D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I just bought a new 2002 CR250. I'm gonna strip it, grease it, and off-roadize it for trail riding and hare scrambles.

What do I need to look out for or fix? Airbox boot seal?

Is there a better/quieter spark arrestor silencer available than the FMF Q?

I hear the Mikuni is finicky. I happen to have a 38mm (I think) Keihin laying around; would it be a better choice?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by G92Joe
Faded,
How does your 02 cr265 power compare to 03 yz250 or a crf450? kx310?
Thanks.

It dominates ALL.
J/K :)

03 YZ250 - dunno, haven't rode one, don't know anyone with one.
KX310 - see above (sorry...no one out here has these bikes, they buy 500s)
CRF450 - Its definately closer to being on the same level now. Mine isn't 100% dialed in, but it's getting there. I might make more peak power, but the CRF's power is spread out so far that it makes it a hard bike to keep up with (at least with me twisting the throttle).

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
Is there room to get more power out of your 265? i.e. porting, pipe, jetting?
I had a CRF, but prefer 2-stroke handling, but need more power for sand riding ... maybe stroking the crank w/the overbore to get 280cc ?

rramsey

Sep 24, 2002
What kind of deal did you get? Im looking at a leftover 02 cr250 at a local dealer, trying to get a deal.

I know mx bikes are not really under any kind of warranty, what is it...like 30 days? Would it cover the airbox issue at all??

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
G92Joe,
Definately. It's ported (Mo Betta), but I run the stock pipe/silencer and reeds. I still need to work on the jetting, so there is more to be had. Before all this I felt it did great in the sand, I had no problems at all. Of course I only weigh 160lbs to, so that could have something to do with it. My comparison w/the 450 is only on a super tight track. I still have the 48 tooth rear, but if I went to a 50 (same as the 450) and cleaned up the jetting then I'm sure I'd have an easier time matching (maybe beating) the 450's lap times. Go find Smarttoys and ask him about his CR280 if you think that route appeals to you.

D36-108A, a 50 or a 51 would be great for what you want. The 48 is just a little too tall for technical stuff IMO.

rramsey, If you ask the Honda dealer to 'fix' your air box all they'll do is dissasemble the air box then reassemble it with silicon type stuff (Honda lock or something like that, it doesn't break down when it contacts fuel vapors like regular silicon) and then they'll send you on your way. I had the PC Racing Pro-seal and now the MX-Bonz kit. I would strongly recommend the MX-Bonz kit over anything I've seen, it gets the job done right.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
faded, I'm pretty sure mine has a 49 rear stock.

rramsey, $5531 out the door with 8.5% tax plus registration fees. (Somewhere around $5000 even selling price?) They applied the $200 Honda bonus bucks to the price. It looks like they sold it at cost and are getting the $200 from Honda in profit. The Berkeley dealer asked $4995 for an 03. The Auburn dealer quoted $5600 out the door for an 02. I was shocked the Oakland dealer actually beat that after asking $5895 for the 02.

I'd expect a better deal outside Caliban-controlled territory. I've seen them advertised at $4700 or so in SoCal and WA state. I called around Nevada and SoCal, finally expecting to drive to Auburn. I ended up getting it in my backyard.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
try lacyclesport in hollywood, they will give you an OTD by email. other than, avoid south so cal- we had 02crf's for $8500 in san diego when they first came out!

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
stock rear on a 2002 cr250 is a 48.the s-nozzle really helps the carb if you are having trouble dialing it in at closed to 1/2 throttle.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
jho

I just bought my 2002 CR250 for $3,750 in February. I was feeling sorry for the guy I bought it from that paid over 5k out the door last summer, but not sorry enough to give him more.

I don't think I will ever buy another new one. For the 2k in savings I can really trick this one out, it was bone stock. I've already spent around $500 for Tag T2's, mounts, sprocket and chain, tires, and graphics. Next on my hit list is a pipe/silencer.

I don't know if I would buy anything more than a year old though. That first year seems to be the killer, or at least around here it is. Used 2002's go for $3,500 to $4,000 and used 2001's go for $3,000 and up. So you lose almost 2k that first year and around $750 the second.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I bought new with the intention of keeping it for a long time. I don't know how well it's going to work out, but I like my bike enough that I plan on keeping it at least 3 more years if not longer.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
IMHO, if your keeping a bike for a while, it makes sense to buy new. I am not as disciplined when trying to curb my spending so I end up getting something different every year. Half the fun of riding is building a bike!

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Well, wish I'd known you were looking for an '02 - though your '97 is just fine, even if it is red (j/k).

02'Cr Rider has a low-hour one f/s, if anyone is looking for one, PM him.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I was looking for new, not used. Gonna keep it forever (or until the green sticker regs change in my favor) like I thought I was gonna keep my 97 forever.

Used 02 for $3750-4000?!?!? I would think I've seriously overpriced my 97. However, the California 97s are going for around $3000 in CycleTrader.

On the 02 gearing, 48 is indeed spec'd on the rear. I just thought I saw a 49 on mine. I think I'll just move the 13/50 sprockets and o-ring from my 97. Any problems with a wide o-ring chain wearing the 02's case or guides?

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I just bought a 00 cr 250 for $2700. I know you guys are going to say it's too old, but this thing runs like a raped ape!! Everything I can think of is done to it! PC pipe and silencer, boysen power valve cover, tag triple clamp, pro tapers, fresh plastic, new tires, accel rims, fredette chain guide, ims pegs, I can't even remember it all w/o it sitting in front of me! The guy even gave me a pair of shift pants, a pair of no fear pants, three jerseys, a bell helmet, a crappy chest protector! All of this stuff is like brand new! I can honestly say I never have and never will buy a brand new bike. Right before I bought this bike I looked at a brand new 01 cr250 at alocal dealership, he was asking $5899 for it !!! My buddy said he asked $5399 for an 03!!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
It's not too old, I came off of a 98 before my 02. I guess the 00 motor tore it up. :aj: Congrats on your new purchase, sounds like a swingin' deal! If you have the chance, ride an 02 or 03 CR and compare the chassis/suspension to your 00. That might help sway your opinion of never wanting a new bike, maybe not.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I don't personally believe this part but the guy who sold me this bike tells me the suspension was done by A-Ride. The guy who did the suspension supposedly is now with factory Yamaha and Vullimens(SP). Like I said I don't really believe this. But I do have to say it's the best suspension I've ever had, but that's not saying alot. Ive had some real pieces of crap!!

Top Bottom