Getting tire tube valve stem through hole on rim

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
I have no problem getting tires on and off rims, my problem is getting the tube valve stem through the hole when mounting the tire. This seems to be a real knuckle buster at times. I'm reluctant to put something in the hole to guide the stem through for fear of puncturing the tube.
What I tried this weekend while mounting a 110/90-19 rear tire was to thread a piece of fishing line through the hole in the rim, tie it to the end of the valve stem, then pull it back through the hole in the rim. After the valve stem was through the hole, I could cut the fishing line off the stem.

What methods do you use to get the stem through the rim?
Seems there should be an easier method to this task.
Your thoughts?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
That sounds like a good idea. Where were you last week?? I would just pry the tire up and get my habds behind it until it poked through. When it does I just put a valve cap on it. The fishing line sounds good. This has always been a problem for me also

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
This is one of my best kept secrets, but as you ride RED I'll share it with you.

Go to an auto parts store such as Pep Boys or NAPA and find the tire accessories part (sometimes this tool is with the other special stuff on the rotating displays). You are looking for a 6" approx coiledspringwire tool in the shape of a "T" - on one end is a "cap" which screws to the valve core, on the other end is a valve remover/air letter-outer which is about 1" long and forms the top of the "T".

Use the tool as you did the fishing line - poke it through the valve hole from the hub side and screw it on to the valve then pull the valve through the hole - takes less time to do than it does to explain it.

This tool seems to only work with Hondas as they have the big hole in the rim for the valve.

You'll never believe how easy it is.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
The inside of the stem has a thread for the valve, I once saw a tyre fitter use a braided wire with a kind of threaded section on the end. Used pretty much like the fishing line although the thread makes for a firmer connection.
Dont have the wire myself, so, red face, dripping sweat and scraped knuckle method for me!!!
Yet another opportunity to hear " Is it in yet?"

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
...You are looking for a 6" approx coiled springwire tool in the shape of a "T" - on one end is a "cap" which screws to the valve core...

Thanks Kiwi!

I saw the item in Pep Boys but didn't think it would fit through the rim hole so I didn't get one. :o

Now that you have confirmed that it will fit, I'm off to the store!
Thanks again!

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I drill the valve stem hole in the rim out a little larger. Makes it much easier to install the valve stem that way.:)

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
If you look.....

You can find a tool like you described with one end of the 'T' threaded to fit where the valve core screws, you have to remove the core first, then screw the tool in to the stem and pull thru the hole. But... I just muscle it with my fingers.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the way I do that is to just set one bead on the rim and then take an iron and prop the bead up behind where the valve stem goes. That way when you tug on the loose edge of the tire it doesn't come up into the rim to block the valve stem hole. Seems to work well for me :)

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
I know that tire changing is a job based predominantly on brawn, but i just use a little cordination and finesse "to get my stem through the hole" ("thats what he said :) ")

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by smb_racing
the way I do that is to just set one bead on the rim and then take an iron and prop the bead up behind where the valve stem goes.

smb, Are you talking about putting a tire iron on the opposite side of the wheel and proping up the bead like you were going to take the tire off the other side? That way when you pull on the loose edge the opposite side doesn't cover the hole.... Is that it?

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Yeah Mike, I think thats what smb meant.
Thats how I usually do it, still a hassle but it opens the tire up a bit so it's not so cramped in there and as mentioned pulls the opposite bead outta the way. I try and hook the iron on a spoke ( I dont have three hands ) then use one hand to lift the bead, the other to insert the stem.
Good luck,
Peter.

Top Bottom