john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i would never buy used who knows what you will get my buddy just bought a 2001 yz125 and it looked mint but after tearing it apart it needed all suspension bearings (they were seized and rusted) and the cyl looked all scratched up like dirt was getting in there and the clutch basket is all notched the bike needs a lot of work after all is done it will be close to the same price as a new 2003 yz125 the guy who sold it kept the out side of the bike spotless it looked mint but he must have never done anything to this bike except wash it there was more wrong with the bike but i forget

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
John

That is why you always look very closely at used bikes. Anybody can put new plastic and graphics on to make the outside look good. If the guy has a problem with you taking a few bolts off, the seat off to look at the airbox, or let a little tranny fluid out, then just walk away.

One other thing, I usually don't spring it on the guy until I am face to face. I know it is a waste of time to drive and look and then ask. However, if you tell the guy on the phone beforehand he will just clean the filter, and change the oil. I take my own tools and stand and take things off and put them back on for the guy. If they have a problem with you inspecting it just say thanks and walk away. If you check it thouroughly you should have no problems with a year old bike.

Now buying something older than that is a different story. I usually buy one year old or less and no more. Like I said earlier, the savings for a two year old bike aren't worth the hassle. At least it's not to me.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have had excellent luck with used bikes. You have to look for any little thing that might be wrong. My 99 CR250 cost me $1900 last year. After fixing a few minor problems and buying some mods, I'm still only into it $2800. About half the price of a new bike. For the riding that I do, it's perfect for me. But, I don't mind tearing the bike down to fix things. I enjoy that almost as much as riding. I said Almost!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I ordered a Fastway CR450 ring.... are you sure it works on the CR250 too?

Here's my bike yesterday:
NewCR_rear.JPG

The swingarm and linkage bearings all were greased OK, but I greased the dry pivot bolts and applied anti-seize to the threads so I can take everything apart easily next time.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by D36-108A
I ordered a Fastway CR450 ring.... are you sure it works on the CR250 too?

:eek: Not positive, but I've heard from others that it does. If it's a bunch of heresay I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth and send you $1.49 + tax/shipping and take it off your hands.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I finally got to put some break-in time on it, on a bone-dry MX track. :( The 1997 motor puts it to shame, for my needs (enduro-electric smooth powerband). It seems fat on the bottom but runs like a scalded cat mid-top and it never did fall off the pipe. I guess I'll have to break out the Mikuni jets to get it to run cleanly. :(

For whom did they set up the rear suspension preload? I'm over 180 pounds with gear and it only had 75mm of sag. Do they use 250-pound test riders now?

My sprocket didn't come off so I guess that Fastyway spacer ring fit. :)

Top Bottom