ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I'm looking for opinions on a new, ultra-light, full-face helmet. I currently own a well-used AXO RX5 - Carbon Fiber/Kevlar/whatever else, that I love. But I really don't want to spend another $500 for a replacement (does AXO even makes these anymore?).

What's everyone wearing these days?

Last edited:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Ditto on the Arai VX-Pro. That has been the last 2 helmets I've worn. Had the Shoei VFX before, but didn't fit my head as well as the Arai. It is expensive, but when I.m riding I like to have the feel (of a helmet) as if there is nothing on my head. And that is exactly what the Srai feels like. If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet:p I'm sure that the KBCs and HJCs are really good helmets, and they are in a good price range:):D But they just don't feel that good on my nogin. And one thing I don't want to feel on my bike is uncomfortable:cool:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I have a fox pilot helmet its a nice light helmet and has as nice of features as some of more expensive ones. compared to my oneal sl 707 I had before it this helmet is a good 2 lbs lighter. I like this fox helmet alot the only thing that sucks is I lost the piece that locks the visor in place but that was my fault for not checking it to make sure it was tight.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I just bought on of thoses Axo carbon fiber helmets for around $300. Canadian so I would say you should be able to get a much better deal than $500. Our dollar isn't worth all that much theses days.

Cheers bake

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I like my HJC ACX1 helmet that's carbon fiber and kevlar.

You can get them for around $210.00 and they are 1/2 the weight of the CLX-3's and 4's. HJC makes a great helmet and why spend $500.00 on a helmet that after one crash you end up replacing.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I like Shoei VFX-R's. At the moment, you can get htem for around 250 or so on ebay brand new in the box. I just got one and it is perfect.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Just out of curiosity, do you guys get your helmets mailorder, (not trying them on first). Or do you buy them locally (try them on first)?

I bought a new helmet a while back, and was affraid to buy a helmet I couldn't try on first. Do you guys measure your heads and trust the size graphs that some show? Just wondering. I would hate to spend hundreds on a helmet that didn't fit well.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Fly carbon fiber. Could be the relationship between the name and my job though. ;)

I buy mine local. Of course I buy almost everything local.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
What can anybody tell me about the new Thor helmets? I'm figuring they can't be junk, but the price looks great.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I'll throw in another vote for the HJC AC-X1. I've been riding with mine for a year now and it is very light as well as comfortable. I have also found a web site (motofrugals) that sells them for $149.99 and I am not talking about the CLX version.

P.S. I took a pretty hard fall on mine awhile back. It really rung my bell it was about three days before I started feeling back to normal. Do I really have to get a new helmet. My head says yes but my pocket book says no its not that old.

Neal

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I wear a Thor SVS and just got my wife the SVX. I am impressed with both helmets, but I prefer the SVX. Found the SVX on closeout for $119. It has a fully removable liner, very light too.

Use the $400 saved to buy chest protector, knee/shin guards, new boots, pants, jersey, gloves, and a case of beer. ;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Monkey Butt
P.S. I took a pretty hard fall on mine awhile back. It really rung my bell it was about three days before I started feeling back to normal. Do I really have to get a new helmet. My head says yes but my pocket book says no its not that old.Neal
Listen to your head. The helmet won't protect you adequately in the next hard spill. Helmets are a one-time safety device. Once they are called upon to perform their one and only purpose, their life is over.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Monkey Butt, Spanky is right, don't take the chance, it's not worth it.

As far as new helmets go, my suggestion is to try on as many as you possibly can and buy the one that fits the best. Each manufacturer fits a little different, and lets face it, if it doesn't fit well, the best helmet in the world will not do the job as well as it should. My biggest pieve is with those buying helmets too large. They should fit snug, and remember, with time they pack out and get larger, so if it's a little snug in the store, it's probably the right size.

I have owned an Arai (fit excellent, and unfortunately "gave it's life for mine", at an age of 3 months), and now have a Shoei VXR (firmer fit, but excellent). Next....maybe HJC?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by spanky250 :
"Listen to your head. The helmet won't protect you adequately in the next hard spill. Helmets are a one-time safety device. Once they are called upon to perform their one and only purpose, their life is over."

Decidedly! Get a new one!
Light impacts might not be bad but,
Once the foam padding has compressed on an impact like you described, its usefull life is over.
It may feel o.k., but i bet it isnt!
Plus the outershell is probably stress cracked.
The next impact with the old helmet may be your last. :scream:
Do your family, friends, and yourself a favor.
Buy a new one.

Besides you didnt like the color of that old one anyways didja??;) :)

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I found another thread on this subject, which really shed some light on this subject. I was instantly convinced to get a new helmet, especially after inspecting the inner shell of my current helmet. It has large cracks and indentations all over. I am going to order another one just like it. I don't know a lot about the different brands but this HJC AC-X1 fits good, is light and reasonably cheap. Not to mention it saved me from a pretty good crash.

Neal

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Anyone tried to AGV helmets? They are really inexpensive and are Dot approved.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom