thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
gray oilish stuff

I just bought a 1985 cr125 a couple nights ago and got it to run. BUt there is a few problems with it. One beings out of an over flow tube it seems to get i think it goes to the carb a grayish oily stuff comes out what it this??? thanks I really need the help

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
oh yeah it is kinda thick but how do I fix this I need to now because I am going to ride this saturday. thanks alot for an help

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Gray oily stuff is usually water mixed with oil. It may be coming out of your radiator overflow tube. Sometimes, it can happen when the water pump seal blows and water and oil start mixing. Look under your radiator cap and see if there is more of this stuff floating at the top of your radiator. Drain your oil and see it there is any in there too.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Or it just might be normal clutch wear. Change the oil and run the bike gently. Change the oil...is it still gray? If yes, you might have a water leak.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Drain all the fluids. See if there is oil in the coolant and/or coolant in the oil. The oil may have a metallic gray tint due to the clutch wear (depending on how long the oil has been in there). Replace all the fluids if everying looks ok. You should do this with a "new to you" bike anyway, b/c who knows what the previous owner's maintenance schedule was like.

I doubt it is the waterpump seal, as this would tend to just leak coolant out of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. You wouldn't get a whole lot of mixture between coolant and oil. You would lose all of your coolant and overheat first.

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
How do I change these things and what type of fluids and oil do I use??? thanks for all the great help you people have given me

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
I know I posted one like this before but now I have more detail. On my 1985 cr125 I have a problem. When I ride my bike I notice a big drops of gray oil comes out when the engine is hot or after a ride. I followed where it seems to becoming from and it looks to be an overflow tube on the carb. I am not postive but i think. I just want to know how to fix cause I am tired or wiping it up off the floor and will is mess out my bike. Thank you very much for any help you have gave or or can give me

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
1985 cr125 gray oil leaking

First off I do know I posted one like this already but I need help and got more details. Well my 86 cr125 leaks this kinda thick oil substance and it seemd to come out of one of my carb over flow tubes. I am not postive that is where it is coming from but pretty sure and it happens when bike heats but and when its off but still hot. I want to know how to fix and will it hurt to ride like this??? I am tired of cleans this stuff off my floor. Thanks for any help

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Will it hurt the bike...it might.

If the oil is gray, it needs to be changed, period. Warm the bike up by riding it (idling will do nothing for the transmission fluid) and drain the oil from the bottom drain bolt. Refill at the oil fill hole on the right side of the engine case with the proper amount (you're on your own there).

Ride the bike for an hour and check the color of the oil agian.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
You shouldn't have grey oil coming from your carb (the only oil in your carb is from the pre-mix). Retrace the vent hose and make sure it isn't coming from the powervalve or another vent hose coming from the engine. Black "spooge" coming from a vent hose from the powervalve or lower end hose is somewhat normal (however it may indicate a rich jetting condition)

Do you have a manual for your bike? If not, try to find one. First step is to drain all the fluids and see what they look like. Don't be afraid to do it b/c you will need to do this as periodic maintenance anyway. After replacing the fluids, ride it for a while and see if anything is leaking and then re-drain the fluids and see if they look any different than they did when they went in. Your oil capacity should be on the side of the case next to the fill hole, but if not you will need to consult your manual.

I'm betting it is just spooge from a rich condition. The spooge should be black though.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
That's normal for 2stroke motors in particular the older honda cr's, I wouldn't worry about it...just ride the bike and have fun. Hope this helps, good luck with it....

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
Follow up: I looked really har and it comes from the tranny over flow. Well I noticed I was low on coolent and then I looked at the tranny fluid and the coolent mixed. So what do I got to do to get it back on the trails???? thanks and is it hard to do??

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Oh, so Shig isn't so stupid after all :bang:

Hey Thers,
I wouldn't ride the bike until you fix it. You are looking at about $20 in parts for new seals, but it will cost alot more to have a shop fix it. Its not a really hard job, but you should surf the web to find instructions on how to do it.

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone know where I can find the parts or how to put them in I could not find anything. So I would really like any help I can get.

B

biglou

There should be a coolant line going into a housing on the right side of the engine, up front. 3-4 8mm bolt heads to take it off. I think it is self-explanitory from there. Get your new seals and it should be a 30-40 minute job max. Do you have a digital camera? If you take a decent pic of your engine's right side, email it to me, biglou at dirtrider.net and I'll post it. Plenty of people to help you out if you need it. Would make a good tutorial to post, also, so others can see what's involved.

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
soory about asking all these questions I am new at this was exatly are the coolent seals called so when I go to my honda dealer I dont look dumb like i really am. So can I get some more help thanks

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I am not convinced that it is the seals. I had this problem with my bike and it turned out to be a hole in the water pump itself. You right hand crank case cover holds the water pump. It is also where the kick starter comes from. In the water pump there is a water seal to stop water leaking. Then there is a small air filled chamber with a small weep hole. Then there is an oil seal cause on the inside of this cover is the transmission and oil.
The weep hole indicates how the seals are. If coolant leaks from this hole the water seal is busted or oil dripping indicates a busted oil seal. For coolant to get to the transmission this way it must pass the water seal then fill the weep chamber and pass the oil seal. This is not likely. A hole in an inside part of the water pump will allow coolant straight into the transmission. This is more likely your problem.

Hope this helps

UTS

thers50fox

Nov 15, 2004
I need all the help I can get well the bike did sit for 1or2 years only being started 2 times in 2 years. So is is hard to put in the water pump and the new seals??? How much will this cost????thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom