Guys, I need some advice (kind of long)>>

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I have a brand new '01 KDX 200 with 32 yard ridden miles. I bought the bike off a 22 year old kid last fall who needed college money, it had 14 yard ridden miles. This bike could be put on a showroom floor with a change of graphics and you couldn't tell it from a current model. Two days after I bought it I blew my back up, so I've never had it in the woods. This bike hasn't needed washed since it was bought new at the dealer, that's how clean it is. I've been at this forum since I bought it, picking up all the hot set ups, tips etc. I had back surgery 1 month ago and my back is feeling really good, even though I haven't even started therapy. My problem is that I am an A level rider, used to run pro in moto, money class in hare scrambles, etc. I'm not trying to brag just giving info. I'm 6' 2'' 220 lbs. and I'm seeing all the mods and money everyone is spending and wondering if maybe I won't be happy with the KDX, maybe I should get a KTM or something like that, that has the equipment stock., because I still like to get through the woods pretty quick. I know Fredette rode one but he's more of an exception. I kind of hate riding the bike and taking value from it, then finding it's not quite for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry so long.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I'd modify it. Any mods you put on the bike are certainly not going to diminish its value. At the very least you should look at revalving and respring the stock suspension. A KX front end swap wouldn't be a bad option either. I'd look at a Rev pipe, RB-carb mod and Delta Force 2. Might also consider a Head mod as well. If you change your mind and are not satisfied there shouldn't be any problems unloading the bike. Shoot you can even use the RB carb on a KTM.

-Maurice

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Jake:

Although orange dominates at any offroad event - there are a number of green bikes in the A and B classes. These are not highly modded bikes but usually have the typical mods deiscussed adnuseum here.

If you are going to be riding at that level again - then cut your losses and get something exotic. if you want a great bike that can be tailored to just about any riding skill - keep the KDX.

I am guessing you stole the thing in the firtst place (not literally) - so think of them as free upgrades.

Sean

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Heal up first. Check the tech section and related threads. Most of the riders do the same mods. Airbox,jetting,pipe/muffler,gearing,suspension,and how ever much money you want to spend. Ride it a few times stock then one mod at time. Those KTMs will suck just as much cash as any other bike. Remember to ask questions. Good luck with your back.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Nothing can be more satifying than crafting a machine to your particular needs. As you heal and demand more performance from the KDX, it will be there waiting for you to discover the potential. With the KTM, it might beat you down and discourage you from riding based on it's very demanding nature for you to perform for it to perform.
Besides, look at the support team you have here at DRN with the KDX. And when you start passing KTM riders on it, they will think you are an awesome rider "stuck" on a mediocre bike. Only we will know that you really have a secret weapon and a research team of hundreds backing and supporting you.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
If it were me, I'd lurk a bit on the ktm forums. It sounds like you are basing some of your decision on things going on "in here" so it might be nice to go in there for a bit.

Also, Carv'r just rode one of the ktm's for awhile, he'd be a good duy to talk to.

I see what you are saying, though... buy the bike (ka-ching!) then mod it (ka-ching!) and end up with a nice, modded bike that's realized it's full potential. Or! buy the more expensive bike (ka-ching!) and maybe spend less overall by doing less mods... .and still have more potential to get out of the bike later on.

Wish I could give you better than that, but that's all the imput I have.

-Dawg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Jake,

First off, I'm nowhere near your skill level but what kind of riding do you want to do when you're healed up? Do you still want to ride MX or do heavy jumping? Just enduro and/or hare scrambles? It may be worth it to spend ~$200 for the right springs and set the race sag on the back to see if the basic handling rake/trail is what you want.

Also, you could ride the bike and think of any loss in value as rehabilitation therapy--get your riding skill back up on a bike that won't be as physically tiring as a more aggressive bike and then either sell or modify when you're ready.

I like Dawg's suggestion to poke around in the KTM forum or talk to CC too and get as much information as you can.

Best,
Greg

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies. They made me take a step back and think about what I am going to use the Kaw for. It will be mostly trailriding with my wife and kids, who mostly like to just chug along, and maybe racing 1-2 Harescrambles a month. It also made me remember two friends of mine, one on an open class KTM, one on an RM 250 who I could beat fairly easily. True story, and I forgot all about it. The guy with the KTM worked at a Kaw dealer so he bought a KDX and just started flying, we had some awesome battles for the overall at a few harescrambles. I was riding a modded KX 500 then and he told me to get rid of it and get a KDX, said it was the best bike he ever rode, fun and easy to go fast on. He wanted me to ride it, but I never did. My buddy with the RM did ride the KDX and bought one a week later and it was like his riding jumped up to a whole new level, he got seriously fast, and he also said it was the bike. He sold his RM and never looked back. Then yesterday my wife gave me a reality check, said the doc might just tell me no more dirtbikes, (I go see him on Wed.). So I guess I'm getting worked up over the whole deal too soon anyway. I'd like to say this is the coolest forum on the web, everyone is so helpful and friendly and the knowledge and tips are great, it IS like having a secret weapon. :aj: I've decided, I'm staying green! Thanks again guys! :worship: :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Knobbyjake said:
Then yesterday my wife gave me a reality check, said the doc might just tell me no more dirtbikes, (I go see him on Wed.). So I guess I'm getting worked up over the whole deal too soon anyway.

Don't give up so soon...my sister was in a nasty motorcycle accident on her streetbike. Broke her back in three places, now she's got two titanium rods, two cages and a bunch of screws holding her back together. The docs told her no riding till at least the summer and maybe not after that, but she's been on the bike and quad a bit. So I think you'll prob. be OK. Just give your self plenty of time to heal up and get re-aquainted with your back, bike and riding skills.

-Maurice

Top Bottom