Gas Gas will not idle in gear.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
My 99 EC300 will not idle when it is in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running, or it will die very quickly. I have the idle scre turned way up, and it idle's fine in neutral, but as soon as I click it down into gear, the RPM's start to fall, until it just dies. This is very annoying while going down steep downhills! This is my first hydro clutch, and I have no idea how to adjust it, if this is even the problem. I have fresh BelRay gear saver 80w in right now.

Thanks for any info.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The gasgas clutch tends to drag a wee bit, but your situation can be improved...

1. Bel-ray 80W is too thick - go to 10W40 castrol mtx or Amsoil 4 stroke 0W40. Check out the oil article on smackover (written by eric kangas). I remember seeing a number of reviews of folks using the bel-ray in the gasgas - all were very negative.

2. The stalling is also caused by jetting "issues" - I think you know what my recommendation is here - so I won't even say it....

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Riders Club

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Another oil that is relatively new on the market is the new chevron delo-400 synthetic. It is made for gearboxes (has anti-foam agents and zinc additives) and I think is available in a 0W30 and a 5W40 weight. Either one would probably work very well and probably cost less than some of the alternatives (the castrol mtx is *very* good but costs $7-$8 dollars u.s. per quart).

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Thanks, I will deffunalty try a different oil. And I plan on ordering the LT jet kit when I have some money. It works out to nearly $60 Canadian! Im sure it works great, but $60 for a needle and a few jets is a little steep.

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
If you want the LTR jetting kit there are a bunch of us ordering them and the side chamber .If you want to add yours to our order and it should bring it down to $49 and that would be after the shipping charges and everything .

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Thanks T-Bone, but I think Im going to wait on getting the jet kit for now. I have a lot of other things that need my attention right now money wise.

bailey34

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2002
Check to make sure your reeds are not stuck open, cracked, chipped or anything but flat. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the reeds. The bike wouldn't idle at all without the idle screw truned all the way in.

Another side effect you didn't metion, but also may be happening is fouled plugs.

Is your idle set too low? Does this only happen when your bike (and oil) is cold?

More things to investigate and think about.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The reeds are perfect. I just rebuilt the top end and the reeds looked in perfect condition. It happens when the bike is hot, I don't ride it until it is completly warmed up. The idle is turned way up. When I am stopped and in neutral, it idle's strong, but as soon as I click it in gear, the revs slowely start to die until it eventually stalls out.

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
This is just a thought but could your clutch basket be woren.If it was it would catch your plates and create a resistance while in gear and that would intern stop your bike from idling. Do you find you bike wanting to move forward when you put it in gear when its cold ?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
It actually crawls forward when I put it in gear when it is hot. Like after taking a short break, it creeps when I start it in gear, or click it from neutral into gear.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
My 2 cents say's to look into clutch dept. If it idles in neutral no problem,but stalls out once it's in gear-something is grabbing when you don't want it to.Good luck.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
None of the Gas Gas bikes I owned would sit and idle in gear. Even when new.
I always had to keep the throttle going when stopping for checks or slowing down for turns with the clutch pulled in.

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
I Have an 03 EC250 and have the same problem.I am running the LTR kit. I have adjusted the clutch a bunch. I just learn to live with it.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Well I bled out the old fluid and put some new stuff in and it seems to work fine. Just riding around my yard, when I pull the clutch in when it is in gear, the revs drop, but it dosn't stall. The old fluid was really black, so maybe that was the problem, or it just needed to be bled. I will have to see if it really works out on the trail this weekend.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The gasgas is really finicky about the oil you are running too. Eric Kangas wrote up a great article where he tested different oils. You can find it archived away at...

http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/html/tranny_oil.htm

BTW, the previous gasgas importer recommended spectro 80W, this is equivalent to a 20W motor oil and is too thick. GasGas factory recommends 10W oil. Eric's report confirms this - his best results were with castrol 10W30 mtx and amsoil 0W40.

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I'd like to try the Castrol MTX or Amsoil in my wife's XC200, but I can't find either oil anywhere in my area. I think online purchasing would be the only way for us. The Castrol seems to be quite expensive, something like $8.18 a bottle, at least from the online sources I've seen. No idea about the Amsoil.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bob you might check with a few local shops, Amsoil is getting more of a following now that they are a SX/MX sponsor and some places are stocking it. If not you can order direct off their web site or through a "dealer". If you end up liking the product it might pay to become a dealer or preferred customer for an annual fee and get a discount from them. A little secret from my KTM days is that both Type-F ATF and Amsoil Powershift ATF (for HD equipment) are VERY effective at elimination of this problem you have AND provide excellent protection. If you'd like to try the Amsoil Powershift let me know I think I have a few bottles in my shop from my 2 stroke days.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks Patman, I appreciate it! I believe there's one shop not far from me that carries Amsoil products, so I'll check with them first. If not, I'll shoot you an e-mail and take you up on your offer.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've had good luck using a 50/50 mix of Type F ATF and 10W-30 motor oil and keeping the clutch fluid fresh. Change the oil every 100 miles and bleed the clutch before each ride.

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
You bleed the clutch before every ride? I know my bike won't start in gear , maybe I should try bleeding the clutch. I havn't done it in a months

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Update: I stopped using the BelRay 80wt, and tried some Yamalube 10W30 Transmission oil. This stuff works great. My bike idles in gear, hot, cold, everywhere. Not to mention the price is right too.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
My bike began to do the same thing as what yours does, or did. I bled the clutch which didn't help, turns out the steel clutch plates were warped. A new clutch pack took care of the problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom