Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
Hi all ! this is my first post so be easy on me!:D let me start off saying that I'm a fairly new rider, I ride the trails & no racing, I have been in Cal, working for some time and got to ride my buddy spare 89 CR250 at CC camp in northern CA. I could handle the bike but it was a little tuff in the real tight stuff, so I was thinking of getting a WR or YZF, I rode my buddy 426 and I love it, but it was pretty fast, I was thinking of the WR400, I'm 5'8 and 175 any thoughts, I want a bike! Keith.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
If you are just play riding how bout a DRZ400E. The suspension is what I think is lacking on the bike. If you are just starting out you can't beat it, the power is smooth and controlable. Its got a button that you push and it starts right up. ;) I hear that the WR is getting an electric start to, but not this year. If yoiu plan on any MX I would think that the WR, YZF, KTM, or CR450 would be a better choice. If weight is a factor a KTM or CR450 would be a better chose. The DRZ rides light. The only time that you realy feel the weight is picking it up after dumping it or when riding realy agressive. If I'm correct the DRZ also has the lowest seat height. If price is the determing factor the DRZ would be hard to beat also. Its a decent bike that can be easily modified as your needs grow, if you want more power or better suspension. My best advice is to narrow it down to like three models ( be honest about the bike purpose and what you feel you need) Try out those models and pick what you want and search for the best deal. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Consider a KLX300R

Not sure if you plan to ride in California or not by your post, but if you do you should know CA has an emissions related program where they issue a red or green sticker. It determines when and where you can ride. Green sticker=ride any of the parks that allow motorcycles anytime. Red sticker=restrictions.

The KLX300 is not only a good handling and reliable 4 stroke but it is also one of the few green sticker bikes. I'm also 5'8" and this has one of the lower seat heights out there, so your confidence will be better (it's 3" lower than a Yamaha). Once you get confident on it you can add a few parts from Stroker and it is a totally different animal (headpipe, pumper carb, shift kit). The only real problem the bikes have is you should replace the idler gear with one from Stroker, which is just $85. You can even dual sport the thing later if you decide to.

Check out the KLX. The only other thumper I'd buy at this point is a KTM 400 E/XC -- which is saying alot about the underrated KLX. I'm also keeping my eyes on the new Honda CRF450 to see if they come out with an enduro version (it's currently MX only), but that's a lot of bike and I need to get better before stepping up to that level.

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
I also have a KLX300 and think it is a great bike. Very under rated in my opinion. I rode my friend's DRZ400 and liked it pretty well although not as much as my KLX. The DRZ is a great bike also and I thought the suspension was really great for the Ohio woods that I ride in. Take your time and educate yourself and I think once you determine what you'll mostly be using it for, you'll be able to select a good bike. The DRN folks are a great source of information.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I total forgot about the KLX. I have not realy seen any around hear. I have only seen one (KLX300), but have never riden one. Looked like a nice enough bike.

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
I live in Oregon I was just working in Cal, the guys I were riding with are realy good riders, three of them are riding 1999&2000 KX 250s two others 2000 yz 426s and me the old CR250 and I was keeping up with them most of the time, the problom was that in the real tight stuff with that on off power band that CR has it was tuff, with all that clutch work and all! I have always likeed the Yamahas and would like to have a four stroke, I just dont know if the WR would be the way to go! Thanks to the guys that replyed, Keith.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Try to ride any bike you're considering before you buy. I loved the idea of a Yamaha WRF but the seat is just too high for me. They also have a more top-heavy feel due to that tall engine (KTMs carry there weight low and you can feel it). Ideally the 250F would have been my mount but I just wasn't comfortable on it (and for whatever reason the 400/426Fs seem more reliable and easier to start).

I had never even considered owning a green bike before since I'd only heard bad things about Kawi's. I actually went out looking for an Honda XR250 when I stumbled across the KLX and I have no regrets. I've ridden XR250s and they're okay, but the KLX300 has it beat in most every way. I will also tell you they are solidly built and every bit as reliable as a Yamaha, though I am a bigger fan of Honda engineering (no one thing stands out, but the Honda's are just well integrated and thought out).

My next bike is a KTM 400 E/XC. If you've never looked at these you owe it to yourself to do so before plunking down your hard earned cash. The Japanese bikes are fine but these European wonders are beautiful. Kind of like comparing a Mazda 626 or Honda Accord to a BMW 540!

Top Bottom