one in the next couple weeks.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Cam, did you ever see a photo of the GasGas factory? Brandnew, huge and ultra-modern! And the bikes aren't "handbuilt" anymore than a Honda is handbuilt.
The bikes may still be exotic in the US and Canada, but here in europe they are a serious competitor in the enduro market and the leader in the trials market.
Here in Germany they sold their first models in '94 (250s, 125s and 80s with TM engines). Nobody ever heard of that company then and now they are number two on the enduro-market! In Belgium they sell lots of bikes, maybe even more than KTM!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, the guy that owns the bike I am going to buy, already replaced the main bearing after it siezed. I will ask him if he replaced it with the high speed bearings. Can you provide more info on this problem?

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Gas Gas' are very popular here in Australia, but KTM's are far more common. Looking at the new Gas', im pretty interested and they sure are full of trick bits. The welds on the frame seem to be pretty average though.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by agitt73
the 99's have main bearing problems the fix is to switch to high speed
bearings
:think: Nothing like a little useless information posted on the net to make everyone nervous. I know several people that own, or owned, '99 GG's and none of them ever experienced a main bearing failure!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Woods,
It was the muffler bearings on the 99 models that were bad. :confused:

Now that GG has their own distribution facility I feel they will be able to sell more bikes and create more dealerships. KTM (penton) started the same way years ago.

Mully

RMrider

~SPONSOR~
Jun 18, 2001
Gas Gas' are great bikes. I hope they start to catch on more here in the U.S. I'm not sure how the dealer network is elsewhere but we have an awesome dealer here in Springfield. My next bike is going to be another KTM (01 200EXC) but after that I think I will finally be steping up to a GG. Regardless of which model GG you choose get the ltr jet kit. My friend installed it in his 99 ec250 and WOW! The thing pulls like a 300 down low now. Just A little bit of money very well spent.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
No offense Boozer but with all the important components that make up these, or any, high quality modern bikes, I don't know why people seem to comment on how the welds look. It's the furthest thing from my mind.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
1. The gasgas frame is nickel plated. This amplifies imperfections in the welds due to the reflective nature of the nickel plating. So until that KTM frame comes nickel plated - don't compare the welds between the two!

2. Both parts pricing and bike pricing have come way down in '03 for the gasgas. So, in terms of "stepping up" to a gasgas -> it is a step up, but not in price.

3. Prices have come down for '03 (both bikes and parts); WP forks are standard -> Ohlins forks are now only approx $500.00 extra. So the only bikes you can get with ohlins forks from mfg are now cannondale, gasgas and tm...

jeff
'01 GasGas ec300 (ohlins forks!)
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
the bearing thing was in the mag's about a year ago but i dont
remember which one also on a g-g web site

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by agitt73
the bearing thing was in the mag's about a year ago but i dont
remember which one also on a g-g web site
There's your whole problem, you read those overpriced useless excuses for toilet paper and take it as gospel. Can't remember any GG site (and I've visited all of them) ever claiming there was a problem with the main bearings on the '99 bikes. I do know of three people that had premature main bearing failures on '00 and '01 bikes. None of them could pinpoint the exact cause of the failure. There are also a lot more riders out there on '00 and '01 bikes that haven't experienced a main bearing failure. Now any main bearing failure on a '99 or older bike is due to wear not a faulty bearing.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I love my katoom but gotta admit that the last time I bought (2002) I looked very hard at the GasGas stuff. Can't say that I was any less impressed with the machinery then with what KTM puts out, in some respects the GasGas product was more impressive. For me it boiled down to dealer and the fact that I really wanted a 4 stroke. At the time the GasGas dealer I was talking with had no idea of when he would have a GG 400 4 stroke and didn't know a whole about it. Had I have been in the market for a 2 stroke there is a very high probability that it would've been a GG. When I buy a new steed in 04 I will definitely give GG another look, truly good stuff!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I owned a 01' GG 250XC, very reliable and most important to me was the overall handling and ergonomics of the bike that that won me over(the best handling 2 stroke woods bike I've ridden, period). Currently
i'm looking at a 01 300xc as a buddy/back up bike. :)

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I own an '01 XC 250. With the LTR jetting and power valve cover I can lug my 240lb butt through the woods pretty easy. But beware what is in front of thee when thou twisteth thine thottle. I owned a KTM 300 EXC prior. The GG out turns the KTM hands down and feels way more flickable. Only complaint was the anti-theft device installed to look like a kick stand, which was removed after it took a sample of my DNA.

Things that went bad since April 2001 were:
Handle bars - oops! my fault
kickstarter stop - no big deal - $20

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I have not had ONE mechanical failure with either of my '99s.

Well now that we have the toilet paper issue behind us.... :uh:

&nbsp;

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
a buddy of mines (99) mains went out and a dealer told him they
had problems with them also probly evan your dealer OFFROADR
HALL'S HUSKYS

Top Bottom